Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Rules at HCT...(and affecting ZU and UAEU)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that the foundation year programs are set to meet their end in about two years, it makes sense for HCT to invest in resources elsewhere and not put money into FY teachers' bennies and salaries. It stinks, but that's typical of businesses the world over.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumors are seeping out in my emails and PMs of a bloodbath going on. It is said that about 200 teachers have been informed that their contracts will not be renewed. Some who have been there for many years are now told that their "credentials are inadequate."

This new... and utterly ridiculous... credential certification looks like a two purpose activity. It produces significant income for the government and an excuse to get rid of teachers. AND it has been used to inform people that they are not renewed, but can re-apply. This is an obvious ploy to try to keep their experienced teachers with their pay and benefits slashed.

I hope some current teachers will appear with updates.

VS

PS: Is any of this same crap going on at Zayed University or at UAEU?
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: New Rules at HCT Reply with quote

Hi, VS, et al.,

I've heard the same about many teachers, some of whom were hoping for renewal, but received their walking papers as of July.

This equivalency certification appears to be a stratagem of pretense. Some are sweating in their boots since the process was never clarified or any assistance offered to facilitate same. You can imagine which "bucket" is full. Best wishes for more lucrative prospects to all of those devoted, talented educators with whom we had taught. HCT will suffer a huge loss - a Humpty Dumpty. . . .

PS
2buckets

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel sorry for the people who took the housing allowance and bought a flat. No more income to pay the mortgage, and if paid off, their visa status will be in jeopardy.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: HCT... Reply with quote

In a word, grim. And no, this isn't happening in Zu or uaeu. I feel worse for those who renewed their annual housing contract (now in their name). Any bets on who's liable for the months post-contract?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just one of the reasons that I always advised people to NOT DO IT!! As someone who has made significant money on real estate over the years, buying in the UAE broke every rule of common sense for the small time investor like the average teacher in any country. If they were unaware of the risks... well...

The ones that I feel sorry for are the married with children. Most of them will probably have to return to their home countries to live in poverty unless they are ready and willing to change fields.

VS
snorkel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect there will be more leaving after this. I heard most people with families were 'completely' fired, those without were given a couple of months to do the paperwork required with no real guarantee of further employment. Total mayhem on campuses. Over 300 non-renewals and more still waiting to find out.
Shakhbut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Last edited by Shakhbut on Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update in my email this morning from someone currently teaching at HCT

Quote:
The employment contracts were late coming, and people finally got them yesterday, feb 2. No one was renewed. 350 people across the system received one of two kinds of letters. Many top of the pay scale people were just told: no new contract. The rest (the majority) received a letter stating they were not renewed. This second type of non renewal letter gave a tiny glimmer of hope that they could get a contract w HCT later. It stated that they, the HCT, knew these people had applied for an "equivalency". Let me explain that bit first:

This is a new requirement being enforced at only HCT, Adveti and perhaps the MOE. This is taking your attested degrees (high school, bachelors, masters, etc) and doing all these extra stamps and such (some are even asked for passport pages to prove they were in the country of degree origin). This equivalency is unobtainable because the people working in this office http://www.mohesr.gov.ae/en/Pages/default.aspx have no idea what they're doing. We only know one person who's obtained the "equivalency". The old attested degrees aren't enough according to HCT. In January central services wanted to know where people were in the application process for this. The numbers were low (so few had competed the whole process). There was a threatening email about "serious consequence".

Fast forward to yesterday. All those people who weren't top of the pay scale w big gratuities got a different non renewal letter. The letter said your contract is up, "We know you've started this process of obtaining the equivalency, so we'll give you until April 30. If you obtain it by then, we may offer you a contract at a later date." Now, I suspect this is a way to bring in a lower laying contract.

There is also a new rumor as yet unconfirmed in writing from HCT. Everyone else whose contracts are not ending this year will get 6 months notice to complete the idiotic "equivalency" process and if they do not complete it, they will be terminated.

I personally hope that no one bothers to even try to complete the process. Let the system be without teachers within 6 months... and to hell with HCT and the moron that came from ADVETI and now plans to destroy both systems.

Obviously they will fill the place with sub-continentals and Emiratis... and soon the students will depart too.

VS
2buckets

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how HESN feels about the demise of his baby.

Does he even know about it or care?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a small country, so I'm certain that he knows... and most likely cares. But, it all worked pretty well under his control, so he may feel that he can say, "see what happened when they pushed me out... down the toilet it went..."

VS
Gulezar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Accreditation Reply with quote

Shakhbut wrote:
A miserable workforce, well done to the VC! That way you'll meet all your accreditation targets and improve productivity. Classic management tactic. The writing is on the wall for EVERYONE.

If they are on track for accreditation, they have made a lot of enemies.
Grendel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: The Price of Oil Reply with quote

After Sheikh Nayan left, various supervisors on their way out told me to expect each year to get worse. And I did, but not at this velocity. Since the price of oil has collapsed, HCT has to go with it, and this attestation process is a very handy cover for a very crude downsizing.

People not up for renewal might indeed be given a six months warning and then terminated. A fair number will just say thanks and take the gratuity rather then find themselves signing a contract not only at a lower salary, but that would entail a lower gratuity in the future.

As others have noted, lots of people are unprepared. The signs have been clear for a while, though, that everybody on HCT is on borrowed time.

The glory years of HCT are done, and likely of the Gulf as a whole. Oil isn't going to increase in price any time soon. Time to take whatever money you've made and go.
canadianUAE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the bubbles finally burst at good ole' HCT..boohoo!
No surprise there! They took over where I was recently working, and we got the boot. It was said HCT was bankrupt and this move was basically to save them. Seems they need to find even more ways to cut.
As far as accreditation. I've known lots of people from HCT who've been working without Master's Degrees. So that process would push them out. It was being kept quiet and they were protected.
In any case, it's not nice for anyone to lose their jobs. It's been done to me, and not a good feeling to work with a govt' entity for over 10 years only to be shown the door. Without any fanfare I might add. Rolling Eyes
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Government institutions do NOT go bankrupt. Considering the fact that no student ever paid tuition, it is not as if it was meant to be a profit maker. But it was a large institution that was expensive. But it is government priorities, not profit. Considering how few graduates ever hit the job market, I can see that the government had been starving them for cash the last few years... and now that the price of oil has tanked... and the government is getting into joining local wars... that means what has basically been female education will be cut.

Any chance of outside accreditation is now dead since they have basically tossed out all off the teachers who could give them any kind of educational credibility. And of course, local accreditation is pretty meaningless. It is not as though the government accreditation process wouldn't accredit a government institution.

Up until about 3-5 years ago, HCT provided hundreds of educators with a position where one was paid for doing a professional job. Yes, there was always plenty of BS... but in relative terms, one wasn't embarrassed to have it on your CV.

That is all now dead...

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: