Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tunisia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hashim1991

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Tunisia Reply with quote

Hello, all

After a year teaching in Saudi Arabia, I'm considering living and working in Tunisia. It looks great, Tunis especially. The only problem is the lack of online ads for jobs.

Has anyone here worked in Tunisia? What is the best way to go about looking for jobs? I'm easy between teaching kids or adults and not fussy about pay - more looking for somewhere that isn't going to mess me around (if there is such a place for someone with my qualifications and experience - I have an undergraduate degree in Arabic, and a CELTA). I looked around on the forums and the rest of the internet and can't find much on the subject.

Many thanks in advance!
mitsui

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only heard of Amideast, but I guess there is the British Council.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tunisia is a place best visited as a tourist.....you will definitely have cash flow problems there as an EFL teacher....that is earning, saving, exporting and importing any form of cash aka currency. There are severe currency controls upon entry and exit...be forewarned! Shocked
hashim1991

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Tunisia is a place best visited as a tourist.....you will definitely have cash flow problems there as an EFL teacher....that is earning, saving, exporting and importing any form of cash aka currency. There are severe currency controls upon entry and exit...be forewarned! Shocked

so is there no legal way to take money out of the country? that could be a fairly big problem
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hashim1991 wrote:
EFL Educator wrote:

so is there no legal way to take money out of the country? that could be a fairly big problem

As I understand it, you can take out of the country only as much as you brought in. Or rather only as much as you can prove you brought in. But I'm not particularly knowledgeable about Tunisian currency laws, and have no recent personal experience--it's just what I heard or read somewhere. So you should verify.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hashim1991 wrote:
So is there no legal way to take money out of the country? that could be a fairly big problem

Discussed on "Country Warning: TUNISIA"
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=108381
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Exchange Control" is the system where the Central Bank controls remittances sent out of a country. Common in the developing world. It was often the case that contract workers could remit a certain percentage of their salary - usually 25% or 33%

That was certainly the case in Libya when Gaddafi was in charge and in Algeria for most of the period since Independence.

It was also very common in ex-British colonies after Independence. I suffered under this system in Zambia for many years. (But the British ODA made up for it by paying a hefty "sterling supplement" on top of my local salary.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_exchange_controls
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: