Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The problem with English teachers in Moscow...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fairly gloomy there, Maruss : )

The basic EFLer's lot isn't so bad, even with devaluation. Nothing as stark as you've described for people in other sectors. I mean, I still have my PA, and have kept my euro value at the same level. Fewer trips abroad though... But plenty to see and do internally.
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: spend only roubles! Reply with quote

This seems to be the best route Sasha for the forseeable future?There has been talk of foreign countries such as Egypt and Turkey accepting roubles to avoid losing Russian tourists but Cyprus is not one of them as its in the Euro zone...they are asking for 100 to the euro at exchange places here!!
I know one long-time expat teacher who lost mega money by keeping his savings in the bank in roubles there,but like he said,who was to know what would happen?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Losing money on the currency exchange through rapid currency value depreciaition is nothing new...it is all part of the New World Economic Order...need I say more..okay currency wars!!!!
nfig77

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deats wrote:
OMG it's a lost cause trying to explain the economy to some.

By your reckoning it's great for a government to have a weak currency... really? Then why do all governments prefer not to have a weak currency? Only massive exporters don't want a strong currency (which is why China's RMB is pegged to the USD)

You still don't understand, unfortunately.

Countries DO NOT PAY IN ROUBLES. So Russia receives LESS money than before. Before it got $110 a barrel, now it gets $55. END OF STORY.

What the government does with that money is irrelevant. Russia prints the rouble. It is their money. The government can print as much of it as they like, cos it just devalues the money. Look at inflation in Russia at the minute. Your roubles WILL NOT buy what they bought last year. But your USD WILL!!! Why is that? Duh.

It's like banging my head against a brick wall.

Okay, now let's make the basic assumption that Russia converts its oil dollars to rubles. The weak ruble yields more on the exchange such that (60 x 55) = (30 x 110). Though Russia receives fewer dollars at point of sale, it gets the same amount of rubles (3300/barrel) upon conversion.
снеговик

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ruble is going up, is it not?

Let's see...
Deats

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone wise enough to have followed my advice and stuck their roubles into high interest accounts (36% over 2 years) will literally be laughing all the way to the bank.

When oil prices rise and sanctions are lifted the rouble will fall back to 40 to the dollar.

Anyone who converted their roubles to foreign currency must be kicking themselves right about now.

I guarantee some 'in the know' will have made sums of money that you simply can't imagine from this spike and fall in the rouble. It happened in Cyprus that all the millionaire Russians got their money out before banks took it. The same will have happened here. The gvnt will have told the oligarchs to get their money into USD. The rouble collapsed and the oligarchs bought their roubles back. They will have tripled their money in many cases.

I will be interested to see if the greedy EFL teachers will happily pay back the money they were demanding from their schools...
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A crash course is currency speculation might help EFL teachers in the future NOT lose their hard earned savings as today overseas currencies are linked to ultra capitalistic market forces in the developed world aka New World Economic Order! Shocked
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deats wrote:

I will be interested to see if the greedy EFL teachers will happily pay back the money they were demanding from their schools...

HEY! I am entitled to all that money! I am white and British! I think we've established that this is more than enough reason for me to be paid large sums of money.
kirby42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read through this whole thread and it all seems a bit gloomy.

I'm heading to Russia this summer to teach. It'll be my first 'real' teaching gig. Hope I can do a good job. Excited is an understatement! Very Happy
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let the gloomy threads bring you down. A lot of the negativity is vastly exaggerated. Especially by posts that claim to have some sort of economic analysis of the Russian economy.

So best of luck to you in Russia!

(BTW, coming in summer to teach? Unusual time. Can I ask what sort of job?)
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being realistic is not being gloomy......expect the New World Economic Order@ aka ultra neo capitalism to make your roubles worth less and less day by day in Russia as an EFL teacher....and realistically classify yourself as the teaching poor! Shocked Shocked
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Like I said, posts that make claims, such as the above, are all doom and gloom. But are based on nothing even vaguely rational, and so can be great for a laugh...
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting remarks made here about teaching in Moscow.

Whilst I agree teachers could argue to raise their prices to cover their costs, the increased costs for general living for the locals is also something to seriously consider. I know of at least 1 guy from Birmingham UK who left recently because of the terrible ruble rate as well as not getting paid on time, so with all the natives leaving, it does make the natives more valuable.

However, there must be some compromise - you have to make yourself affordable in any way possible without looking like a sell out, and without overcharging people completely.

Personally, I'm DYING to get to Moscow, and I'm even prepared to get my own visa to get there. Although it helps I have my partner there AND a very very VERY cheap place to live. Remember - Russians will do anything for you if they respect you!

OK so Moscow isn't the saving haven that the Middle East is (where I am now), but it sure is a good experience. If anything, NOW is the time to get jobs there!
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamajorba wrote:

Personally, I'm DYING to get to Moscow, and I'm even prepared to get my own visa to get there. Although it helps I have my partner there AND a very very VERY cheap place to live. Remember - Russians will do anything for you if they respect you!

Methinks teaching is a lesser priority here than "I have my partner" [who will provide] "a very very VERY cheap place to live." So that pretty much accounts for "I'm DYING to get to Moscow".

Best wishes for your journey. Much learning ahead for both the teacher and the students. A well trodden path.
Brunouno

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamajorba wrote:

Remember - Russians will do anything for you if they respect you!

Spend a year in Moscow, and we'll see if you still have the same belief. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: