Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The British Institute-Malang
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p1randal

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though it may be splitting hairs, this incident in Jalan Jaksa wouldn't impact someone on a tourist visa or VKU if they have their passports on them. It didn't seem to matter what Visa these people had/have but simply the fact they didn't have their information on them.

Wouldn't immigration have to "catch" you at work to prove you are working illegally?

Either way, working here without a KITAS is dicey. If you were doing that, I would stay away from Jalan Jaksa or Hyam Wruck or any of the other dodgy areas where they police tend to raid. I doubt they are raiding Plaza Senayan or Pacific Place..
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p1randal wrote:

This raid stuff though is a bit much and is alarming. Do they expect expats to have their passport on them 24/7? Seems a bit much but I guess that's what they want.

I'm sure it is a wise idea to carry at least a photocopy of one's passport ID page and KITAS / KITAP / passport visa page when going out, though I never do so here, nor have I ever been asked for any documents in a public place.

But carrying one's actual passport around in a place like Jl Jaksa (I've never been there myself, but I understand it to be sort of Jakarta's equivalent to the Khao San Road in Bangkok, or the RL district) sounds like a good way to get one's passport stolen ... Exclamation
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated previously in this thread-the westerners arrested in Jalan jaksa were already carrying a photocopy of documents, passport + kitas, and still they were arrested for not carrying the originals......it's absolutely a ridiculous idea to carry originals around.....replacing the kitas-which is just a piece of paper, costs around 4 million Rp!
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Raids on Expatriates' Homes Planned Reply with quote

Fresh proof that Indonesian authorities are determined to drive out foreigners arrived today. Raiding schools and other workplaces isn't enough, it seems. There are still too many foreigners without the correct documents around. So now the new plan is to conduct raids on expats' homes and see if they can catch them out. It's all getting very xenophobic and hostile. Here is the news of the latest madness:

The Jakarta Population and Civil Registration Agency has aired plans to launch raids on expatriates’ homes in Jakarta, following reports that many foreigners lack proper documents.

Agency head Edison Sianturi said the agency was currently mapping residential areas to target.

“We will work together with local leaders to find out where foreigners without proper documents usually reside,” he said as quoted by kompas.com on Thursday.

The agency will work with related institutions, including the immigration office, the local police and the Jakarta Public Order Agency (Satpol PP) to carry out the raids.

On Tuesday, the Central Jakarta Immigration Office arrested five foreigners on Jl. Jaksa in Indonesia without proper documents. The next day, City Police arrested 33 Chinese nationals at a house in Pasar Minggu, South Jakarta, for allegedly carrying out cyber crimes.

- See more at: http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2015/05/15/greater-jakarta-city-execute-raids-expatriates-residences.html#sthash.dNMgyMj7.dpuf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: