Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kuwait TQLS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CVN-76

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
The problem is local top management who allows the place to be run by whoever best kisses their backside, not by who knows what they are doing or what needs to be done.
Too much of the dregs of our field washes up on the shores of the Gulf... some of the worst in Kuwait, it seemed to me.

VS

This should be no surprise in a place where a family of 8 will come out of a McDs in a brand-new Lexus SUV, dump all their garbage on the parking lot or street, and drive off, leaving the mess for somebody else. Kuwait was one of the trashiest dumps I saw on my tour. People talk about how beautiful it is. Maybe outside of KC it is. But inside? Vientiane, Laos was nicer. It's the mindset.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuwait is now enacting stricter work visa regulations for EFL instructors...according to my colleagues teaching there those native English teachers applying for an Iqama (work permit) in Kuwait must return back to their home countries for visa processing to do all the paperwork required by the Kuwaiti Embassy there. This cannot be done while overseas even if one claims residence as in the past. It seems now the UAE and Oman will soon follow suit....so expect to return home if want want to teach in the GCC countries Shocked
CVN-76

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good move. Rumour had it that the DOS at an employer I nearly worked at in Kuwait was wanted for pedophilia in Egypt. One teacher at the same place had a fake master's degree. Yet another supposedly was kicked out of the French Foreign Legion for doing/selling/stealing cocaine. And the icing on the cake? One teacher attacked another, sending him to the hospital, with nothing happening to the attacker. Teachers should be forced to be cleared through their home countries. Verification of degrees and NATIONAL CRCs should be provided by each new hire. I also think some kind of proof of awareness of proper mannerisms should be provided by each new hire, indicating he/she is aware of the level of respect that must be paid to the natives, along with some kind of certification that each new hire can properly dress, bathe, and stay sober in the GCC. No more combat boots with mixed socks with pants two inches too high, and no more backwards neckties. No more drunks, either, using the ME as a place to park their fannies so they can remain drunks AND keep a job. Unbelievable. Again, I am damn glad I'm done with it.
caliph

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"with pants two inches too high"

Maybe they are "Matahwah".
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CVN-76 wrote:
This is a good move. Rumour had it that the DOS at an employer I nearly worked at in Kuwait was wanted for pedophilia in Egypt. One teacher at the same place had a fake master's degree. Yet another supposedly was kicked out of the French Foreign Legion for doing/selling/stealing cocaine. And the icing on the cake? One teacher attacked another, sending him to the hospital, with nothing happening to the attacker. Teachers should be forced to be cleared through their home countries. Verification of degrees and NATIONAL CRCs should be provided by each new hire. I also think some kind of proof of awareness of proper mannerisms should be provided by each new hire, indicating he/she is aware of the level of respect that must be paid to the natives, along with some kind of certification that each new hire can properly dress, bathe, and stay sober in the GCC. No more combat boots with mixed socks with pants two inches too high, and no more backwards neckties. No more drunks, either, using the ME as a place to park their fannies so they can remain drunks AND keep a job. Unbelievable. Again, I am damn glad I'm done with it.

I worked there and recognise the individuals as described! Kuwait is a dump and the place described was a joke.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the wretched details I described I saw at one employer in only about a month. But that's the ME for ya. And then there's the employer for whom Headway works. I've been reading way-negative posts about TQLS for years. I wouldn't go back to Kuwait for less than about 8,000 USD a month, 20 hours teaching a week, private apartment with NO roommates, round trip flights provided, and paid vacation of at least two months.
mashkif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CVN-76 wrote:
All the wretched details I described I saw at one employer in only about a month. But that's the ME for ya. And then there's the employer for whom Headway works. I've been reading way-negative posts about TQLS for years. I wouldn't go back to Kuwait for less than about 8,000 USD a month, 20 hours teaching a week, private apartment with NO roommates, round trip flights provided, and paid vacation of at least two months.

You're not gonna get that there for teaching English, that's for sure. I doubt you'd get that ANYWHERE for teaching English.

If you had a doctorate and could hence teach an academic subject (i.e. not in the foundation program), all the above would be very much achievable though. Indeed, you'd be teaching 12-15 hours a week, not 20.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:

I worked there and recognise the individuals as described! Kuwait is a dump and the place described was a joke.

Careful, Muscat. People here may start to think we're the same person. Well, wait a minute. Let's mess with them so they WILL think we're the same person.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: re Mashkif Reply with quote

On the contrary, such a job exists and I have it.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that you're in the UAE. But the question is... does that high number include housing and other benefits? As I recall from reading the UAE board, you are paying for your housing out of that number...

CVN was referring to basic salary only.

VS
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No news from TQLS in a long time....is anyone out there still working for them....and are the now strict Kuwaiti work visa/Iqama laws scaring people away.. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: