Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

www.exlang.ru - any further experiences?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deats

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they will pay you 59,200 ($1185) a month for 136 hours. A laughable 435roubles an hour. Wow, nice. This doesn't even factor in travel time and cost of metro and marshrutkas.

16000rub ($320) a month for a flat in Moscow. Hehehe. Good luck with that.

Run for the hills. If you are lucky a bear might take away the misery of this offer Very Happy
GotoRussia

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't touch that job offer at all. Current US dollar rates are closer to 50 rubles to $1. So you might not even get $1000! Honestly working at a real McDonalds might be better.

Needing to be available from 8am to 9pm, crazy. And they won't pay for any visa fees or costs. that's gonna run you at least $400-500 depending on if you get a rush visa, need to FedEx it ....

Sure you could do far better.
GotoRussia

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you're in Saudi now, why the heck would you want to go to Russia?
You probably are making 4 or 5 times more easy.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotoRussia wrote:
You say you're in Saudi now, why the heck would you want to go to Russia?
You probably are making 4 or 5 times more easy.

Saudi is a pile of ****, money or not. Let's not get into that here. Plus I <3 Russia.

Needless to say, I've quizzed Mr Ron Nathan about this contract, and will update with answers whenever they may occur. Should be an interesting update for anyone who may look into Russia for work.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
So much in that agreement runs counter to Russian labour law. Most schools do this to some degree, of course, but why waste time with this company. the terms are quite dire. A 30-plus hour per week will leave you feeling pasted after a short spell, especially with the running around the metro to off-sites that that will entail. At least with bigger chain schools there is some chance that travelling can be reduced to a few different classrooms in their schools.

And the pre-crisis dollar rate is a nice touch!

To be fair to him, he said to me that because I live within just a few stops of their office at Paveletskaya, most teaching could be arranged to be around there.

Needless to say, I'm still going down all avenues elsewhere...
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You will get a minimum of $ x 32 Rubles as your starting salary

So, if he states $1850 + $500 accommodation, that's $2350 = 75200RUB

75200/136 = 550RUB/hr

Haaaaaaa. I guess all one can say is - GOOD LUCK.

Hopefully this helps anyone else looking into employment in Moscow Smile
Deats

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From personal experience with lying employers, what he says and what he does will undoubtedly be 2 very different things. He will 'try' to get work within 3 metro stops, but ultimately if a client if 10 metro stops away, you will have to teach them. After all, there's nothing in the contract about distances you must travel.

Furthermore, you must be available for 13 hours a day, cos he will have you running all over the city to suit the clients needs.

This sounds like the job from hell.
GotoRussia

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Gamajorba if money is not a big factor and you know the conditions they are stating and you don't mind running around all day at their beck and call I say go for it!!!

You managed to stick it out in Saudi for a year while hating it. Sure you got the bollocks to last just as long in Russia. Report back after you've worked in Moscow for a while and let us know how many ways the employer messed you over.
GotoRussia

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said you had friends in high places in Russia. I'm surprised you haven't tapped into their network to score a cushy job as a private tutor, or found your way into a good international school.

most of the big chain names are bottom feeders, who in their right mind would travel halfway here to earn less than a Walmart job back home.

think about it. you pay all visa and travel expenses. they have you on call for 13 hours a day with weekends. they aren't even giving you 1/3 allowance for rent. and their hourly rate is about 1/2- 1/4 what you could make on your own.

You might be better off coming to Russia as a tourist and panhandling like a babushka!
Brunouno

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamajorba wrote:
So, here's a draft contract from them, for future reference:

Quote:
May 11, 2015

Dear

The purpose of this letter is to set forth the basic terms and conditions of your employment with Dialog/Executive Language Center. (“Dialog” or the “Company) It is important that you understand clearly what your benefits are and also what is expected of you by the Company.

Salary: Your salary is $1,850. per month, payable monthly and no later than the 18th day of the month following the applicable monthly work period. You will be paid in Russian Rubles at an exchange rate of 32 Rubles to the dollar. .

Duties: Your duties generally will be as a teacher of English as a Foreign Language. You will be required to use your specialized teaching expertise, independent judgment and discretion to perform in this area with a high degree of skill, executing the Company's objectives in this area as defined by Company management. Your assigned teaching clients may change from time to time based on the needs of the Company and as determined solely by the Company. You will be required to follow the Company’s policies and procedures, although these policies may be amended, supplemented or revoked from time to time on reasonable notice.

Accommodation: You will be provided a housing stipend of $500 a month, also paid in Rubles at the above stated rate, in lieu of providing accommodation. Dialog will not be responsible for payment of any deposits, commissions, utilities or other fees related to your choice of accommodation.

Work Visa: Dialog will, at its expense, process a Russian work visa application (Letter of Invitation) on your behalf. All travel and miscellaneous expenses related to obtaining the visa thereto (e.g., sending you the Letter of Invitation via DHL, your travel to third countries, if necessary) shall be your responsibility. All Russian Consular fees will also be your responsibility.

Hours of Work: As a salaried teacher, there are no set hours for your position. However, you generally are expected to be available from 8:30 A.M. to 9:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. At times, the needs of the business may require that you work on weekends.

You will be expected to teach a maximum of 136 academic hours per month. (An academic hour is 45 minutes)

Additional Compensation: For any academic hours worked in excess of 136 in any given month, you will be compensated at the rate of 925 Rubles per academic hour.

Teaching Non- Dialog Clients: You will be permitted to engage in work for non- Dialog clients, for your own behalf, with the express understanding that Dialog has “first call” on your teaching time and that any non- Dialog teaching activities will not interfere with your duties as stated above.

Employee Benefits: You will be eligible for paid time off, (e.g., Russian holidays) and other employee benefits which are generally applicable to the Company’s employees. These benefits may change from time to time, but you will receive those benefits applicable to all Dialog salaried teaching employees unless we agree otherwise. You will be entitled to two weeks paid vacation during the term of this Agreement: one week shall be taken over the 2016 January holiday period and the other week at a time mutually agreed upon.

Trade Secrets and Confidential Information: During the term of this Agreement, you will have access to "Confidential Information", which includes, but is not limited to, (i) financial and other sensitive information that the Company receives from its customers, (ii) confidential business, trade secret and financial information provided you by the Company; (iii) personnel information (including without limitation employee compensation); and (iv) other confidential business information.

Nondisclosure of Confidential Information: You understand that information concerning the Company’s business and the business of its customers is a valuable, special and unique asset and must be held in the strictest confidence. You agree that you will not disclose information concerning the Company’s business or the business of its customers, except as required by the Company or by Russian law.

Non solicitation: During your employment and for a period of two years immediately following your employment, you shall not, directly or indirectly, engage or participate in the solicitation or attempt to solicit work from any business that is a client of the Company.

Employment Term: The Tern of your employment August 1, 2015 through July 8, 2016.

Termination: Your employment will be "at-will". In other words, either you or the Company can terminate it at any time for any reason, with or without cause, by giving four weeks' notice to the other party. However, the Company is not required to give you notice of termination if you are terminated for cause. This term of employment is not subject to change or modification of any kind except if in writing and signed by you and the Company and nothing herein shall be construed as a modification of your at-will employment relationship with the Firm

Governing Law: This agreement shall be construed under the laws of the Russian Federation

If the above conforms to your understanding of our Agreement, please sign scan and return one copy which we will then also sign and return to you.
Yours truly,

Ekaterina Ezdina
Managing Director

AGREED AND ACCEPTED

Of course the exchange rate is wrong, and he has pointed that out and stressed it, but...yeah...anyway, maybe it's useful for other people.

Although it makes NO mention whatsoever about travelling to different cities for work, which he mentioned to me via Skype..hmm...red flags...

If you did take this job, I would change the contract where it states the maximum weekly hours, and that unused hours cannot be rolled over to following weeks. Language Stink does this, so I would have to imagine that it's common practice. You'll basically be at their mercy if the agreement simply states you're required to work 136 hours a month. I haven't been following this thread in detail. Is this for in-company work? If it is, that is a hell of a lot of hours. You would be a very busy boy/girl even if all these hours were worked at one centre.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotoRussia wrote:
You said you had friends in high places in Russia. I'm surprised you haven't tapped into their network to score a cushy job as a private tutor, or found your way into a good international school.

I never once said in high places...

Anyway, this is something I won't be pursuing as a first job. Believe it or not, I'm not as stupid as some of you may think I am. I've made it clear I've been round the job opportunities in Moscow and I am still keeping an open mind, not jumping at the first chance.

I figured posting information like this will help others in the future.
GotoRussia

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I must have read your post too fast, didn't you say you had friends in Moscow who could help you with work?

It's good you're posting job offers, we appreciated the feedback.

Most people looking at Russia know of the lowball deals that most schools give.

Hopefully you can find something much better.
Deats

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamajorba wrote:
Thankfully, I've got enough contacts in Moscow to hopefully get around the visa issue.

That's saying you have friends in high places! You have made similar statements elsewhere.

Be careful, I thought drugs and alcohol were banned in Saudi Very Happy Enjoy your weekend!
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotoRussia wrote:
sorry I must have read your post too fast, didn't you say you had friends in Moscow who could help you with work?

It's good you're posting job offers, we appreciated the feedback.

Most people looking at Russia know of the lowball deals that most schools give.

Hopefully you can find something much better.

Yes I do, and that's still an ongoing process. Like I've said several times, I'm keeping my options open.

Quote:
That's saying you have friends in high places! You have made similar statements elsewhere.

Be careful, I thought drugs and alcohol were banned in Saudi Very Happy Enjoy your weekend!

It wasn't meant to sound like that so, I apologise.

Alcohol and drugs ARE banned, but that doesn't stop people here using them, Saudis especially Wink
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have very good local connections, I'd still guess one of the larger chains is the best way to get your foot in the door. Smaller schools are just too risky to choose from abroad. Could be fine, could be abysmal. At least with places like IH BKC or EF you know what you're letting yourself in for. And they're big enough to fond some sort of comfy niche for the interim that you'd be there. Also the best way to make extensive contacts.

Last edited by Sashadroogie on Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: