Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which college to choose ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwtefl

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Which college to choose ? Reply with quote

Hi

I've received an email asking me to choose my preference to work at :

Nizwa College

Ibri College

Al Musanna College

Ibra College

Shinas College

Salalah College

Sorry, but I've no idea how to choose between them. Their websites don't exactly help me either, so if anyone in Oman can help then thanks Smile
omanoman

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was choosing, it would be based on location, since the individual colleges can be more or less the same. Although, having said that, there are probably many differences between individual college admins, their efficiency, attitude, the colleagues, staff room politics etc. impossible to parse from this forum.

But, city wise?

Nizwa
Mussanah
Shinas
Salalah
Ibra
Ibri
nwtefl

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Ok Reply with quote

I looked at the geographical location too, but placed Ibri and Ibra ahead of Shalalah and Shinas - Shalalah looks pretty isolated.
omanoman

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salalah is a world unto itself, takes a flight to get anywhere but unique and beautiful on its own. It would be the first or second choice for many.

Shinas is on the edge of Sohar, the second biggest city and close to the UAE.

Nizwa is a beautiful town, close to muscat, mountains, wadis, probably the best region for natural beauty

Mussanah, closer to Muscat but flat, boring,

Ibra / ibri far away, very small town feel, not much going on, although Ibra is at least close to the Wahiba sands and wadi bani Khalid
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you also seem interested in saving money on your other post I would recommend Ibri or Ibra as there is nothing to do or spend money on.
madrileno

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to enjoy your time in Oman:

1) Al Musanna - closest to Muscat, roughly 45 mins away.

2) Nizwa and Salalah (tied) - both have their own attractions and charms. Salalah is Oman's second largest city and has nicer weather than the rest of the country. Nizwa has a nice souq and Jabal Akhdar close by. Salalah has an international airport and is just over an hour flight from Muscat. Nizwa is roughly a 90 minute drive to the capital.

3) Shinas - close to Sohar, Oman's third largest city, and the UAE border. However, lliving in Shinas doesn't qualify you for an Oman/UAE border pass, and all those stamps will fill up your passport quickly.

4) Ibra - A tiny town with not a lot to do unless you like star gazing or chasing goats. It outranks Ibri as it's closer to Muscat, just over an hour-and-fifteen-minutes' drive.

5) Ibri - As close you can get to the middle of nowhere. An oasis town surrounded by miles of desert in every direction. If seclusion and quiet is your thing, you'd love it there.

If saving money is your priority, just put the list in reverse.
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oasis is an old hotel in the town......does serve beer though. only place between Nizwa and Buraimi that does. Ibri ain't pretty! And it ain't fun-but if you want to save cash.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: