Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Software Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Software Advice Reply with quote

I'm looking for a software program or language that would allow me to design tests. The basic idea would be to set up tests (mainly multiple choice questions) to run offline with the computer randomising the order of questions and printing out the results. I have been searching on the web but there are so many results, I'd thought I'd ask here. Can anyone help?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IT or eLearning department at your place of work should be able to assist you with this type of request, especially since they'd typically evaluate software for staff and faculty.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Software Advice Reply with quote

Sleepwalker wrote:
I'm looking for a software program or language that would allow me to design tests. The basic idea would be to set up tests (mainly multiple choice questions) to run offline with the computer randomising the order of questions and printing out the results. I have been searching on the web but there are so many results, I'd thought I'd ask here. Can anyone help?

Would Hot Potatoes work for you? You would have to put it on each and every computer. Why offline? You can set up random question and shuffle the answers, too. I use it online and the results are fed through Moodle or Blackboard. I suppose you could set it up on an intranet server.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad Soul - none available or I would have asked them,

I thought of Hot Potatoes but was hoping there was maybe something I could save on a memory stick should the net go down - I'll look at it again. Thanks Gulezar
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do this with Excel, you would need to set it up so each question and the possible answers were all on the same row, and then format it so it would look sensible when printed out. (If you use EntireRow.Copy it will keep the style as well). Then have it randomly select however many rows you want and copy them to a new worksheet and print that out. It gets a bit more complicated if you need to ensure all questions are eventually chosen and none are repeated, but if you literally just want to select x number of rows each time, it would be pretty straightforward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: