Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting Employment Procedures then Working Elsewhere?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nichtta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Starting Employment Procedures then Working Elsewhere? Reply with quote

I was given an "offer" by a public university in Istanbul. However, the "offer" is not very clear, and no contract has been presented. The salary and terms are also not so clear, either. I was asked to fill out what appears to be an employment application along with providing Turkish translations of my credentials (at my own expense, mind you). Obviously, I have many concerns in this regard, but I was thinking maybe if I'm even presented with a contract a week or two before the prospective start date that I can use this "offer" as a Plan B or something.

Here are my questions:

1. If I start this process, am I then not allowed to work anywhere else legally for this upcoming academic year? The following was posted here on the Turkey forums by billy orr on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:09 pm:

Quote:
There has been another case on daves where someone could not be appointed at a university because another university had completed employment procedures for her, but she had never taken up that post.

2. Am I able to reject this "offer?" Just like I wrote above, there has been no contract presented. It seems they want to first see if the rector will offer me a position, which is why they're asking me to leave the salary portion of the documents as well as the start and finish date blank.

3. Can't they just renew, extend, or make changes to my current work visa without all of this paperwork? I have valid work permit from my current place of employment as an English teacher, but it expires in about 2.5 months. They're telling me that they'll present me with a contract basically a week or two before it expires, but I thought it had to be renewed with at least two months left on it. I don't want to be in a bad situation where they don't end up offering me anything then I lose the opportunity of working here legally. At the same time, it seems like as a public university they should be able to find a way to hire foreigners legally. After all, they are a part of the same government that makes the rules.
guitarboy53

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Employment Procedures then Working Elsewhere? Reply with quote

nichtta wrote:
I was given an "offer" by a public university in Istanbul. However, the "offer" is not very clear, and no contract has been presented. The salary and terms are also not so clear, either. I was asked to fill out what appears to be an employment application along with providing Turkish translations of my credentials (at my own expense, mind you). Obviously, I have many concerns in this regard, but I was thinking maybe if I'm even presented with a contract a week or two before the prospective start date that I can use this "offer" as a Plan B or something.

Here are my questions:

1. If I start this process, am I then not allowed to work anywhere else legally for this upcoming academic year? The following was posted here on the Turkey forums by billy orr on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:09 pm:

I've never heard of this. If you receive a work permit at this university and you decide to quit and start working at a new school in the same year, you shouldn't have a problem. I can not 100% confirm this, though, but I have known people to change jobs and get a new work permit. The old permit must be canceled in writing before the new permit can be issued.

2. Am I able to reject this "offer?" Just like I wrote above, there has been no contract presented. It seems they want to first see if the rector will offer me a position, which is why they're asking me to leave the salary portion of the documents as well as the start and finish date blank.

This seems shady and weird. I'd consider looking into another school. At this end of the day, this is Turkey and everything is negotiable depending on how badly the school needs you. Check out Facebook and search Istanbul Greenlist and Istanbul Blacklist for more resources.

3. Can't they just renew, extend, or make changes to my current work visa without all of this paperwork? I have valid work permit from my current place of employment as an English teacher, but it expires in about 2.5 months. They're telling me that they'll present me with a contract basically a week or two before it expires, but I thought it had to be renewed with at least two months left on it. I don't want to be in a bad situation where they don't end up offering me anything then I lose the opportunity of working here legally. At the same time, it seems like as a public university they should be able to find a way to hire foreigners legally. After all, they are a part of the same government that makes the rules.

Unlike the US (when you get a green card you can work anywhere as the green card follows you and not the job), the Turkish work permit is tied directly to the job listed on the card. If you stop working at one school and start at another, the process needs to start over and everything needs to be resubmitted. A pain in the rear, but this is Turkey.

Good luck!!
nichtta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Employment Procedures then Working Elsewhere? Reply with quote

guitarboy53 wrote:
Unlike the US (when you get a green card you can work anywhere as the green card follows you and not the job), the Turkish work permit is tied directly to the job listed on the card. If you stop working at one school and start at another, the process needs to start over and everything needs to be resubmitted. A pain in the rear, but this is Turkey.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the helpful reply!!

Ahhh, I see... Okay, now things make a lot more sense, and I get why they can't just extend my work permit. Yea, you're right that it's more trouble for us foreigners, but it seems there's no way around it if we wanna keep living in TürkLand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: