Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Community College of Qatar
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwtefl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Community College of Qatar Reply with quote

I've got a telephone interview with the above and wondered if anyone has any recent teaching experience there. I understand that no institution is perfect e.g. my current college in the UK is being run down, private companies like Kaplan who are onsite at universities are pretty tough organisations to work for, and a school I worked at in Portugal had a strange regime etc, so I'm familiar with the state that education is in nowadays. So would CCQ be any worse ?

(BTW, before anyone starts, I was going to post this on the other Community College forum but it is locked !
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a community college forum? Or do you mean thread? There are lots of CCQ threads, but no problem starting a new one with this years latest info.

An update on the place would be good to have.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: CCQ's job ad states the following:

Quote:
Please note that online/distance learning degrees are not accepted.
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the current situation at CCQ? Or what the pay scale is?
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the job where you are working from 4pm to 10pm?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliasrachel wrote:
Does anyone know the current situation at CCQ? Or what the pay scale is?

They currently don't seem to be advertising for the upcoming 2018-19 academic year. (Their annual recruitment usually starts in March.) Regardless, as with many direct-hire opportunities, you'd have to apply to find out what your qualifications are worth. Salaries and benefits may have been impacted by the country's ongoing political conflict with several member states of the GCC and Egypt.
Londonlover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Community College of Qatar Reply with quote

nwtefl wrote:
I understand that no institution is perfect e.g. my current college in the UK is being run down, private companies like Kaplan who are onsite at universities are pretty tough organisations to work for, and a school I worked at in Portugal had a strange regime etc, so I'm familiar with the state that education is in nowadays. So would CCQ be any worse ?

Is it not an extremely naive idea to try to equate any U.K. university teaching -even outfits like Kaplan- to most teaching environments in the Gulf?
Have you read the threads for the CCQ? Surely that should easily answer your question.
Answer: Yes.
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied to CCQ a few months ago and had a Skype interview recently. I had not yet heard back, though it's still within the response time frame.

I've been to Doha and liked it, especially being near the water.
Hemlock32

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an offer from community College of Qatar. I really don't know about it. Has anyone worked there? Does anyone have any information regarding it?

My offer was QR 15,000.
Transportation allowance of QR 1,500 per month.
Housing included (don't know where).
End of service benefit (1 month of salary).
Etc.

First, I am assuming that my salary will be tax-free.
I am very up in the air regarding the housing. I've just read that some people were in shanty towns, while others were living in resorts. Yikes.

Any ideas?
Yorks Lad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a similar situation as I'm waiting for details of a job offer from another HE institution in Qatar. I have worked in Doha before but not for CCQ.

I think 15,000 is an OK salary for an MA and some experience but you probably shouldn't accept any less. I'm going to ask my employer about where the accommodation is and I think you'd be wise to do the same (though if you're willing to drive there, it's maybe less of an issue). At the moment there's virtually no public transport but taxis are plentiful in some areas. That said, if you're even half an hour drive, often in manic traffic, from any half decent shops, cafes etc and you have to drive everytime you want to do anything, it can get very old very quickly. If you're paying for taxis every time, it can add up.

The salary is tax free in Qatar but you may have to pay tax if you're classed as resident in your own country. For the UK, you have to be out of the country for one full tax year April-April, though you are allowed about 90 days for holidays at home). If you're away for less, HMRC taxes you as if you'd earned it at home.
Hemlock32

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorks,

What's Doha like?
Yorks Lad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemlock,

It's a cliche - but largely true - that Doha is dull but liveable. Lots of glitzy malls, international bars, fancy hotels and good restaurants - and generally good services such as healthcare - but not a great deal of Arabic culture or sights to see. The corniche and souq are charming, as are some of the parks but there's not much else and outside Doha very little. (The desert is mostly scrubland rather than the archetypical rolling dunes with oases and palm trees). Overall, it's a pleasant enough place to earn good money and of course it's a good base for travel with Sri Lanka, India, Jordan and many other places being relatively close.

The issue at the moment is the blocakade of course. I left just before it started but friends who are there say it hasn't impacted on daily life at all (other than you can no longer go to Dubai for the weekend).

Ask if you have any other questions,

YL.
Hemlock32

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorks,

I was looking at some statistics somewhere and it mentioned that in Qatar, over 50 percent of the population are foreign nationals. Does that mean, with English, we can get around pretty comfortably over there?

Could you describe how a foreign national, especially a non-Muslim national, would get on well with the locals?

I imagine there are five prayers per day and things close down. And Ramadan? If everyone else is fasting how can we still get food?

When it comes to housing, do you know what is typical over there? Do they give you an apartment or are you put on a compound?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemlock32 wrote:
With English, we can get around pretty comfortably over there?

Could you describe how a foreign national, especially a non-Muslim national, would get on well with the locals?

I imagine there are five prayers per day and things close down. And Ramadan? If everyone else is fasting how can we still get food?

When it comes to housing, do you know what is typical over there? Do they give you an apartment or are you put on a compound?

Given that many expats live/work in Qatar, English is widely spoken as a common second language after Arabic. That's typical of the Gulf in general.

Ramadan is 10 months away. An Internet search with Qatar Ramadan etiquette yields lots of links to sites on the subject. (BTW, there are Christian churches in Doha.) There's plenty of invaluable info on the Net about expat life in Qatar. Be proactive -- Google life in Qatar for answers to your questions and more.

CCQ has multiple campuses; one just recently opened. Ask your CCQ HR contact where you'd be located and about faculty housing. Just be aware you likely won't have a choice as to where they put you.
Yorks Lad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hemlock,

You actually tend not to come across all that many Qataris except in the classroom. Your waiter, taxi driver, shop assistant, bank clerk etc is likely to be from overseas. Everyone uses English and it's actually quite hard to learn or practise any Arabic you might have.

During Ramadan you can't eat, drink or smoke in public during day light hours but sometimes workplaces will allow a room for non-Muslims to indulge. Restaurants etc are closed but open in the early evening adn workong hours are generally shorter then anyway - some colleges actually clsoe for Ramadan.

Interm of accommodation, you should ask your employer as it does vary. Typically a batchelor will get a one bedroom furnished place but the key is the location. Usually the employer assigns you a flat but a few places are giving allowances and letting you choose.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: