Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA Galapagos
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SandraR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been accepted into the program and will be taking the course beginning September 28th. I will be staying an extra four weeks after the CELTA to volunteer. The price for the 8 week package is very reasonable and there are no hidden costs.

I understand airfare can be quite expensive, depending on your location of departure. I am flying to Quito from Montreal, Canada, and the cost is actually quite affordable at that time of year. I have paid more for airfare to Mexico in the past. The flight to The Galapagos from Quito is about $450 USD.

I am looking forward to this adventure and I am going with an open mind and reasonable expectations. I will keep you all posted about how my experience was at this new CELTA center.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Sandra! Yes, do keep us poated about the program. We will be interested to hear about your experience, and how it goes for you. Smile

esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: CELTA Galapagos Reply with quote

Lotteloes wrote:
But I am interested in any reviews. Especially in combination with the volunteering.

The good news is that we will likely have a report back from SandraR and, possibly, Wanderingxelemundo in plenty of time before you make your travel plans for spring 2016.
Lotteloes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: CELTA Galapagos Reply with quote

Great news SandraR. I hope you will enjoy your stay there and the end of September is not that far away.

Airfare from Amsterdam/Schiphol to the Galapagos was about € 1200,00 Crying or Very sad Almost the price of the course and the volunteering (checked somewhere in April 2016). And then I am not talking yet of the time it will take (somewhere between 35 and 45 hours).
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sandra,

Have you started the course? I'm a bit worried that I keep seeing upcoming dates on their website but never see anything about a course being completed. I'm not sure if they keep canceling due to not enough participants, or if they've really held the course, or what.

Even if you just started the course last week, could you please give a quick update? Thanks.
SandraR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, I have started the course. I'm on my second week into the 4 week program. There are 8 of us total in the class and we are the first group to do the CELTA in Galapagos.
So far so good...
Internet is really slow on the island where we are and everything is quite expensive. 2 things to keep in mind when travelling here. The facilities are basic private rooms with private bathroom in a hostel type property with a shared kitchen. It's fine for our needs.
I am really enjoying the (intensive) learning experience of the CELTA, but I am most inspired by the people here who desperately want to learn English. Our classes are full every evening with local adults eager to learn.
Grateful to be on this magnificent island and I have no regrets whatsoever. Smile
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the update SandraR, it's good to hear it's going well.
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for that info! I'm glad that the part you like the best is the actual students and teaching! I'm not happy about slow Internet and expense but I'm not surprised.

I am studying online so I hope that won't be too unbearable if I do end up in the Galapagos.

I look forward to more updates! Enjoy!
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Sandra! Sounds as if it just took them a while to get their act together. I agree--motivated students can make all the difference. Very Happy
SandraR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone interested in the CELTA Galapagos!
Here's a little update.
I successfully passed the CELTA and I am now in Oaxaca, Mexico, where I have found a job with a local English academy starting in February. I am really happy!
Regarding the CELTA Galapagos, as I have previously mentioned, the 2 main things to consider when travelling there is the very slow internet and the cost of food and supplies. Also to take into consideration is the power that is unstable on the islands and cuts frequently for short periods. Otherwise, it was an amazing experience! It is one of the safest places I have ever travelled to. The Ecuadorians of the Galapagos are very welcoming and super friendly. Smile Our tutors were very professional and we could not have asked for better. As it is a new CELTA provider, there were a few issues to be wrinkled out especially with the volunteering part. Some documents had not been finalized with the local government prior to our arrival so it was a shaky start to our volunteering. I think that there is still some work to be done in this aspect of the program.
I went with reasonable expectations plus an open mind and have no regrets.
Now I start my new career! Smile
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray for you, Sandra! Can you tell us any more about your volunteer experience in the Galapagos?

wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sandra,

Thanks so much for the update! Were you always planning on going to Mexico from Ecuador (I can't remember and haven't looked at your early posts), or was there a lack of jobs or other issue in Ecuador that made you decide not to stay?

I'm wondering how slow is slow when it comes to the Internet? I am studying online and in order to do the CELTA I would get ahead on all my reading before the course starts, but there are some things that must be posted on the online discussion boards several times per week, and perhaps assignments will be due and need to be uploaded during that time. Also if I stay for the volunteer portion that's another 4 weeks of assignments. Will the slowness make this difficult to do, or "only" try my patience?

And did you happen to buy raw potatoes there and do you by chance remember how expensive they were? They make up the main part of my diet along with some veggies, legumes and fruit here and there. If potatoes are cheap I'm all set but if they're incredibly expensive for some reason that would be a problem. I have a list of common foods and prices sent to me from Raul Garcia but I don't eat most of them (I'm a vegan). He does say there's a weekly farmers' market.

Like Xie Lin, I'd love to hear how the volunteer program went once you got started, what you did, etc.

Thanks so much, good luck and let us know how it goes in Mexico, too!
cholula90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sandra,

I sent you a pm, please check your personal messages.
Lotteloes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: CELTA Galapagos Reply with quote

Hi Sandra,

Congratulations with passing the CELTA and finding a job in Mexcico.
As some more around here, I really would love to know more about the volunteering that came after finishing the course.
c_destru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sandra! Glad to hear your experience was positive - I had been on the fence signing up for this for awhile. I'll be finishing up in Central America studying Spanish around the time the CELTA starts, so was really considering it. My income is online though, so the part about the slow internet is important to know - thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: