Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work visas/work permits scrapped?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where you are dead wrong. The 'teacher' label always included some special dispensations. For example, a very visible difference is that these visas do not come with the little plastic ID card that other workers are issued with. Unless you want to argue the toss about that too Very Happy
alex1970

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
That's where you are dead wrong. The 'teacher' label always included some special dispensations. For example, a very visible difference is that these visas do not come with the little plastic ID card that other workers are issued with. Unless you want to argue the toss about that too Very Happy

What are these special dispensations you speak of? I'm all ears...Wink
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hang on.... How about NO LANGUAGE TEST?
alex1970

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Well, hang on.... How about NO LANGUAGE TEST?

I know that already...
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you? You argued this point previously. I wasn't sure if you had revised your ideologically flawed position or not.

A few years ago, teachers were exempted from having to also have work permits. The exact ins and outs of this have always eluded me, but it mattered greatly for schools and visa sponsors. More behind-the-scenes applications and fees. As far as I know this has been done away with, and all is more uniform now. But counts as an example of the differences involved.

Now, let's move on to police checks! They are way more interesting!
alex1970

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Do you? You argued this point previously. I wasn't sure if you had revised your ideologically flawed position or not.

A few years ago, teachers were exempted from having to also have work permits. The exact ins and outs of this have always eluded me, but it mattered greatly for schools and visa sponsors. More behind-the-scenes applications and fees. As far as I know this has been done away with, and all is more uniform now. But counts as an example of the differences involved.

Now, let's move on to police checks! They are way more interesting!

I bet it did matter for schools...I remember when they said 'yeah here is a work visa' but really it was a business visa

Ideologically flawed..heavy stuff

Police checks plus HIV test as routine....
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a police check. Only sometimes need an HIV cert.

The point is Alex, it is not the best strategy to make pronouncements too absolutely about the various visa regimes in place here. Nobody really knows how it works - even the government officials responsible for it all Very Happy

'Teacher visas'. They might not exist technically, but they are very, very real.
alex1970

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Never had a police check. Only sometimes need an HIV cert.

The point is Alex, it is not the best strategy to make pronouncements too absolutely about the various visa regimes in place here. Nobody really knows how it works - even the government officials responsible for it all Very Happy

'Teacher visas'. They might not exist technically, but they are very, very real.

I agree, nobody knows how it works. FMS rules are as clear as treacle. Smile
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this leaves all sorts of 'wiggle room' possibilities! Very Happy
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be right in assuming that "The Organs" determine what is required and the foreigner has no say in the matter ?

The Cheka still makes the rules although the names may change !
Foma87

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are absolutely right about the 'wiggle room' in Russia. Executive agencies are delegated broader powers as far as making and filling in the law where necessary in Russia (this is true for many countries with a 'continental' system of law). It seems that, in the case of FMS, this has created a rather perplexing situation for teachers from the point of view of the law. Hence the apocalypse scenarios every time amendments are enacted on the status of foreigners in Russia. I think 13.4 of the law I cited earlier, however, would be a good place to start as far as understanding the visa regime for teachers and avoiding panic every time the duma passes an anti-immigration law aimed at common workers.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that according to this forum and others, we should all have been deported years ago by the FMS. Strangely enough, they seem to have more important things to be getting on with... Phew!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Would be right in assuming that "The Organs" determine what is required and the foreigner has no say in the matter ?

The Cheka still makes the rules although the names may change !

Isn't that the way of it the world over? Even in UKania. Try returning home with your johnny-foreigner spouse and see how much choice you have in the matter : )
alex1970

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/jun/08/why-migrants-fleeing-moscow-permits-economy

Food for thought...
alex1970

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foma87 wrote:
Yes, you are absolutely right about the 'wiggle room' in Russia. Executive agencies are delegated broader powers as far as making and filling in the law where necessary in Russia (this is true for many countries with a 'continental' system of law). It seems that, in the case of FMS, this has created a rather perplexing situation for teachers from the point of view of the law. Hence the apocalypse scenarios every time amendments are enacted on the status of foreigners in Russia. I think 13.4 of the law I cited earlier, however, would be a good place to start as far as understanding the visa regime for teachers and avoiding panic every time the duma passes an anti-immigration law aimed at common workers.

That infamous Article 13.4 is unreadable without a Russian lawyer....Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: