Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you fairly paid?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Are you fairly paid? Reply with quote

The 2015 Special Salary Issue

This year's Special Salary Issue includes information about faculty salary trends, by state, pay equity between women and men (not yet!!), the effects of so-called "Right to Work" laws, and stipends for graduate assistants.

It also includes average salaries for faculty at every public college and university in the U.S.

http://www.nea.org/assets/docs/HE/1503Advocate.pdf

Regards,
John
water rat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, all this has to do with Einstein's equation about the rich getting richer yada yada.

But to answer your question, friend water rat is the exception to every rule.

No, I am not fairly paid. I work 40 minutes a day four days a week, and have one day of four 40-minute periods spread out between 9 a.m. and 5:40 p.m. Thru some quirk of fate I get nearly two grand a month for this and make more than the principal of my school - minus his kickbacks. I can't complain but sometimes I still do.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. In dollars my pay is 50% less than it was in 2008.
Japan is really not a good destination for teaching.

That is why I have decided just to move back to the US in the future.
At least I can get work and get to see my relatives.
DebMer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. Yes and no. I don't think I make a bad hourly wage, but I would like the opportunity to work full time in ESL - a near impossibility in my area. Also, the nature of my program's funding doesn't allow for any paid office hours, so we end up doing some work on our own time. Not a whole lot - things like lesson planning, attendance records and other paperwork. It probably amounts to an extra couple of hours per week that is unpaid. The other negative is that I travel to 3 different classrooms, so that's another chunk of time (plus gas, wear and tear) that's unpaid. If you tally it all up, I have 24 actual teaching hours per week, but put in another 9 or 10 in traveling and prep/paperwork. Sheesh! Looking at it that way, it looks pretty bad.

However, the word "fair" doesn't work for me. Wages are determined by many different factors. In the end, the employer and the employee have to determine if they can work together under the agreed-upon terms and conditions, or they must part ways. In my case I deliberately avoid getting the job I'm qualified to do for more money/fixed location/benefits (elementary school teacher) in order to continue to do the work I really enjoy. Do I wish it paid more? Absolutely. It would make my life much easier. Do I feel I'm being treated unfairly? Mostly no, except for the couple of unpaid hours of work I do. (This I feel they could make an effort to compensate us for.)
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long story short, probably not. That being said, between my teaching and other odd jobs, I cobble together enough to survive. Living off a $1500 a month adjunct salary can be done, but what's really killing me is health insurance benefits as, for awhile, the monthly premiums were nearly exceeding the rest of my combined monthly expenses. Now that Obamacare has fully kicked in, I've been buying through our state's health care exchange, which isn't particularly great, but it is an improvement. Fortunately, I do put in enough hours at my school to meet the 30 hour threshold that requires them to let me join their insurance plan which I will do this summer when they begin complying with their obligations under the affordable care act.
santi84

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at about $900-1100 a month and always hoping for renewal. It is pretty bunk Sad I supplement by doing K-12 sub work as a TA for ESL students.

Office hours and prep time? One day, one day. I hope.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: