Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Business Dropping off? Bournemouth and Elsewhere..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is the traditional language school dying out?
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't give a crap
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

Mr. Bourenmouth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Business Dropping off? Bournemouth and Elsewhere.. Reply with quote

Everyone is complaining about not enough students here in sunny Bournemouth this season; down 40% in some schools. Directors are freaking out. An industry in decline? The schools that ARE doing well, have totally cashed in on the Arab market, and have tonnes of Arabs in their schools, whimpering about the lack of anything other than other Arabs. I am guessing it's much the same in other parts of the country?

It seems that the British Council stipulation that everyone have a Bachelor's degree is also taking its toll. Schools are staffed by drifters in their forties and fifties and non-native speakers masquerading as British people. (The schools' dirty little secret that they don't want agents to find out).

It's all becoming a bit of a sorry mess. Quite funny really. Time to head out overseas or look for a new skill.

Confused
Dedicated

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bournemouth is suffering from the perception that it is a town for retired, well-off pensioners and therefore too sedate 'boring' for young students. I have had numerous students who said they hated the place. It is very difficult to persuade them otherwise.

However, the EFL/EAP business seems to be booming in Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, York, Durham according to contacts. Visa requirements have also become more stringent, wiping out much of the elementary/beginner levels. Tier 4 visa holders must be IELTS Band 5.5. Here in London we are swamped with Chinese and Russians.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bournemouth, a girl I did CELTA with went to Bournemouth afterwards and has said pretty much what you said - it's dying out and overrun with Arabs. However, also in Birmingham where I'm based, schools/colleges are not doing so well. Most institutions (mostly colleges/community centres) around the Birmingham area have actually stopped doing ESOL courses because of student numbers. One school even said it closed for Ramadan because almost all of its students are Arabs!

However, the 2 main languages schools here are doing OK, but not as well as they have done before:

School A, a council operated one, I believe isn't so keen to take sponsored students (which essentially disqualifies most Arab nationalities!), but remains popular with Europeans due to significantly cheaper prices (and free classes taught by CELTA trainees)

School B, a privately operatedone, does take sponsored students, but is subsequently overrun with Kuwaitis and Saudis, which is a common complaint amongst students.

Again, as far as location goes, many of my students (and their friends) say they don't like Birmingham, despite the fact they can go EVERYWHERE so easily and cheaply (if they damn well made plans) and still not spend a fortune like they would in Oxford or London.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing a temporary summer job at a Bournemouth language school and the vast majority of our learners are Europeans (French and Spanish, mostly). As far as I know, our capacity is completely full in July and August. No idea about the situation generally, but you always see large groups of teens at language schools walking around the town - again, usually Europeans.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psychedelicacy wrote:
I'm doing a temporary summer job at a Bournemouth language school and the vast majority of our learners are Europeans (French and Spanish, mostly). As far as I know, our capacity is completely full in July and August. No idea about the situation generally, but you always see large groups of teens at language schools walking around the town - again, usually Europeans.

Makes a change from Gulf nationalities Very Happy
Mr. Bourenmouth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psychedelicacy wrote:

I'm not saying it's dropped off completely, but I do know that the biggest and most famous of the independent language schools in Bournemouth is way down, and there is a rumour that it is laying off admin staff. Their famous summer runs to the airport are at a fraction this year of what they were last. Other schools are complaining of a drop of up to 50%. Some are saying it's just a bad year (Greek crisis, strong pound, general tension in Europe), others that this language school industry (not the wider secondary and higher education industries, which are booming) is in decline, perhaps because English language education is being delivered in schools to a much better standard across the world.

Certainly, the blood letting and price / commission wars have been going on for a long time, and prospective students are getting wise to this, opting for cheaper schools. I can't see things ever returning to the days when prestigious and expensive schools were packed with wealthy students.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished a summer school job and not one ARAB or ANY MIDDLE EASTERN about! Chinese, Italian, Russians, Spaniards, a few Turkish, Portuguese and a few Japanese students. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: