Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What if UK pulls out of EU?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike from MI

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: What if UK pulls out of EU? Reply with quote

I hear newly re-elected British Prime Minister David Cameron has promised a referendum on whether the UK should remain in the EU. If the UK pulls out, would the UK still be part of the Schengen group for purposes of employment? If not, would UK and US citizens then face the same legal requirements to work in, say, Poland or France?

I'm an American, and I'm wondering if it might become a little easier for me to get an ESL job in Europe if the UK leaves the EU. (I guess the Irish might be the big winners in this scenario.)
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK has never been part of the Schengen visa zone. Neither has Ireland. They have a separate Common Travel Area, which pre-dates the EEC.

And the Schengen Zone is not the same as EU employment law, or restrictions, really.

And the UK would never be as mad as to pull out from the EU. Political huffing and puffing, sure. But really leave the union? Extremely doubtful.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, there are places in the Schengen visa zone which are not actually in the EU. Norway, Switzerland.
Mike from MI

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up. Sometimes I have a hard time keeping track of who's in the EU, who's in Schengen, and who's in NATO, and was unaware that British and Irish citizens were able to freely work in EU countries because of pre-EU agreements that were still in force. I would have thought that the earlier agreements had been subsumed into the later ones.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm an American, and I'm wondering if it might become a little easier for me to get an ESL job in Europe if the UK leaves the EU.

Unfortunately, no. Even if it happened, which as Sasha points out, is highly unlikely.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, no. Sorry. I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

Britain and Ireland, and crown dependencies or whatever, have a common travel area with each other, since 1923 or so. This was enacted as a result of Ireland leaving the UK, but neither state wanting to impose passport controls between each other.

Because the common travel area is much more important to the Irish emigrants travelling to the UK, Ireland has opted out of Schengen until the UK joins. The UK doesn't want to join the zone as it has issues with non-EU people travelling freely in the EU. Also, it doesn't want to introduce ID cards and the like, which other EU countries have. Or police registration for that matter.

But you are right that it is a bewildering matter when seen for the first time: all these overlapping zones. The eurozone, Schengen zone, EU states, and all the rest.

But this diagram helps:

http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/505-united-diagrams-of-europe
scot47

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a referendum and there are disparities in results between Scotland and England, ...........

As it is, 56 out of 59 MPs from Scotland are SNP. That party is committed to EU membership !
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In many ways, EU membership has served Britain well - particularly its supersize banking sector which has helped make London into a global city. Britain's economy is among the strongest in Europe now and its GDP grew by 2.6 per cent last year, one of the best performances in the developed world.

In 2014, financial and insurance services brought in 193.7 billion US dollars in gross value added, GVA, to the UK economy, totalling 8 per cent of the UK's GVA. It's little surprise then that fear of a British exit from the EU, which could seriously upset the international banking industry, has persuaded some UK financial institutions to send up warnings. In a recent poll by Grant Thornton, 72 per cent of British companies say an exit would hurt business. HSBC has warned that it would consider relocating its headquarters from London should the UK leave the EU.

'Brexit' would cost the UK about 330 billion dollars, or 14 per cent of its GDP. After leaving, Britain would need to renegotiate trade relationships with individual EU members and its government would lose much of its international clout.
The EU would also lose from a British exit, which would cost it 12.5 per cent of its population, 14.8 per cent of its economy and an experienced and engaged military power with the EU's strongest ties to Washington. It's worth noting that Britain contributed more than 19 billion dollars to the EU budget in 2013 while taking out just 7.1 billion. If Britain exits, Germany and others will have to make up the difference.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big winners would be the Irish teachers who would have a clear playing field.
Enkates

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Quote:
What if UK pulls out of EU?
What if the U.S. pulled out of America? Shocked
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enkates wrote:
What if the U.S. pulled out of America?

Make that what if Texas pulled away from the US. Razz
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
The big winners would be the Irish teachers who would have a clear playing field.

That's me sorted Very Happy
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the UK leaves the EU there will be some sort of agreement where UK people can work in the EU still. It most certainly won't be easier for Americans, whıch I am glad about.
Enkates

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Enkates wrote:
What if the U.S. pulled out of America?

Make that what if Texas pulled away from the US. Razz
You may have a valid point there. Texas is the ficklest state. Ever hear of Six Flags over Texas? It's been part of Spain, France, Mexico, an independent republic, the Confederacy and for now, The United States. What the Sam Houston is that all about?

Last edited by Enkates on Wed May 20, 2015 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot_spencer wrote:
Even if the UK leaves the EU there will be some sort of agreement where UK people can work in the EU still. It most certainly won't be easier for Americans,

That's what I think too. There are already non-EU states which enjoy many of the freedom of movement and work benefits that full member states do.

Nothing would change. Either for the Southern Irish or the North Americans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: