Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Small town teaching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
galadin4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Small town teaching Reply with quote

Hey everybody. I'm moving to Thailand next month to teach English armed with a CELTA certificate and a university diploma. I want to teach in an out-of-the-way place up north, or somewhere in Isaan. How should I go about looking for small-town teaching jobs? Get a motorbike and head out into the country-side? Go through an agency? search online? Help!
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Small town teaching Reply with quote

galadin4 wrote:
Hey everybody. I'm moving to Thailand next month to teach English armed with a CELTA certificate and a university diploma. I want to teach in an out-of-the-way place up north, or somewhere in Isaan. How should I go about looking for small-town teaching jobs? Get a motorbike and head out into the country-side? Go through an agency? search online? Help!

A white, native speaking foreigner with a bachelor degree and a CELTA = just hand your resume out to a few schools and you will get a job after they get over the shock of seeing your shirt and tie walk through the door.

If by saying "diploma" you mean something other than a Bachelor Degree then go through an agency since legal work won't be an option.

Be sure to bring your original degree, university issued transcripts, and (currently required) police check with you or you won't be able to get your non-b or work permit.

galadin4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I do mean a Bachelors, so that should be fine.

Any small town/non-touristy city recommendations? Again, I'm particularly interested in Isaan.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

galadin4 wrote:
Thanks! I do mean a Bachelors, so that should be fine.

Any small town/non-touristy city recommendations? Again, I'm particularly interested in Isaan.

Sept isn't a great month since schools will be closed for the month of October. Your job will likely start in Nov.

Just google "ajarn" + "jobs" and work through the list of job postings.
Facebook is another place to look. look for groups focused on teaching in thailand.

There is no shortage of jobs for people who are NES with a degree.
Pick a town, pick a province, pick the school closest to the bus station. The problem is not finding a job. There are more jobs than applicants.

the problems will be the low pay ~30k baht or less out in rural Issan and being isolated from anyone you can communicate with.

bigdurian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korat might be a good bet. Thailand's second city, it's only 3 hours from BKK on the bus. Big enough that you can lose yourself, but not too big. It has everything in the way of shops etc but it's still very rural outside. It is also very much a working Thai's kind of place and not touristy at all.

Khon Kaen is a university town so probably good teaching options there.

Udon Thani has a lot of foreigners living there so that might be an option, close to Laos too.

Ubon Ratchatani is nice.

Or try anyone of the countless largish towns in Isaan.

The people are genuine although the landscape can be a bit uninspiring.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isaan is fine for teaching lots of work to be had if you want to work out in the sticks and Thai countryside...but be forewarned...there are a lot of DAMSELS in "financial"" distress upcountry....the girls will offer you marriage proposals....if you decide to "THAI" the not you will lose...in more ways than one!!!!! Shocked Shocked
bigdurian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knot, surely!!
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

Do keep us informed on how things have worked out for you in Isaan...me thinks you must have received a lot of offers upcountry! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: