Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Immigration and Non-Native Speakers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Immigration and Non-Native Speakers Reply with quote

I've been hearing about immigration cracking down on non-native speakers trying to obtain a visa for work as English teachers. At least in DF, the word is that if you aren't from an English speaking country, you're not going to get the visa if offered a job as an English teacher, regardless of experience/qualifications.

If you're in this position, best to ask about a position teaching history, social studies, science, etc even if it is taught in English or even if technically a position teaching English.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

At least in DF, the word is that if you aren't from an English speaking country, you're not going to get the visa if offered a job as an English teacher,

Guy, do you know if the acceptable country list includes UK, US, Canada, Australia, NZ, Ireland, and South Africa?

Last edited by AGoodStory on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, yes, the usual suspects are fine. I thought that Europe as a whole got a pass, but that isn't the case.

My recent experience has been with teachers from Spain, Greece, Russia, and the Ukraine being turned down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
As far as I know, yes, the usual suspects are fine. I thought that Europe as a whole got a pass, but that isn't the case.

My recent experience has been with teachers from Spain, Greece, Russia, and the Ukraine being turned down.

That is interesting, Guy. In Korea, the only legal countries from which ESL teachers may come are the seven mentioned by AGoodStory. Teachers from India and the Philippines are NOT allowed to teach English in Korea, which has actually become a sore point in economic negotiations between Korea and the Philippines. Filipinos work around the restriction by promoting English courses IN the Philippines (much more cheaply offered there than in Australia, say), and by offering telephone lessons.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy, do have any updates or more recent experience with visas for non-native speakers who want to teach English? The question came up on another thread today:

Quote:

I know firsthand that this is not true. I know, firsthand, a number of teachers from Zimbabwe and Mozambique in DF who all work as English teachers. They are not native speakers, though they do speak at a high level. They were all given residency based on working as English teachers. I also knew a woman from Romania who worked at Interlingua and had a work visa. And two Polish women, same thing. These are all people I know personally, not secondhand.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=111469&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

I wonder if the teachers mentioned in this post could all have obtained visas prior to the crackdown you described last April, or if things have since changed. Do you know what the current policy is?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No updates since then as I haven't been in to ask...

I'd be surprised to hear a Romanian woman got a work visa sponsored through Interlingua. I didn't think Interlingua did visas for anyone...
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
No updates since then as I haven't been in to ask...

I'd be surprised to hear a Romanian woman got a work visa sponsored through Interlingua. I didn't think Interlingua did visas for anyone...

Sure they do, though they also hire a fair number of Mexican teachers. The Romanian woman and one of the Polish women still work for Interlingua. You have the option to work with Honorarios and get paid a bit more, or work as an employee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: