Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What if UK pulls out of EU?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike from MI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers. I guess we'll see what the future holds. I offer my sympathies to British expats who may be negatively affected by the changes. One door closes and another opens, I hope.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And the UK would never be as mad as to pull out from the EU. Political huffing and puffing, sure. But really leave the union? Extremely doubtful.

Ooh Sasha - look what they have gone and done!

Well Mike, I reckon that when the dust settles in a couple of years or so (though some people are saying at least seven years to disentangle) you'll get your opportunity. Unless, of course, everybody in Britain wakes up and realises what a monumental disaster it will be (for Britain).

Personally I don't see why Americans / Australians etc should be excluded from teaching in Europe. I also think that Britain is becoming increasingly isolated and irrelevant (all of its own making, I should add) and that there's no reason at all why Europeans need to be taught British English by British people.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but this year's round of Cambridge examining was characterised (for me at least) by the more able students speaking American-accented English. These were all the students who watch US TV shows and pick up the pronunciation and vocabulary.
JRJohn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: I Have Some Sympathy With Your Plight Reply with quote

I am a British citizen. When I first went to Europe to teach English, I had total freedom to work anywhere in the EU. I chose Spain. I have also taught successfully in Poland. At that time, Americans would come to Madrid, looking for teaching work. Some found it, but had to leave the country every 3 months. They were there illegally, but were NOT prosecuted. Since 2009, to combat illegal imigration the EU and Schengen adopted a different rule. You now have to leave after 3 months, and not return for another 3 months, or maybe 6 months. That renders it impossible to just go to a private academia and look for work. This applies in most of the EU.
In other countries the same applies. Whether they will apply such stringent rules to people from the U.K. I don't know. What is certain is that now the EU institutions want to make an example of us, and not be generous to us. Whether Americans will find it easier to work or teach English in Europe is another matter. What I do know is that Spain, to get more classroom assistants in public schools, has initiated programs which allow young Americans to come on a student visa, and supplement their salary with freelance teaching. This is important-the salary is LOW-€800 to €1000 per month. Some people have complained about late payment of salary. You need to be under 30 to apply.
I don't know if there will be any further changes. What I do know is that citizens of Ireland will be in big demand for jobs that require native speakers of English. Begorrah. And some of them kissed the Blarney Stone.
GF

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Americans have it much easier in Eastern Europe. I've been working legally in Estonia for 12 years and have never had to leave the country for any 'rest breaks.'
jonniboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
Personally I don't see why Americans / Australians etc should be excluded from teaching in Europe. I also think that Britain is becoming increasingly isolated and irrelevant (all of its own making, I should add) and that there's no reason at all why Europeans need to be taught British English by British people.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but this year's round of Cambridge examining was characterised (for me at least) by the more able students speaking American-accented English. These were all the students who watch US TV shows and pick up the pronunciation and vocabulary.

I'm from Northern Ireland, so technically British but holding a now-much-more-valuable Irish passport as well. I've found both. In Panama being British is a definite advantage. To my surprise, I found there's definitely a niche market for British English. I had several students say things along the lines of "wow, it's great to learn *real* English from the home of English" and I've also had several students in Europe tell me American English is easier to understand (they're more used to the accents from Holywood and US series.)

What GF says is definitely true for Latvia. American colleagues in Riga have had no significant hassles getting work permits.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

English at risk of losing its status
By Claudia Civinini, EL Gazette | July 2016
Source: http://www.elgazette.com/

While Brexit gives rise to a never-ending series of neologisms in every European language, it seems that English could be at risk of losing its official status in the EU.

English is one of the 24 official languages of the EU. But with the UK out of the game, English would be only spoken in Ireland and Malta – and the fact that Irish and Maltese are also among the official languages has given some people a reason to start a fight against the English linguistic empire.

The French press are already feasting on the idea of getting rid of the language of les rosbifs, with a French mayor reportedly claiming that English has ‘lost its legitimacy in Brussels’. Meanwhile in Italy, a party in the region of Trentino is proposing to scrap English Clil programmes.

What will the lingua franca be now? An Italian magazine wittily advised that, to avoid further divisions, Europeans should all speak Latin, ‘the only true European language’.

The Irish Independent reported the European Commission has rejected claims English would be dropped as an official language in the EU following the referendum vote.

(End of article)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: