Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Campaign to change the "face" of US currency
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
water rat

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Latest News Update. Note: Harriet Tubman, the conductor of the underground railroad, not only escaped slavery, but made more than a dozen trips BACK to help others along!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, Rat.

That's cool, considering all but Lincoln ($5 bill), owned slaves at some point---some longer than others. Harriet Tubman was my top pick followed by Eleanor Roosevelt. If approved by Treasury Secretary Jack Lew, Tubman's image would replace controversial Andrew Jackson.
Listerine

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honey Boo Boo's mom?
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some compelling points to consider:

Keep Harriet Tubman – and all women – off the $20 bill
Harriet Tubman did not fight for capitalism, free trade, or competitive markets.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/05/14/keep-harriet-tubman-and-all-women-off-the-20-bill/?tid=pm_opinions_pop_b

After all, no argumentative essay is complete without a counterargument. Wink

Last edited by esl_prof on Thu May 14, 2015 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear esl_prof,

Hmm, the way I teach it, it's the argumentative essay that always features counter claims:

Argumentative essay

Makes claims based on factual evidence.

Makes counter-claims. The author takes opposing views into account.

Neutralizes or "defeats" serious opposing ideas.

Convinces audience through the merit and reasonableness of the claims and proofs offered.

Often compares texts or ideas to establish a position.

Logic based.

Persuasive essay

May make claims based on opinion.

May not take opposing ideas into account.

Persuades by appealing to the audience’s emotion or by relying on the character or credentials of the writer – less on the merits of his or her reasons and evidence.

Emotion-based

Regards,
John
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John Slat,

At my school, the terms persuasive, argumentative, and opinion seem to be used interchangeably, depending on whose class we're talking about.

That being said, I've changed the term to argumentative as your definition is a better fit for what I had in mind.

Regards,

esl_prof
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear esl_prof,

Well, I certainly don't want to be argumentative about it, but I guess I was persuasive enough to cause the change. Very Happy

Just my opinion. Smile

Regards,
John
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A woman will appear on redesigned $10 bill in 2020
By Ylan Q. Mui and Abby Ohlheiser, The Washington Post | 17 June 2015
Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/woman-to-appear-on-10-bill-in-2020/2015/06/17/90f7c3ee-153c-11e5-89f3-61410da94eb1_story.html

Will it be Susan B. Anthony or Harriet Tubman? Eleanor Roosevelt or Rosa Parks? Or another important woman from American history? These will be among the names the nation ponders after the Obama administration’s announcement late Wednesday that a woman will be featured on the $10 bill, the first time in well over a century that a female portrait will grace the United States’ paper money.

The redesigned bill will be unveiled in 2020 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the right of women to vote. The Treasury Department is launching a massive public campaign to solicit suggestions through social media and town halls for what the bill should look like and who should be on it. The only requirements for candidacy are that the woman be deceased and embody the theme of the bill’s new look: 'Democracy.' “America’s currency makes a statement about who we are and what we stand for as a nation,” said Treasury Secretary Jack Lew, who has the authority to make the decision.

The debate over who should be the face of the new $10 bill could become part of a wider conversation about the social and economic progress of women. Selecting just one person for such a symbolic role may involve trade-offs, forcing officials to decide which major milestone in American history to highlight. As it proceeds, the Treasury Department could also face backlash over its decision to replace or de-emphasize the current face of the $10 bill, Alexander Hamilton, the country’s first secretary of the treasury, who advocated for a national currency. (Officials said some bills could still portray Hamilton, perhaps in combination with a woman.) Earlier this year, as discussion over placing a woman to appear on U.S. currency began to heat up this year, some had suggested replacing Andrew Jackson, the controversial seventh president, who is featured on the $20 bill.

Though the Founding Fathers have long dominated the dollar, the only portrait actually required by law is that of George Washington on the $1 bill. The last time a woman was featured was in the late 1800s, when Martha Washington appeared on the silver-dollar certificate. Other attempts to incorporate images of women into the nation’s currency have failed to take off. Susan B. Anthony and Sacagawea had brief sojourns on the $1 coin before the U.S. Mint largely stopped making them, because of a lack of popularity. Pocahontas was part of a group portrait on a bill circulated in the mid-19th century.

“Young girls across this country will soon be able to see an inspiring woman on the ten dollar bill who helped shape our country into what it is today and know that they too can grow up and do something great for their country,” Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.), who introduced a bill in April to get a female face onto American currency, said in a statement. “Make no mistake, this is a historic announcement and a big step forward.” Her legislation was a response to a movement calling for an overhaul of the $20 bill. A campaign called “Women on 20s” petitioned the White House this spring to oust Jackson from the denomination. Replacing him with a woman was only part of the reason for targeting the twenty. The group also objected to Jackson’s authorization and enforcement of the Indian Removal Act of 1830, which forced several Native American tribes to give up their land to white farmers and move to what is now Oklahoma. Jackson was also skeptical of paper money, preferring to use gold or silver.

The Women on 20s campaign went viral, and more than 600,000 people voted in an online poll for a new image. Out of a list of 15 women suggested by the group, Tubman emerged as the top choice. “It’s been our goal from the beginning to see the face of a woman on our paper currency,” Susan Ades Stone, the group’s executive director, said in a phone interview. “So naturally I’m excited to hear that our mission will be accomplished.” She said she did not mind that Jackson is staying on the $20 bill. Putting a woman on the $10 bill appears to be the quickest solution, she said.

Lew said the timing of the Treasury Department’s announcement was a “happy coincidence.” The $10 bill was already in line for a redesign, he said, and it will also incorporate new security features. The $10 bill is a staple of Americans’ wallets, with nearly 2 billion in circulation. Still, the $20 bill is vastly more popular: 8 billion are in circulation, and they last almost twice as long.

“I can’t claim that we gave them the idea,” Ades Stone said. But, she added, “I do believe that their decision to go to the public for input is the result of the public response to our campaign.” Even President Obama — father to two daughters, it should be noted — has weighed in. During a speech in Kansas City, Mo., in July, he said he had received a letter from a 9-year-old girl asking him why there were no women on American money. “I think there should be more women on a Dollar/coin for the United States becuas if there where no woman there wouldnt be men,” wrote Sofia (with a few misspellings). Obama responded by calling her suggestion “a pretty good idea.”

(End of article)
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the current state of public interest in her, I'm a little surprised no one has yet put forth the suggestion that Ms. Caitlyn Jenner be chosen. Very Happy

Regards,
John
Knedliki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolly Parton with a cowboy hat on would look pretty good on a bank note.
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Looking good Reply with quote

Halle Berry with nothing on would be better. Very Happy
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olive Oyl.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Why am I not surprised to see male posters trivializing this decision and the historical contributions of women from the days of fighting slavery to the Women's Suffrage to the US Civil Rights Movement. Rolling Eyes
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear nomad soul,

Are you absolutely certain we're all male (or even STILL male) ? These days, gender can change from one day to the next. Very Happy

Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will compromise. My other choice is Daffy Duck who is, I am certain, of the male gender.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: