Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1) BEST UK-BASED TESOL MASTERS 2) BEST ONLINE VERSION but...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WHIRLPOOL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject: 1) BEST UK-BASED TESOL MASTERS 2) BEST ONLINE VERSION but... Reply with quote

Hi!
I have a UK PGCE-QTS teaching qualification, a Trinity Cert TESOL and have been a high school teacher for quite a few years.
I have been looking at ESL jobs in the Middle East (UAE, Saudi Arabia. Oman, Kuwait, Bahrain). It seems that if you have an Masters, especially in TESOL, you are ahead of the pack in terms of what recruiters seem to most want. So here’s 2 REQUESTS:

Recommendations please for the best UK based TESOL Masters course/best institution where ‘best’ means:
1) Highly rated by recruiters or the above listed countries and/or
2) Reasonably priced and/or
3) Well organised/structured course from the student’s perspective
4) Highly rated by other institutions – in case I want to study further elsewhere

Reading some related threads on the general discussion board, it seems that online TESOL Masters courses are not accepted by some countries due to online coursework concerns – but this can be circumvented if the graduation certificate does NOT mention that the course was online?

Recommendations again please for the best ONLINE TESOL masters course anywhere in the world where the institution
a) Has the usual “walk-in” Masters course as well as offering an online version
b) DOES NOT specify on the graduation certificate they produce that the course studied was an online one.

Thanks
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHIRLPOOL wrote:
Reading some related threads on the general discussion board, it seems that online TESOL Masters courses are not accepted by some countries due to online coursework concerns – but this can be circumvented if the graduation certificate does NOT mention that the course was online?

I'm not sure where you read that, but that's incorrect. Although the diploma and academic transcript aren't likely to indicate the qualifying degree included online coursework, the mode of instructon gets confirmed in writing or verbally with the applicant's university registrar by the (Saudi, Qatari, Bahraini, or Kuwaiti) government department that reviews academic credentials for employment visa processing.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject: Teacher, go for it Reply with quote

In the UAE, the vision is to phase out university foundation programs. The place to teach will be high schools for the next few years. If you get a Masters in TESOL, most places will want to see years of experience after you obtained the degree.

If I were in your place, I would consider applying for high school teaching positions in the UAE, and then, if I got a job, I would do a Masters or EdD in the UAE. You would have your feet on the ground and could use your job for your research. Quite a few folks have studied at Exeter, in specific the EdD of TESOL. http://socialsciences.exeter.ac.uk/education/graduatestudies/professionaldoctorates/eddtesoldubai/

A Masters or EdD could give you a step into the reintroduction of the foundation programs or whatever these morph into. Eventually, there will be a new name, as long as it is not Bridge, Prep or Foundation. A sparkling new EdD could come up with a spanking new name and concept. Too bad that "old wine, new skins" just would not be appropriate for the region.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, if you want to teach in the region, forget about obtaining an (in class) MA in TESOL; it would only qualify you for an entry-level TEFL job in KSA unless you have several years of post-MA experience. Instead, focus on international schools in the UAE or Qatar where you're considered an experienced educator in your subject (science). In other words, you already have the qualifications and experience to teach science in the region. Give Teach Away's site a look.
WHIRLPOOL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Masters or Online Masters Reply with quote

Thanks Nomad Soul and Gulezar for your insight....very helpful
WHIRLPOOL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: er....Putting up an avatar.. Reply with quote

Sorry to trouble you guys,,,but how do I do it?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find an avatar... (be sure it is a smallish one) and past the link at the bottom of the "profile" page.

I do believe that you need to have made a certain number of posts before you can add an avatar. If the avatar section doesn't show up, it is because of your post number. As I recall, it is quite a high number.

VS
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1) BEST UK-BASED TESOL MASTERS 2) BEST ONLINE VERSION bu Reply with quote

WHIRLPOOL wrote:
Hi!
I have a UK PGCE-QTS teaching qualification, a Trinity Cert TESOL and have been a high school teacher for quite a few years.
I have been looking at ESL jobs in the Middle East (UAE, Saudi Arabia. Oman, Kuwait, Bahrain). It seems that if you have an Masters, especially in TESOL, you are ahead of the pack in terms of what recruiters seem to most want. So here’s 2 REQUESTS:

Recommendations please for the best UK based TESOL Masters course/best institution where ‘best’ means:
1) Highly rated by recruiters or the above listed countries and/or
2) Reasonably priced and/or
3) Well organised/structured course from the student’s perspective
4) Highly rated by other institutions – in case I want to study further elsewhere

Recommendations again please for the best ONLINE TESOL masters course anywhere in the world where the institution
a) Has the usual “walk-in” Masters course as well as offering an online version
b) DOES NOT specify on the graduation certificate they produce that the course studied was an online one.

Thanks

The cheapest MA in TESOL in the UK is at Portsmouth, only 4500GBP for the whole course! And apparently it's a pretty good course too. Southampton and Birmingham also have pretty good courses.

Honestly, I think it's pretty easy to get a decent paid job in Saudi Arabia, as I've seen totally unqualified people teaching at universities there, and most teachers just don't seem to have any experience at all...they accept lies easily!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: