Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online teaching frustrations RANT...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deats

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's absurd is there are 6 people in the class. Each kid is probably paying $10 a lesson and probably quite a bit more. That's MINIMUM $60 a lesson for the school and they pay you... peanuts.

Regardless of what country you live in, it's shocking pay.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Yes, I understand about this (haven't lived in the US for over 20 years myself). But I still think it sounds exploitative if it's an international or multi national organization paying this amount.

Oh, it totally is, and I realize that. Nevertheless, it allows me to live somewhere there are NO jobs, but that has a very low cost of living, something I could not do otherwise. So the trade off is worth it to me. YMMV
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deats wrote:
What's absurd is there are 6 people in the class. Each kid is probably paying $10 a lesson and probably quite a bit more. That's MINIMUM $60 a lesson for the school and they pay you... peanuts.

Regardless of what country you live in, it's shocking pay.

Well, one of the schools I work for doesn´t charge per lesson, but rather a flat rate per month for use of live classes as well as other resources, so no one is paying $10 a class. In fact, if they take 5 classes a week, they are paying about $3 a class.
slaqdog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: dont dish the big mac Reply with quote

'You can make more at McDonalds' and comments along the same lines:
No YOU cannot! The vast majority of TEFL teachers would not last even one days training at a fast food restaurant. Stop dishing the hard working people who delivering your morning coffees, burgers and nuggets!
Show some respect and self awareness.
oxi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: dont dish the big mac Reply with quote

slaqdog wrote:
'You can make more at McDonalds' and comments along the same lines:
No YOU cannot! The vast majority of TEFL teachers would not last even one days training at a fast food restaurant. Stop dishing the hard working people who delivering your morning coffees, burgers and nuggets!
Show some respect and self awareness.

That's not true. I lasted 3 whole weeks in McDonalds. You know nothing about the toughness of TEFL teachers.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Paid my fast-food dues as a teenager. Been there, have the t-shirt, and can make comparisons if I want. Anyway, I never said McDonalds' etc. is EASY - I only said it pays more than 8 USD/hour.

And I think the word you want is 'dissing' though 'dishing' is rather nice in the context Wink
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With so many more businesses entering the online teaching market, have wages and conditions improved over the past couple of years?
creeper1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In online teaching I’d say the Philippines is a sleeping giant. If the northern Asians want cheap English tutoring then Filipinos will be able to provide it.

Not all of them have good English but a lot of them do. I’d guess this alone will keep online wages down.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this the other day: WWW.VIPKIDUNION.COM. So perhaps, all the recruiters were being dishonest.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working online for 7 years now, and have never made $8 an hour, not even when I first started. I currently earn $15US an hour, which is a very nice wage in the rural area in Mexico I live in. I have a lot of flexibility in my schedule and can trade hours pretty easily if something comes up.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many EFL gigs require between 30-36 hours of teaching per week. At $8/hour, that means the teacher would be making between $960 - $1152. I guess many EFL teachers make about that much. (I realize some make much more.)
As others have said, if you live in a low-cost country, $8/hour is not a terrible wage.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Chinese online schools will pay you $20-25 an hour. Tax free.

I was thinking in the future of living in (insert cheap country that is thought beautiful) and filling my time with 30 hours a week of their classes. That would equal $3000 a month.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
Most Chinese online schools will pay you $20-25 an hour. Tax free.

I was thinking in the future of living in (insert cheap country that is thought beautiful) and filling my time with 30 hours a week of their classes. That would equal $3000 a month.

The problem then becomes a visa issue ... long stays in any one country as a digital nomad have their own set of problems... eg: in many of those cheap to live in Asian countries you cannot do banking without a work or residence visa so it is more than simply a simple matter of doing a border hop or quick visa run for a new TR visa.

creeper1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d like to see someone making 3000 US dollars a month online. Somehow I don’t see it happening. And even if they did then I’d say it would not last. I think pay and conditions will deteriorate.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creeper1 wrote:
I’d like to see someone making 3000 US dollars a month online. Somehow I don’t see it happening. And even if they did then I’d say it would not last. I think pay and conditions will deteriorate.

USD 3000 / month would be on the high end but not impossible. If memory serves LarssonCrew has consistently reported earning approx USD 2400-2500 / month from his online work. And that's in addition to his 'main' teaching job. So I'd assume that someone in his position could earn USD 3000 if they focused just on online work on a full-time basis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: