Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer Jobs in Qatar?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawd, a criticism of the BC based on anecdotal evidence. Never saw that one coming!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candykisk wrote:
Thanks psychecdelicacy for your optimism, I really appreciate that.

One can have optimism, but it's really about possessing the requirements employers in this region expect. Qatar and the UAE are the most desirable GCC countries in terms of both pay and quality of life. As such, jobs are quite competitive, and employers don't need to be relaxed with their requirements (which you discovered). There are plenty of job seekers who already have years of experience with Arabic speakers in this region, often gained from teaching in Saudi Arabia (i.e., they paid their dues). That specific learner experience makes those applicants more desirable to employers.

An MA in TESOL and a couple of years of experience is enough to secure a direct-hire position in KSA or Oman for two years. Something to think about if you're interested in breaking into this region and ultimately, teaching in your targeted countries.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psychedelicacy wrote:
Gawd, a criticism of the BC based on anecdotal evidence. Never saw that one coming!

Apparently you are new to boards. 90% of the information here is anecdotal. Fortunately that is not a synonym for inaccurate. Mine was based on 5 countries and comments from a couple dozen people with direct experience - most of whom had worked there.

They are a dependable employer and I don't hesitate to suggest that qualified UK teachers apply. But to suggest to a non-CELTA holding American that she has any chance is not helpful for her.

VS
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mine was based on 5 countries and comments from a couple dozen people with direct experience - most of whom had worked there.

And what did they say? That the BC "tended to be a snobbish lot"? And they "could regale you with tales of their strange and hypocritical ways"? That does not in any way support your prior assertion that "the BC normally only hires "other nationalities" if they can't get someone with a UK passport", which was what I disputed. Even if it were actually true that the BC are snobby, strange and hypocritical, this has nothing to do with whether or not they only hire other nationalities if they can't get someone with a UK passport.

Quote:
But to suggest to a non-CELTA holding American that she has any chance is not helpful for her.

I had no idea she didn't have a certificate. She made no mention of that. Not having a certificate completely rules her out of getting a job at the BC, as has been acknowledged already. Anyway, someone in the future who wonders if summer school in Qatar is possible might stumble upon this thread and realize that the BC has summer school positions, as indeed it has year-round, short-term contracts.

Quote:
90% of the information here is anecdotal.

There's good anecdotal evidence and bad. Bad anecdotal evidence: "I know many people who said X, therefore X is true". Bad anecdotal evidence: citing the 'fact' that most of the teachers who work at the BC are British, therefore the BC prefers to hire Britons, when this might be more likely due to Britons being more likely to apply because the BC is quite well known in the UK.

Good anecdotal evidence: someone who has worked at the BC and knows that nationality is irrelevant when applying for a job there, unless visa regulations make it an issue. There is absolutely no preference for British English or British candidates at the BC.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know which countries this applies to " . . . unless visa regulations make it an issue."?

"Council jobs can be searched on their web site or look for ads in the Guardian and the Times Education Supplement or Higher Ed. Supplement. Some, but by no means all, of their jobs are restricted to British citizens. Most interviews are in London. British Council schools may also hire locally wherever they are, but these jobs usually do not have benefits like airfare and housing that the London-hired ones do."

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously... to try to make out that the BC is some "equal opportunity employer" is rather laughable. Of course branch X would say that 90% of their teachers are British because they were "the most qualified." Laughing Laughing

Psyche must be with BC since he is so concerned about the fact that not even all the Brits agree with him (and I neglected to get their opinions in writing to prove it)

VS
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonslat wrote:
Most interviews are in London.

That might be true of other jobs in the organization, but not of teaching. Teachers are usually interviewed on Skype by the actual centre they're applying to, not the London office.

veiledsentiments wrote:
Of course branch X would say that 90% of their teachers are British because they were "the most qualified."

No idea what that's even in response to. Obviously there's no point even trying to have a logical discussion with you. And no, I'm not at the BC, not even a TEFL monkey at all any more. Yippee!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... so John... ignore their website...

... and he can't even follow his own discussion... because... logic... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I did try to use simple words. Enough of this.

VS
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: