Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What if UK pulls out of EU?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sigma

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot_spencer wrote:
It most certainly won't be easier for Americans, whıch I am glad about.

Why?
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma wrote:
elliot_spencer wrote:
It most certainly won't be easier for Americans, whıch I am glad about.

Why?

Limits the competition! Laughing

GF

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are certainly naive. Do you actually think Germany and France would let the UK exit without penalty? That would encourage many other countries to consider the same. No way. The UK would be punished significantly. Germany in particular wants Frankfurt to supercede The City and this would be just the excuse to enact legislation to ensure it. No, the Brits would pay dearly for such a decision.
wavelength

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Make that what if Texas pulled away from the US. Razz

Nomad Soul is exhibiting possible symptoms of prophecy.
wavelength

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enkates wrote:
Texas is the ficklest state.

The depth of insight in this thread is telescopically astronomical.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Greece ends up going, it would make any other departures more likely, imo - whether through choice or whether through financial market speculation.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My minions and I would be delighted if this were to come to pass, but the likelihood is much slimmer than the BBC and other media sources would have the world believe.

Still say not gonna happen...
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Illiminati will not let London leave.
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this here. Perhaps the conversations are happening on the forums for individual countries.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to which countries would be the most eager to hold on to their British EFL teachers in the event of Brexit? Are there any which would see Brexit as a good excuse to cut back on the overabundance of foreign teachers and to improve the quality of their own teaching staff?

I was thinking of doing a teaching course on the Continent but perhaps I ought to make my booking after the referendum....
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your prior experience is from Asia?

I doubt the TEFL job market in any European country is going to be greatly impacted by a Brexit if it happens.

Firstly, the majority of the English teaching going on is already done by qualified locals in regular state schools. It's rare for non-locals to work in these jobs.

Most of the work for native English speakers is with adults, usually businesspeople, in their offices, with some kiddies being submitted for after-school and test prep courses. I expect these learners will continue to prefer native speakers; they aren't usually learning basics.

Also, it's unlikely that Brits won't be able to get work permits - even if they are newly required (also unlikely, I think).
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78

I've taught in Europe, actually, although I've been out of the loop for quite a while and plan to get back in again, either in Europe or in Asia. Asia appeals more, to be honest, although Europe would be much easier on a cultural level.

I understand there's a degree of concern among British people on the Continent that Brexit would land them in a period of uncertainty. That concern is shared by many Continental Europeans in Britain at the moment.

For people who are already settled provision might be made, especially if their presence is seen as beneficial. Future movement, however, could be a different story. Many people feel that the huge rate of EU immigration into Britain needs to be curtailed. If this happens, European governments might feel compelled to respond in kind with regard to new British entrants. If Briitsh TEFLers on the Continent aren't held in high esteem now this attitude might increase in the event of Brexit....

Oh well. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do agree. Many of my British colleagues are looking into citizenship and other avenues. And it's also true that UK EFL-ers aren't held in any special position of 'high esteem' which would shield them from a backlash if the travel of European nationals into the UK is limited.

However, I'm betting on the status quo remaining, or something closely resembling it. As you say, we will see!
inshala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britain won't leave the EU. It's too well engrained. Imagine having to show your british passport again at immigration control when you get off the boat in Calais. It just won't happen.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fairly sure about a month ago that people would vote for the status quo and keep the UK in the EU. Now, I am not so sure. Polling has tightened a lot and a few polls are now showing a lead for the Leave campaign. On the two key issues of controlling immigration and having sovereignty (and accountable representatives) the argument for leaving starts to gain a lot of traction.

It wouldn't surprise me if the voting was on a knife edge, and Brexit happened!
dekkard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many voters are still undecided; and will undecided people mostly opt for the status quo?

And have the polling companies improved their methods since the last UK General Election, when they got it rather wrong?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: