Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IMSS Maternity Benefit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: IMSS Maternity Benefit Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how IMSS maternity benefits work? Not an issue at the moment, but who knows, right Smile Anyone have personal experience? What childcare options are available for when the mother goes back to work?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not certain if it is universal, but in our case, the mother got 42 days leave before the birth and 42 days afterwards. We managed to get an extra 2 weeks on the front end during the swine flu closures plus an extra week due to a stubborn baby that didn't want to come out!

We received 100% pay coverage during the maternity leave, though that broke down to something like 65% being covered by IMSS and the rest by the school.

We were lucky enough to have me being able to play stay at home dad for the first 2 years of both of our children's lives, but from ages 2-4 we sent both to an IMSS daycare nearby, which was fully covered on costs. I believe that IMSS daycare is available to children as young as 4 months for working mothers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this may vary, but were you happy with the IMSS daycare situation?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were, yes, but we also knew that the particular IMSS facilities in our neighborhood were quite good. There are quite a number that aren't....it varies as you say.

A back up option was to look for private care that is connected to IMSS - some kind of hybrid scheme. I never looked into the costs on that, but I imagine there would have been something to pay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Guy says, it all varies. When I was pregnant, I had maternity care at an IMSS clinic and it was fine. The clinic was very nice, at the time I lived in Colonia Anzures so my clinic was in Polanco, and everyone told me it was a very underutilized clinic. But I have had care at other IMSS facilities, both in DF and now in Zacatecas, and I think the only thing that varies is wait time and how nice the clinic is, I didn´t notice any difference in quality of care. I don´t have any experience firsthand with the IMSS daycare facilities.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah that reminds me...we didn't choose IMSS for the actual birth of our children. The mother had private coverage through work so we chose a top notch private hospital, with about 80% of the costs covered by insurance.

I think an IMSS hospital would have been fine for the delivery, but we were aiming for a water birth both times and IMSS doesn't do it.
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Ah that reminds me...we didn't choose IMSS for the actual birth of our children. The mother had private coverage through work so we chose a top notch private hospital, with about 80% of the costs covered by insurance.

I think an IMSS hospital would have been fine for the delivery, but we were aiming for a water birth both times and IMSS doesn't do it.

We would be aiming for home or birth clinic, as well. We have 3 kids and the last 2 were born naturally (1 home/1 birth clinic) with no issues (with a midwife, of course). We shall see.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdbarnett1 wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

We would be aiming for home or birth clinic, as well. We have 3 kids and the last 2 were born naturally (1 home/1 birth clinic) with no issues (with a midwife, of course). We shall see.

Before I add in my experiences you need to be in a big city for a birth center and while thousands of children are born at home in Mexico, expect to be berated and given additional hoops to jump through when it comes time to register the birth. So much so that one of my colleague's opted for a hospital birth for her third child. The first time she went to an unofficial birthing center three hour away (a windy mountain trip in labor) the second she opted for unattended home birth and the third an IMSS hospital birth because she was not up for another fight.
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
bdbarnett1 wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

Before I add in my experiences you need to be in a big city for a birth center and while thousands of children are born at home in Mexico, expect to be berated and given additional hoops to jump through when it comes time to register the birth. So much so that one of my colleague's opted for a hospital birth for her third child. The first time she went to an unofficial birthing center three hour away (a windy mountain trip in labor) the second she opted for unattended home birth and the third an IMSS hospital birth because she was not up for another fight.

That sounds frustrating.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much so that living in Baja would temp me to drive to San Diego to give birth!

The thing is if it weren't hard, then every nine months I could show up with a new born at the civil register and claim it was my baby and get a Mexican Birth certificate stating a US citizen mother.
Of course the embassy requires more proof of parentage, register civil is based on a medical certificate, and without that you are left with your word. Mexico has a long history of people trying to game the system and the counter gaming tactics almost always just screw the middle class.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest thing with IMSS coverage is maternity leave pay. As Guy mentioned, its 42 days before due date and 42 days after birth. I got 100% base pay, paid by IMSS in two checks. In order to qualify, you must have IMSS coverage for a time I can't rember before becoming pregnant and you must attend 80% of your scheduled prenatal visits. Unless you are high risk you see your assigned GP for those visits. My GP asked me if I was seeing a private ob-gyn and who it was (small city) so the IMSS appointments went like this. Nurse weighed me, took my blood pressure, and fundal height. GP called me in opened his chart and said, "what did Dr. Ortega say?" He made notes in his chart about what I told him and said see you next month.
I was pregnant with twins, so he did eventually send me to the IMSS ob-gyn. I saw her resident several times ( every two weeks from seven months on) She was highly curios about my pregnancy, her first twin pregnancy. But she neglected to tell me her residency was almost over and at what turnedout to be my last aappointment with them, she was gone and a brand-new resident was in her place!
I had been paying out of pocket for the private doctor and the cost of a birth with him was affordable, (15 thousand 2003 pesos) so I went with that, especially since IMSS pays your full maternity leave no matter what. The wouldn't let me start it early so I was waddling around campus until 34 weeks and went into labor exactly one week later. So I got a check for 42 days of salary, but was only off five days before.
The second time around I was immediately deemed high risk, even though there was only one baby. But at 38, I was "advanced maternal age" I had also had a previous c-section performed after hours of labor so classified as "emergency c-section" which called for a vertical incision, that an the difficulty obtaining my blood type here meant I was not a good candidate for a VBAC so repeat c-section.
So I saw the IMSS OB from six months on this time. Everything else was totally normal and it was a remarkably easy and uneventful pregnancy. I opted not to pay out of pocket this time since my IMSS hospital does several routine c-sections a day, I figured they could handle it.

Daycare starts from 42 days, but I took additional leave from my school so my kids started at 11 months and 7 months and attended until their. Fourth birthdas when coverage stops. The twins were there before the ABC tragedy, and my son after. The facility is run my a contactor, but over seen by IMSS and in my town just a block from the IMSS hospital. I'm satisfied that the building is as safe as it could possibly be and the staff had constant training and drills for a variety of disaster events. It was not my dream daycare facility, but you can't beat the price. ( the deductions you will pay anyway)
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the last reply, thanks for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: