Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

smoking in me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superhal

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: smoking in me Reply with quote

I smoke, how bad is it in the me?
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widespread - despite religious disapproval.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only China is worse for the non-smoker... fine for smokers. As relates to smoking, I found the Middle East pretty ghastly... chain smoking taxi drivers and every male on the street. Rules likely vary by employer in faculty areas.

Like America in the 50s...

VS
Superhal

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Only China is worse for the non-smoker... fine for smokers. As relates to smoking, I found the Middle East pretty ghastly... chain smoking taxi drivers and every male on the street. Rules likely vary by employer in faculty areas.

Like America in the 50s...

VS

Rock, i can smoke in taxis too? Hows resteraunts?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you still decide to take job in the region, you'll find that smoking rules and regs vary. In particular, non-smoking policies are the law during Ramadan, which impacts non-Muslims as well---you'd have to refrain from smoking in public between sunrise and sundown. Something to think about if you're a chain smoker.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Gulf States have introduced somewhat draconian (compared to that which was previously permitted) anti-smoking laws.

Oman, for example, went from a laissez-faire smoke almost anywhere (including shopping malls) policy, to an outright ban in all air-conditioned premises, including bars, restaurants and cafes. There are also restrictions on outdoor smoking within a certain distance from the entrance to such establishments, even if they have an outside seating area. This also extends to total prohibition on any educational campus - which includes colleges and universities. I believe the situation is the same in Dubai (though Abu Dhabi was a bit less restrictive the last time I passed through). Bahrain introduced a similar ban, though permitted bars to install glassed-in "smoking cabins" similar to those found in airports. I am not entirely sure how this is working in practice, as I haven't been in Bahrain since the introduction of the ban.

The Gulf is no longer quite such a smoker-friendly environment. You also need to be aware that for several months of the year, standing outside to get a nicotine fix will be a decidedly unpleasant experience, due the intense heat and humidity.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't even think of doing it in daylight during Ramadan !
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: smoking in me Reply with quote

Superhal wrote:
I smoke, how bad is it in the me?
You might want to go back and capitalize "me".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: