Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Rules at HCT...(and affecting ZU and UAEU)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danshengou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But in theory you could scan in at 8am and be off-campus as you need and just return to scan at 5pm, right? Or do you have to scan out every time you want to leave?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdurian wrote:
Got no problems with fingerprinting, if you're on time and leaving at the right time what's the problem?

Think they're more to stop some locals' bad habits really.

No... it is to make sure that all the slaves who teach their classes are chained to their desks whether they need to be there or not... just like a batch of factory workers rather than tertiary educators.

Control of the female students is another issue... the families expect you to keep them in the building. Male students have always come and gone as they wished. I suspect that this isn't enforced for them at most of the colleges.

Quote:
But in theory you could scan in at 8am and be off-campus as you need and just return to scan at 5pm, right? Or do you have to scan out every time you want to leave?

But you would have to pass the front office to get out... and yes, they are watching (and were even before the scanning started).

So, yes, you have to scan in and out every time you leave. And if you don't have permission to be off campus, your pay will be docked.

VS
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: New Rules at HCT Reply with quote

To add to VS' post on clocking in and out--As reported from current instructors:

It is standard procedure at all HCT campuses to clock in and out each time one enters or leaves and is strictly enforced, "not just for expats but also locals. Failure to do so will result in pay adjustments. Staff are on a fairly rigid 8-4 schedule, but instructors are accorded some 'flexibility,' i.e., one may arrive early or late [for appointments] as long as one complies with a minimum of 40 hours of work weekly."

PS

Last edited by peripatetic_soul on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
bigdurian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
bigdurian wrote:
Got no problems with fingerprinting, if you're on time and leaving at the right time what's the problem?

Think they're more to stop some locals' bad habits really.

No... it is to make sure that all the slaves who teach their classes are chained to their desks whether they need to be there or not... just like a batch of factory workers rather than tertiary educators.

Control of the female students is another issue... the families expect you to keep them in the building. Male students have always come and gone as they wished. I suspect that this isn't enforced for them at most of the colleges.

Quote:

But you would have to pass the front office to get out... and yes, they are watching (and were even before the scanning started).

So, yes, you have to scan in and out every time you leave. And if you don't have permission to be off campus, your pay will be docked.

VS

But you're not chained to your desk. You're just on the premises where you're paid to be for forty hours a week or whatever it is.

Why is that a problem?

Don't like the system, don't take the job.....
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on that then, the only real restraint on movement is just clocking in and clocking out at the agreed upon time - and showing up for your classes of course. I wouldn't say that's a deal killer. If one wanted to go somewhere for an occasional long lunch or afternoon walk, I don't suspect there would be an issue. So there seems to be room to maneuver within the system.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that you might be wrong based on their current draconian control oriented management. There is only room to follow the rules... whether there is any logic or necessity... or not.

Classroom teaching at tertiary level is NOT a 40 hour a week in the office job. (nor are you building widgets)

One could suggest that one could do preps or whatever in that extra 20 non-contact hours... but that, of course, is completely impossible in their large cubicle filled offices. Unless one can work in the complete chaos of ringing phones, giggling students, and twenty conversations going on around you...

VS
bigdurian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I suspect that you might be wrong based on their current draconian control oriented management. There is only room to follow the rules... whether there is any logic or necessity... or not.

Classroom teaching at tertiary level is NOT a 40 hour a week in the office job. (nor are you building widgets)

One could suggest that one could do preps or whatever in that extra 20 non-contact hours... but that, of course, is completely impossible in their large cubicle filled offices. Unless one can work in the complete chaos of ringing phones, giggling students, and twenty conversations going on around you...

VS

So you're saying you want a job where you can just go in and do your classes and leave.

Bit of a problem in the gulf where desk warming is popular.

Also, if they're paying you for forty hours, how can they verify what you're doing when you're not there? You might be diligent and hardworking, but I'm fairly sure you would be in the minority.
2buckets

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the good old days, I usually went from my car to the classroom, and from the classroom to my car. Did my prep in the peace and quiet of my home. As VS said, it's difficult to work in the bedlam of the open plan area.

Did attend the meetings, but at the time the director hated meetings and limited them to 10 minutes and as few as possible.

That being said, nowadays I'm sure you can find a backdoor somewhere. Just remember to disconnect the door alarm.

Personally, I could not work in that current "STASI" like environment, especially for the reduced salary and benefits.

Go East young TEFLers.

"Endeavor to persevere".
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdurian wrote:
So you're saying you want a job where you can just go in and do your classes and leave.

Also, if they're paying you for forty hours, how can they verify what you're doing when you're not there? You might be diligent and hardworking, but I'm fairly sure you would be in the minority.

Being in the office doesn't mean people are actually working. And with that kind of silly office setup, I'd say about 50% efficiency tops, probably more like 20%. They just want to control everybody, and treat university teaching like a corporate 9-5 office job.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
bigdurian wrote:

Being in the office doesn't mean people are actually working. And with that kind of silly office setup, I'd say about 50% efficiency tops, probably more like 20%. They just want to control everybody, and treat university teaching like a corporate 9-5 office job.

But not being in the office probably means you're not working.

I'm an out the door and done kind of guy.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's you. I spent most of my evenings correcting essays and prepping lessons because it was completely impossible to get anything done in the HCT offices.

And this was back in the day when it was "only" a 33 or so hour butts on seats rule. The men's colleges were always more lax about hours - then and likely now too. Because we had to keep the women on campus, it was more strict. But we did used to sneak out the back gate to a coffee shop around the corner. In fact, if the English Supervisor couldn't find one of us, he would call over there or come over and join us for coffee. But the new college moved away from the Corniche area in Abu Dhabi.

VS
(and the other 4 college/universities that I taught at in 3 other countries only required 20-25 hours in the office or less...

Otherwise known as "The Good Old Days")
danshengou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this thumb scan in and out rule applies to phd faculty (e.g., professors) within the various departments as well.
Odin39

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

Classroom teaching at tertiary [bold mine]level is NOT a 40 hour a week in the office job.
VS

HAHAHAHA!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new report has landed in my inbox:

Quote:
It’s now February and still no signs of new contracts. As many faculty last year were given only one-year renewals, near two thirds are waiting to find out if they will be employed from next academic year. Faculty are still required to give six months notice of resignation, but management fiddles while its employees have to make important decisions about employment, housing, and the education of children. So much for the Year of Faculty.

The January roll-out of HCT V2.0 amounted to the announcement of a new faculty ranking scheme. Management believes this will incentivize faculty and lead to excellence in teaching and research. In the meantime, management is reduced to begging for positive recommendations on international quality surveys. An email circulated to all faculty in January asked them to reply with the email addresses of friends from other high-ranking colleges and universities who might be able to recommend HCT as a quality institution on Arab region QS University Rankings.

One sign of recent excellence is the new two-year Technical Studies Program (TSP), a work-ready certificate for students who enter HCT with less than an overall 70% mark on their high school work. The program has been imported from abroad with little to no adaptation. Language and concepts are beyond the level of the current cohort and activities amount to slide-shows with instructions to discuss relevant concepts with students. Faculty who volunteered to teach this are already unvolunteering.

Meanwhile, IELTS will be required only until the end of this academic year, after which HCT will move to using the new CEPA replacement, EmSAT, to admit students to its various programs. The new test includes no speaking or listening components.

This part I find a bit of deja vu:

Quote:
One sign of recent excellence is the new two-year Technical Studies Program (TSP), a work-ready certificate for students who enter HCT with less than an overall 70% mark on their high school work.

This is exactly what the CERT program was designed to be when it was created back in about 1993/94. The teachers developed the materials and it targeted the culture and the student needs. The problem was that parents and students wouldn't accept being the "slow group" and 2nd class citizens so to speak. So it didn't take it long to morph into a way to make money... mostly with military contracts.

Gulf education continues to spin its wheel... that wheel it keeps re-inventing...

VS
The_shadow72

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting times.
I have heard from a reliable source that HCT is in the process of redesigning roles and duties across the board.
Programme chairs might be disappearing altogether with duties reassigned to existing staff.
Anyone heard anything about this?
Any comments?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: