Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any volunteer positions in North Sumatra ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdiblasio

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Any volunteer positions in North Sumatra ??? Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

Does anyone know anywhere in North Sumatra needing volunteers? Particularly in Banda Aceh or around this area? But open to hear about anything in North Sumatra area as well!!

Would love to know any info!

Thank you so much!

Mikaela
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us on these forums work for a living as teachers....I take it you are offering teaching services for free? I've no idea if Banda Aceh has any need for your services-I would suggest going through some aid agency for something like this......Unicef used to [a few years ago] supply volunteer teachers to Raja Empat-in Papua.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're American, there's the Peace Corps. Also look into Habitat for Humanity in Indonesia (http://www.habitatindonesia.org/en/). Otherwise, contact your embassy in Indonesia; they would be familiar with projects and NGOs active in the country.
pauleslteacher1

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to put a downer to helping out and all.... but I don't think you can officially volunteer without a special visa... So you should look into that first...
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure but I think that Habitat for Humanity, as mentioned, may be active in North Sumatra (SumUt). I think they may have an office / hq in Medan. You might try contacting or joining the facebook group North Sumatra Expats - or something along those lines, I'm not sure of the exact name - they might be able to give some ideas or info.

However, I kind of doubt whether HFH's programs involve teaching English, but they may.

A "technical"note: I think you may have wanted to say "volunteer opportunities in Northern Sumatra
" rather than "North Sumatra" ... North Sumatra, or Sumatera Utara, is the name of one of Sumatra's provinces, and Banda Aceh is not in North Sumatra, it''s in Aceh province.

When I first came to Medan in 2011, there was a volunteer position available at Bukit Lawang, a couple of hours drive away from the city. It was a two month (possibly renewable, I'm not sure) contract and paid a small stipend / living subsidy, plus (if I recall correctly) partial travel costs. It was an English teaching positiion.
Deats

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it teaching orangutans Very Happy
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, orang desa ... but you were close.

I did manage to get a gander at a couple of the furry people thereabouts ...

http://i.imgur.com/MaMIZqG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mF6VVh5.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: