Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taiwan vs. China?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexmac84

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Taiwan vs. China? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I got a job offer in Shanghai. However, I'm a bit nervous about being somewhere with such bad pollution that also doesn't offer easy access to nature. It seems like the cost of living is cheaper in Taipei and that (although there's pollution) there more be recreational things for me to do there on my days off - visiting beaches, forests, etc.

However, I've heard that the recruiters who recruit from the states work for schools no one wants to work with and that it's better to go to Taiwan and then find a job. Money wise, this isn't a great option for me. So, are there any schools that'd help me get a visa you'd suggest working with? Or am I better off sticking to Shanghai?
hdeth

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money-wise China is better and more sustainable.

Pollution-wise not so nice. Taipei is very clean compared to a major Chinese city. It does have a bit of that tropical rotting feces smell going on but not that bad.

Check out rental prices. I'm too out-of-touch with rentals in Taiwan. Local food should be cheaper in Shanghai but foreign food might be a little more expensive. Sushi and maybe good quality seafood should be cheaper in Taiwan. You can get a cheap scooter in Taiwan for transportation but pretty sure they're banned in Shanghai.

Taiwan is a beautiful country, imho one of the most beautiful countries on earth, but the TEFL scene there seems to be on the decline, whereas China is growing in all sorts of different ways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: