Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acceptable salary package?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djstorm1987

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Acceptable salary package? Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I have just been offered a position with ELS in Salalah. The package is for 800 omani rial with paid airfare, health insurance and a furnished 2 bedroom apartment (worth 200 rials). I am currently married with no children. Wife has been offered a part time position but unsure about her salary as that will be discussed prior to arrival. Since she will not be a full time employer due to her Pakistani citzenship she will only be offered paid airfare from U.S to Salalah. Would this be an acceptable salary? For someone that`s coming from having some teaching experience in South America this seems a bit decent but just wanted to know what the average is in Oman.

Thanks in advance
omanoman

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if the actual value is about 1000 ( 800 + 200) then it's not terrible, but not that good. But, it is a language center only and we don't know anything about your experience or qualifications.

The good news is that language centers teach primarily adult students so the teaching atmosphere is much much better than the grind and often frustration of the college ranks.

So, not a bad way to get into Oman, beautiful country and people.
balqis

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw job adverts with this salary, 800 OR, so it is becoming a reality. It is low, noneteheless. With a B.A. you would get 900 with agencies recruiting for MoHE/MoM in Oman. Plus, you would have 55/MoM or 60/MoHE days of paid vacation yearly. And you would work 18 hrs a week or so, and have decent breaks in between semesters.
But one must be lucky to get in. Unlucky, you may have no other choice but take this 800 for the time being.
Yet, as I said, I saw an ad with 800 OR a month, so perhaps a new shabby trend is slowly starting in Oman?
I remember from my U of Nizwa experience, that there were teachers on 800 a month, while the rest were earning 1000 OR a month. They were from India and Pakistan, as they uni was unable to recruit westernerr due to their rotten reputation, and they were cheated upon arrival to Nizwa - the contract offered in their home-land was cancelled once they arrived.
This U of Nizwa was a scandal, truly a criminal place. Some of the Pakistani and Indian teachers just left in disgrace, which was a very noble act.

To the point, though. With 800 OR and cautious frugal expenditure, you can still save some 600 OR, or even more, if you know the ways to do it.
And you will be rewarded with sensuous beauties of Salalah.

balqis
djstorm1987

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys I will be sure to read the fine print once I get the contract. They have now sent my documents to the Ministry of Manpower for final approval which is for the work visa. The good thing out of all this is that they have offered to hand a part time job for my wife which I will be sure to negotiate prior to arriving. I have asked them about this briefly but have been told that they will look in to that once we both arrive in the country. In the end I would rather negotiate it prior to having her arrive in the country.
djstorm1987

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omanoman wrote:
well, if the actual value is about 1000 ( 800 + 200) then it's not terrible, but not that good. But, it is a language center only and we don't know anything about your experience or qualifications.

The good news is that language centers teach primarily adult students so the teaching atmosphere is much much better than the grind and often frustration of the college ranks.

So, not a bad way to get into Oman, beautiful country and people.

My experience is roughly 2 years of teaching English in Peru and 6 months of teaching volunteer in Pakistan. I have also taught for 6 summers (2.5 months each) at summer camp in a private school. My qualifications is a TEFL/Bachelors of Science in I.T. As you`ve stated since it is a language school they have two classes per day with 2.5 hours each as well as some office hours. Sometimes they have 3 but anything that is above that is paid overtime.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely negotiate what they will pay your wife. I assume that you have provided them with her CV. It should be an hourly amount... with no other benefits as she is coming over on your visa.

The pay is pretty much the norm for language schools. Perhaps someone could tell us what these places are paying hourly these days for part timers. It is a foot in the door, and you should still be able to save money.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a two year contract check whether you will be able to keep the apartment during the summer months or if you will have to vacate and take all your stuff to wherever you go. It's common in Salalah for landlords to turf teachers out in the summer as they want to rent to tourists who go there at that time. The pay is very low but seems to be indicative of a trend in Oman to reduce salaries for teachers.
djstorm1987

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Definitely negotiate what they will pay your wife. I assume that you have provided them with her CV. It should be an hourly amount... with no other benefits as she is coming over on your visa.

The pay is pretty much the norm for language schools. Perhaps someone could tell us what these places are paying hourly these days for part timers. It is a foot in the door, and you should still be able to save money.

VS

What got me confused is how they said they would be paying for her ticket. Is this normal for someone working part time or is it because she will be coming with me?
djstorm1987

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
If it's a two year contract check whether you will be able to keep the apartment during the summer months or if you will have to vacate and take all your stuff to wherever you go. It's common in Salalah for landlords to turf teachers out in the summer as they want to rent to tourists who go there at that time. The pay is very low but seems to be indicative of a trend in Oman to reduce salaries for teachers.

Thanks for the heads up I`ll deff be asking him that. They originally wanted to hand me 700 OMR but I managed to negotiate it to 800 OMR maybe I should`ve asked for more but I guess that it`s too late now.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djstorm1987 wrote:
What got me confused is how they said they would be paying for her ticket. Is this normal for someone working part time or is it because she will be coming with me?

Standard foreign hire contracts, unless they specifically say "single status", brings over your dependents, spouse and x number of children. If you have a multiple year contract, summer leave tickets for all should also be provided. She should also be included on your medical coverage.

Their hiring her for hourly teaching is completely separate from the above. (and BTW, the majority of teachers if you total all levels, are still probably from the sub-continent. Omanization has cut their numbers, but they are still the most affordable teachers, and normally well trained professionals.

VS
omanoman

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying your wife in as well is probably just a gesture of good faith rather than an actual family visa set up, meaning that they will be able to add her to your visa after it's done, a family visa for her, but that doesn't come with labor law rights.

Standard wages for part-time is 8-10, occasionally 12 for a more difficult program or a well experienced teacher who negotiates. In Muscat, 10 rials per hour is pretty standard, Salalah will be less on average.

And it sounds like you just squeak in for the Manpower approval for the visa, the minimum requirements being 2 year validated teaching experience and the degree and TEFL / CELTA. The volunteer work won't count. Still, not too bad to get one's foot in the door and as Balqis said, Salalah is quite a charming and beautiful place.
balqis

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you are in Oman, you may make your own interview arrangements with various agencies in the country, and move upwards with money, better contracts, etc...
So you may view this contract as an entry pass into Oman, or the Middle East in general.

Teaching private classes in the deep provinces of Oman verges on impossible, as the people there do not have the money to pay any decent rates, and - more importantly - a mental habit to do so doesn't exist mostly.

balqis
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bare in mind that the above simply does not apply here anymore-with the reinstatement of the 2 year rule it is simply impossible to move from one job to another in Oman......
balqis

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but you may complete your contract and then get a NOC from your Master, and then move on legally.
From the NOC point of view, it is better to opt for a short, one-year contract only.
And perhaps, before you sign the contract, make sure that your Master will issue a NOC to your name once the contract is over.
If I am wrong again, then Tazz do correct me.

All in all - tough clench and dire straits, which leaves you ''bare in mind'' indeed.

balqis

ps I mean I was able to move from one job to another, coz my Master was kind to issue a NOC to my name, which made me eligible for new employment.
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just goes to show-some masters are better than others! Wouldn't work for MOM or MOHE employers though......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: