Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the truth about working in Warsaw?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Delph Reply with quote

Delph what you don't know from your online checks is that there are massive sales here on weekends and especially at the end of the month when people get paid.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=ChuckMC]But what I am saying is the consensus in Poland. [/quote]

No, it really isn't. It might be the consensus among learners at a third rate language school in Bielsko (I'm familiar with the city, and everyone knows that Speed is a bad, bad place to work) - but if you actually taught in one of the more reputable schools there, you'd hear and see a whole different attitude.

Quote:
By the way, I work in a small town but I live in Bielsko Biala, which is not some Ciemnógrod. I talk to young people here and in other cities. Yes they have energy and ambition, but many them are seriously thinking about going abroad to be able to achieve that high standard of living that Westerners enjoy. I spoke to a scientist in Bielsko and she said that her friends in Ireland enjoyed and MUCH higher standard of living. She was jealous of them. This is the reality, you can try to push it aside; that's fine with me, but this is the ugly side of Poland.

Normal for Poles. They're very pessimistic people by nature - what they won't mention is the compulsory 40 (or is it 60?) Euro fee to visit a doctor in Ireland, they won't mention how shockingly high prices are (75 Euro for a PS4 game? really?) and they certainly won't mention the LUAS A line after 6pm.

The fact that you haven't been in Poland very long shows a lot - because you're taking Poles at face value when they complain. They'll tell you that they're poor because they only earn 3000zl net - but yet they have a huge car and a nice house. Those of us that have been here a while know not to take the average Pole seriously when they complain.

Quote:
Like I said before, many Expats come to the big cities to live a dream life of partying and goofing around. They never see the ugly side of Poland. Delph, if you are happy living in Poland than that is fine with me. But I am just trying to advise newcomers on the realities of Poland. What I am saying is what they will be told by other polish people. I have met so many Poles in Warsaw, Wroclaw, Krakow, Katowice, Bielsko, and in small villages. I have experienced Poland from every level of society.

All that in 8 months, while working as a Callan teacher in Bielsko? Shake's right, your story just doesn't add up Smile

Quote:
I once had a lesson at a gymnasium school in a small village. I asked the students if they planned on staying in Poland. 1/3 of the class said they wanted to work abroad. WOW, 1/3!! This is the harsh truth. The young and ambitious are always thinking of whether to stay or leave Poland. The choice they have is earning 4,000 PLN or 4,000 euros. Unfortunately, many do choose to leave. There are statistics that show that 20% of the workforce will disappear over the next 20 years.

Again, you're missing something with the culture. It's not so much about money as Poles somewhat embracing the European project. Poles want to travel and get out there - it's nothing to do with Poland being terrible and a lot to do with their wanderlust. Ask yourself why - if Poland is so terrible - why do many women return to Poland to give birth and to stay?

Quote:
Another thing I want to tell the OP, is about the future of his children. Does he and his wife really want to raise their kids in such a poor EU country with high unemployment and fewer opportunities than Western countries? Their kids will face the same problem that Polish youth face. They will ask themselves if they should leave Poland for higher salaries and standard of living. Being born in a rich country is a blessing. You don't have to have a great paying job to have a good material life. Life in Poland is tough in the long run.

Folks, remember this sound advice is coming to you from an unqualified Callan teacher without a family. He doesn't know anything about the rapid expansion of the middle classes in Poland, nor does he know anything about the startup culture here.

Tell you what though - if you want to meet successful people in Bielsko, let me know and I'll arrange it Wink Just promise me that you'll report back on here with awe when you realise that it's perfectly possible for people to have large houses and large cars on Polish salaries.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember this sound advice is coming to you from an unqualified Callan teacher (qoute from delph)

Who makes numerous grammatical and spelling mistakes in his posts. It's no wonder that he thinks that Poles look down on English teachers.

He's right about one thing, though. You can make more money in the US than you can in Poland, but not by teaching. I certainly did, but I didn't come to Poland to make the same money, although, like many of us who have been here for a lot longer than chuck, I'm making a lot more than he is or ever will, especially with his disparaging attitude toward this country.

I had a job offer from the ME for about four times what I'm earning now, plus some great benefits. I chose not to take it because I love living and working here. Most of my truly close friends are Polish. They all complain. It's too hot, it'd too cold, I hate my job, I don't make enough money etc. ad nauseum. You know what I mean. I just laugh and so do they, saying it's the Polish custom.

Now it's my turn. I've had enough of wet behind the ears unqualified Callan teachers telling me/us how terrible Poland is. It's time to close this thread.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What made me laugh is today. I've been out in 31-32C heat all day, sitting around, drinking beer in hipster alley while sitting on deckchairs with a good friend and thoroughly enjoying myself.

If this is a "bad life", then I'm happy with it.

Meanwhile, it's 14C and raining in my home country. Guess which I prefer?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: that's another Reply with quote

That's another great reason for leaving Poland. Hipsters.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: that's another Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
That's another great reason for leaving Poland. Hipsters.

Bwhahaha, agreed Very Happy

The proliferation of them in Poznań really makes me want to deport them all to Berlin ASAP.
chuckMC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Delph, you mentioned that you could arrange a meeting with successful foreigners in Bielsko. I would like to meet them. I love meeting new people.Smile

By the way, where's the OP??? :/
sparks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the OP just up and left as he only asked for some info about working in Warsaw but mostly got a bunch of crap from people who don't even live there Smile
Infinite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:

More to the point, if you actually speak Polish, you can see what's available out there. Your perceptions are entirely based upon a very limited world view with no real concept of what happens beyond your small town, let alone the whole country.

Poland is full of opportunity, but it won't come to those teaching Callan in Ciemnogród.

This is actually the key here. You're pretty much the equivalent of an unskilled Mexican worker back in the US. Except that you have one talent - you speak English!!! Yey! If you don't go through the trouble of learning Polish, then your choices will for ever remain very limited. Just as if you were an unskilled Mexican worker in the US.
So, learn Polish, explore your possibilities, maybe even send yourself to school [it's exceptionally cheap yet very hight qual.] and make the best of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: