Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The weak Rupiah and Living Costs in Indonesia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdickun83

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is mildly related:

I'm looking at an international school job posting and the pay is 33K USD with housing included. How much could I realistically save assuming I live a fairly modest lifestyle? For instance, in Korea I lived on about 500,000 won/ month. Is this worth applying for? The school is in Bali.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody and their mother is going to be applying for that job. The school may also be lying over the pay.
p1randal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

500,000 Won is about 6 million Rupiah and yes you should be able to live a very similar lifestyle.

Bali is more expensive than Jkt but that all depends on your shopping/partying lifestyle. Bali is more like Gagnam/Hongdea, I guess.

I agree with the previous post, if that is a real job then mannnnnnny people will be applying. 33k with a house included is nearly 30million a month which is plenty of cash.

Good luck
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If such a job fr that kind of salary actually exists in Bali I doubt there would be any need to even advertise it.....as a point of comparison- EF can get away with around 5-6 mil a month, and the Ghandi International school 10-12 mil for expat westerners.....and there ain't many of them!
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Jail Time for Beer Drinkers Reply with quote

Indonesia is becoming less and less attractive as a destination for teachers. They might have dropped the threatened Indonesian Fluency Test (for now) but something just as dotty has been offered in its place.

The Parliament has just introduced a new bill to create Prohibition in Indonesia. It was drafted by the Islamist parties, but the secular parties have signaled support as well. A possible exemption for Bali is being considered. Some of the incredible regulations being considered include jail time for beer drinkers. Some of the more important aspects of this law are included below.

Excerpts from the bill

- Article 17
Any person producing or distributing alcoholic drinks will face two to 10 years in prison or a fine of between Rp 200 million (US$15,500) and Rp 1 billion.

- Article 18
Any person consuming alcoholic drinks will face three months to two years in prison or a fine of between Rp 10 million and Rp 50 million.

- Article 19
Any person under the influence of alcohol will face one to five years in prison and fines of between Rp 20 million and Rp 100 million for disturbing public order and threatening the safety of others.

- Article 21
The law will fully take effect one year after its endorsement.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islamists are absolutely intolerable. Islamists, tonight I intend to buy some nice Australian Red Wine. When there are 70 virgins waiting for you, why stick around here? Leave us alone.
mdickun83

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks for the info. There are a bunch of jobs that search associates have listed that are in that range. Seems worth applying and looking into. Thanks again for the help, guys.

Is Bali fun? Is there a good expat scene?
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdickun83 wrote:
THanks for the info. There are a bunch of jobs that search associates have listed that are in that range. Seems worth applying and looking into. Thanks again for the help, guys.

Is Bali fun? Is there a good expat scene?

Based on the info you supplied earlier, you will have a monthly salary of around Rp 36 million. That will be 200-300% more than most teaching jobs in Indonesia pay, so I am sure you will have enough money to enjoy yourself.

In my opinion, Bali is a bit of a concrete jungle and endless traffic jam these days, and it can be pricey in tourist areas. But there are many local places that are more reasonable. You will have no difficulty living well on that wage.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bali is becoming more and more expensive by the day....way too many tourists (especially from down under) are visiting the island and pushing up prices to levels not seen before. I have heard from several colleagues who have been there teaching English there recently that it is extremely difficult to save any money on local EFL wages... and say that the traffic there is a nightmare and air pollution levels are deadly.!! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: