Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you support a family teaching ESL in Latin America?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Can you support a family teaching ESL in Latin America? Reply with quote

Are there any locations in LA where you can support a family on your ESL salary? I'm interested but would be bringing along a spouse and two little ones (5 & 3). I have a TESL degree/certification and a few years experience in North America. My spouse does not have a degree.
water rat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hardly an authority, but as far as I know, it's all practically minimum wage (US), part-time and for backpackers. I guess if you have an M.A., a US state teacher's certificate and possibly a CELTA you could try an international school for embassy children. Do you have any of that? Sorry, don't know if you're American.
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Afraid not, I have a TESL undergraduate (for adults), 250 hour post-grad cert but no MA. Canadian.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF over on the Mexico subforum seems to be doing just that. You might send him/her a PM. If the degree/certification that you're referring to is the type that qualifies you to teach in the public school system in your own country, then, as Water Rat suggested, you'd have a lot of opportunities at elite private or international schools that would pay well. For the most part, though, entry-level TESL jobs are not going to be sufficient to support a family.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might investigate some of the suggestions on this thread and, possibly, PM some of the contributers--most of whom have a great deal of teaching experience in Mexico.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=109629

It sounds like your certification isn't valid for public school teaching but, given your credentials (BA in TESL), I'd think you'd still have a good chance at finding something at an elite private school.

If you're interested in the Dominican Republic, here's a list of private schools that you might investigate further:

http://dr1.com/realestate/info/schools.html

In addition, you might try posting some inquiries on the forums at the same website.

Hopefully, others will chime in with additional options.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
You might investigate some of the suggestions on this thread and, possibly, PM some of the contributers--most of whom have a great deal of teaching experience in Mexico.

It sounds like your certification isn't valid for public school teaching but, given your credentials (BA in TESL), I'd think you'd still have a good chance at finding something at an elite private school.

You would need to speak Spanish to teach in public schools and the pay is not good to start. The benefits are great, though, so for people who plan to live long term in Mexico, and are starting young, it might be a good option. Probably not so much otherwise. It is also very political, so probably not a good option. There are lots of private schools that offer full time work and a living wage, but you would probably need to find a job on your own before moving your family there. I wouldn´t move them unless you have enough money to live on for a year or so. Also, certain parts of Mexico are not very safe right now, so make sure you do your homework before moving to an area that might be unsafe. I have always supported myself teaching, and magaged to save as well. It is not easy at first, though, it takes time to find the right job. Personally, if I didn´t already live in Mexico, I probably would not consider Mexico right now, too much termoil going on, and too many things are uncertain right now. I am not in a position to leave Mexico (we own our home where we live now, and have a rental apartment in Mexico City that we don´t plan to sell), or I would consider it. I am encouraging my son, who is in college in the US, to stay there and not plan on returning to Mexico when he finishes school.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full disclosure,
My husband has a PhD and now earns more than I do.
During his educational journey he received stipend from the Mexican government. There were periods when we lived entirely on my salary. And we survived, but couldn't afford to travel to visit my parents for a couple of years. In fact my daughters first went to the US when they were four years old. There was also a period in which we ate home grown chayotes, beans, and tortillas from corn we grew everyday for the second week of each two week pay period.
If you husband is a househusband that will cut out some of the expenses we had, and the hours I work at the university create additional expenses for example there is free day care but it wasn't available for all the hours I work.

I've always told applicants that we earn enough to support a Mexican family. But not a foreign one. I have a large extended family who has got my back. And by the time my twins were born I'd already earned enough INFONAVIT credits to buy a house. I had furniture and a car. Public transport is plentiful and extensive in Mexico but not particularly cheap.

Bottom line its not particularly easy but its not impossible either.

Oh and as to what BBB said. I've lived in Mexico for nearly 17 years. For the first time ever I've started thinking that we might need to leave. It's been pretty hard to love Mexico these last six months, and I think anyone who doesn't feel the same must be living in some sort of expat bubble.
spanglish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can speak for Colombia.* You would struggle to break even there while supporting only yourself, much less dependents.

Colombia is one of the better paying (if not the best) countries in the region for TEFL. The best teaching jobs there will afford a single person a very comfortable life style, but definitely will not be sufficient to support a western family (think private schooling for your children plus plane tickets once a year to visit the family in North America/the UK). And to get one of those better jobs usually takes years of quality, in-country experience, local contacts, and minimum CELTA/BA (relevant MA is better).

In some cases, international schools would be an exception to the above, but requirements preclude the OP. Another route that would enable supporting a family would be management (not entry-level teaching) positions at the British Council, which of course demand particular qualifications (minimum - but usually more - 2 years post-DELTA teaching and/or management experience).

*Take my advice with a grain of salt as i've been out of the region a couple years. I do remain informed of on-the-ground conditions and if anything conditions for teachers have become more difficult since I left.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:

I've always told applicants that we earn enough to support a Mexican family. But not a foreign one.

I think this is the key information for Ecuador as well. I know people who support an Ecuadorian spouse and kids on a standard English teacher's wage, and they are doing OK. But the ones supporting a foreign spouse and kids are teaching at international schools, have higher qualifications, extensive local experience, etc..

You can get by on a lot less if you live a local lifestyle, have family to help you out and send your kids to local schools. But it's not a realistic option if you want international or bilingual schooling, trips overseas/back home, and anything even vaguely comparable to a USA lifestyle.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:

You can get by on a lot less if you live a local lifestyle, have family to help you out and send your kids to local schools. But it's not a realistic option if you want international or bilingual schooling, trips overseas/back home, and anything even vaguely comparable to a USA lifestyle.

I agree with everything you said except the last bit. You can live a middle class lifestyle with a nice apartment, cable TV, internet, etc on what you make. All of these things are less than they are in the US. The key is to buy local, and not imported stuff, learn to cook with what you can buy locally, that kind of thing. International travel can be problematic, especially with a family, but can do be done at some times of the year, with careful planning. Schools, yeah, huge problem. I ended up homeschooling my son till 8th grade because I could not afford an elite private school, and I wanted him to be Bi-lingual. He did an online virtual school from High School, again in English. There are some good options in terms of private schools in middle class neighborhoods, my neices and nephews all go to smaller, private schools that are a step up from public school, but are not bilingual and really make no allowances for kids who don´t speak Spanish. In some places there are kids who speak English, and, are, in fact, US born who might be able to help. But the really elite schools are out of reach for anyone who is middle class, unless you teach there, then your kids might get to go for free.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
I agree with everything you said except the last bit. You can live a middle class lifestyle with a nice apartment, cable TV, internet, etc on what you make. All of these things are less than they are in the US.

I guess it depends which country/city you are in, and what you consider to be middle class. In Quito, if you rented a nice furnished 2/3 bed apartment in centro-norte with English cable TV, internet, etc, you'd have little to nothing left over on a standard English teacher's wage.
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the fantastic info. I don't think living on my wage is going to be enough. My spouse works in a federal position that sometimes has opportunities to work abroad, perhaps we will explore that option first and then I can consider teaching as an addition, rather than the primary income.
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note, can anyone tell me if Open English hires teachers who do not speak Spanish? It's a "desired" requirement, but is it mandatory? I've heard conflicting things. I do have experience teaching Spanish/Portuguese speakers.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
On a side note, can anyone tell me if Open English hires teachers who do not speak Spanish? It's a "desired" requirement, but is it mandatory? I've heard conflicting things. I do have experience teaching Spanish/Portuguese speakers.

If you are super qualified, maybe. Right now the focus is on Portuguese teachers. You need not have a high level of Portuguese, you could probably pick up enough to get by using a service like Babbel and having specific instructions prepared to read to students, if needed.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is considered good qualifications there? I have an undergraduate in TESL with post-grad certificate. I think I could pick up Portuguese and Spanish fairly well, I hope, as I do speak French. I find that Spanish is somewhat intelligible with French.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: