Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scam alert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enkates

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Scam alert Reply with quote

I Can Read in Singapore jobs are always a scam. You will never get your full housing allowance because they will certainly fire you just prior to your three-month probation period. Singapore law stipulates that employers need not give a reason if you are let go within your first three months. It is a very common technique for keeping cost low in Singapore. This job is suitable only if you want to work like a dog in Singers for eleven weeks and then make your way back to your home country with the money you made. Don't believe it? Why does the ad say they are currently seeking qualified and experienced teachers with Bachelor’s Degrees who are able to commence work in April, May, June and July 2015? Singapore is a small city-state and there is a limited number of I Can Read literacy centers. Those who sign up in April will be replaced by those arriving in July.
http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=34770
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been stated here several times in at least a few different threads. I think the multiple reports are a pretty fair indication that it may well be true, or probably is true, but one thing I can't figure:

ICR recruiting posts on this site say that they pay a base salary of SGD 3500 per month, plus 1000 SGD per month housing allowance, but for the first three (probationary) months, they pay only half the housing allowance (500 SGD). The difference is only 500 Singapore Dollars a month. How is hiring new teachers every three months saving them a great deal of money to the point of being considered a "sound business practice", versus the cost of continually recruiting and training new teachers, and more importantly the instability for students and parents caused by having a constant turnover of teachers?

I guess if they never pay fees for work permits, residence visas, etc, since they know they will fire the teachers within the probation period, they do save quite a bit on that. That also would mean that their teachers are all working illegally, whether they (the teachers) are aware of it or not, wouldn't it?
singaporehabib

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the whole thing fascinating. As I posted here before, I applied several times with no response whatsoever. Not one! Yet I'm a Singapore PR, CELTA qualified and have a LAMDA medal in speech and drama. It's really quite bizarre. I'd love to one day meet someone who is involved with ICN in Singapore just to see what is up with that place.
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: scam Reply with quote

singaporehabib, The problem with I.C.R is they want young fresh out of university degree holders so they can mould them to their techniques.

Aged teachers who have work experience in either teaching or other fields may not be malleable thus they may be argumentative and not teach according to the required formula.

Besides this it is my own experience that the two head honchos who hold Phds in education do not and cannot accept that some else may have a good idea. Just my experience and after over a year of working for them I can not say anything good except I was left alone. I did contact them way back when teachers were being accepted in other countries with better working conditions.

Krakatoa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: