Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Belgium, Germany, Ireland, Poland, Austria or Croatia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunnydawn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Belgium, Germany, Ireland, Poland, Austria or Croatia? Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm looking for some advise on which of these countries would be better to work in. I am currently working as an English teacher in Taiwan and will have three years experience by the time I wish to leave. I would like to move back to Europe for a year or two (I'm British) and was wondering if any of you have experience in any of these countries.

The thing I have to take into account is that I will be bringing my Taiwanese boyfriend along with me. He can get a 1 year working holiday visa for these countries, so living there won't be a problem, but finances might if he actually can't find work. We were thinking that he could teach Mandarin Chinese, work as an industrial engineer (his current sector) or in graphic design/illustration (something which he would like to get into more)
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of looking mainly at your TEFL job possibilities, your focus and research should first be on the actual job market in the fields in which your partner is qualified for. Since language is also likely to be an issue for him for some of those countries you mentioned, perhaps he should check out Taiwanese and Chinese companies based in your target countries. He might also consider the possibility of virtual employment with a company in Taiwan, which would allow him to live outside his homeland yet still work. He'd have to see if that would satisfy visa regs in whatever country you both end up in.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
teach Mandarin Chinese, work as an industrial engineer (his current sector) or in graphic design/illustration (something which he would like to get into more)

nomadsoul's correct. He won't be at all likely to find work as an engineer or in graphic design unless he can communicate in the local language.

As far as EFL:

Do you have a CELTA or equivalent cert? Most entry-level jobs on this market require one - online course certs won't usually cut it here. Also, your three years in Taiwan won't put you much ahead of newbies as the motivation and expectations of European students are very different to those of Asian students. A newbie with one year of experience teaching in Europe will likely be preferred. I don't mean that European employers won't hire you, but they are likely to be less-than-highly-impressed with your Asian experience.

Belgium, Austria, and Croatia have very small EFL job markets for outsiders (lots of highly qualified locals). Austria has the strongest economy on this short list, but you'd likely be looking at cobbling together several jobs to equal one full time gig in the best case. Belgium is limited to Brussels (lots of competition, relatively low pay) or something like CERAN at Spa (google for info). Croatia's unlikely to offer enough work at high enough pay to support you, though you might get lucky or work your way into something while living on your savings.

Germany: Possibly your best idea as it's big enough and strong enough economically to employ you full time, and has lots of international companies that might be options for the boyfriend.

Ireland: Serious competition from the locals.

Poland: Possible but less likely to work for the boyfriend than Germany.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: