Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Degree from non-English speaking country?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Batalanto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Degree from non-English speaking country? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

It is possible that this question has been asked before, but I have searched through these forums quite a few times and still have not found an answer.

Like other people who started to teach English, I initially worked in a different line of work (book selling), one that did not require many formal qualifications. I made a change a few years ago, and love teaching. My only real problem now is a lack of a BA.

I have resolved to get one at some stage in the next few years, but before I commit the time and money, I have one simple, but very important, question:

Is a degree from a non-English speaking country accepted to get a work visa in (most) Asian countries? More specifically, a degree from Spain or Germany?

I read that Korea requires a degree from an Anglophone country, but what about Japan and Taiwan? Thailand? China?

The reason that I am considering getting a degree in a non-English speaking country is because I am already in Europe, I can speak several European languages almost fluently, and education is cheap here. The only other options for me would be the UK's Open University (not cheap for me because I'm not a UK citizen), The University of London International Programme (not too expensive but self-taught, have to pay them just to take exams), and UNISA (which has a lot of interesting-looking courses, but I've heard bad things about it, and not sure if it's respected/accepted throughout the world).

Any advice you could give me would be a great help!

Thanks.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Degree from non-English speaking country? Reply with quote

Alan Batalanto wrote:
Is a degree from a non-English speaking country accepted to get a work visa in (most) Asian countries? More specifically, a degree from Spain or Germany?

You never mentioned what you plan to major in. That could determine whether it's accepted or not.

By the way, what is your nationality?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have noted, Korea requires your undergrad (as well as your passport) to be from one of the 7 major anglophone countries AND from a legitimate university (ie: not in the lists of diploma mills).

The other countries on your list do NOT require your BA from a major anglophone country but some require that it be education or "English" related (Indonesia, Thailand for long term work).

For short term options (a year or 4 before you have to change countries), any bachelors degree from a European country would work.

If you plan to make teaching a career option (rather than a gap year exercise) then a B.Ed, BA.Ed, BS.Ed would probably be your best option (it will open a lot more doors than a simple BA). It will also pay better in the long term as well (trained, licensed teachers earn about 2-5 times more than those with an unrelated BA).

If you go down the B.Ed route then the best options for teachable subjects (highest demand and best pay) are STEM and of course English/EFL is always an option.

Alan Batalanto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, thanks for the answers.

Preferably,I would like to major in something language-related, but I would also consider something else in the humanities. A B.Ed is also a good idea.

Nationality = Rep. of Ireland, so I have a passport from an English-speaking country.

I have 3 years of teaching experience, and excellent references.

It will be a year or two before I have the money to start this, so in the meantime I want to research it more and get some ideas before I take the plunge. Thanks for the advice!

Incidentally, has anyone here earned a BA whilst teaching? If so, what was it like? It seems like a difficult thing to do, but many people are in a similar position to me, I'm sure that someone on this forum has done it before.

Thanks again for the advice.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Batalanto wrote:
Has anyone here earned a BA whilst teaching? If so, what was it like? It seems like a difficult thing to do, but many people are in a similar position to me, I'm sure that someone on this forum has done it before.

The majority of newbies to these forums already have at least a BA or are just about to finish their degree. But lots of university students are also employed in some type of job (e.g., teaching, flipping burgers, selling products, bartending, etc.) --- working while attending school isn't uncommon, especially when paying out of pocket for most or all of your education. The key is to have a steady job that won't disrupt your class schedule.
Alan Batalanto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, nomad soul.

I know that many students work to fund their studies, I was just wondering if anyone managed to do it while teaching abroad, maybe through distance education or at a local school. I once worked with an American TEFL teacher (with Spanish citizenship) who got her BA in Spain, but is only interested in working in Europe, where she has no red-tape issues using her Spanish passport.

"A steady job that won't disrupt your class schedule" - I have that at the moment, just trying to save some cash and do more research before I commit. In any event, distance education might be an option if I don't study at a local school here.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Batalanto wrote:
Thanks, nomad soul.

I know that many students work to fund their studies, I was just wondering if anyone managed to do it while teaching abroad, maybe through distance education or at a local school. I once worked with an American TEFL teacher (with Spanish citizenship) who got her BA in Spain, but is only interested in working in Europe, where she has no red-tape issues using her Spanish passport.

"A steady job that won't disrupt your class schedule" - I have that at the moment, just trying to save some cash and do more research before I commit. In any event, distance education might be an option if I don't study at a local school here.

It shouldn't be too bad. Many of us have done our education while working (although primarily graduate studies on this forum). Few of us work in locations that will hire prior to undergraduate qualifications. I'm doing 1-2 courses per semester right (I already have a degree, but I'm upgrading in disabilities studies) and it's quite manageable. I work five days a week, and I have two very young children. Totally doable, with dedication.
Alan Batalanto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi santi84,

"I work five days a week, and I have two very young children." - Wow, that's great that you can still study and work, and take care of the children. Well done!

I'm currently in Spain, and I'm trying to decide between studying at a local school, or else distance education with a university in the English - speaking world (which would cost a lot more). Education is cheap here - people I know here pay about 500Euros a semester - but I don't know if a BA from a Spanish uni would be accepted to get a work visa in most Asian countries, which is my ultimate goal. I would hate to put in the time and work only to later find out that my degree wouldn't open the doors to Japan, Taiwan, Thailand etc.

Good luck with your studies, and thanks for the advice.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Batalanto wrote:
Hi santi84,

"I work five days a week, and I have two very young children." - Wow, that's great that you can still study and work, and take care of the children. Well done!

I'm currently in Spain, and I'm trying to decide between studying at a local school, or else distance education with a university in the English - speaking world (which would cost a lot more). Education is cheap here - people I know here pay about 500Euros a semester - but I don't know if a BA from a Spanish uni would be accepted to get a work visa in most Asian countries, which is my ultimate goal. I would hate to put in the time and work only to later find out that my degree wouldn't open the doors to Japan, Taiwan, Thailand etc.

Good luck with your studies, and thanks for the advice.

It could pose a serious problem, or at least limit your options greatly. I would recommend posting or reading the FAQ for individual country forums Although the cost is obviously a big factor, I would be wary of limiting myself like that (regulations abroad don't necessarily follow common sense). You never know where life will take you.[/u]
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Batalanto wrote:

Keep in mind, the majority of us completed our BAs while on home soil; whereas, you're considering a foreign university for your first and maybe only degree. Still, the following threads might interest you:

Last edited by nomad soul on Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan Batalanto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Having taken your advice into consideration,right now I'm thinking that distance education from a university in an Anglophone country might be the safest option, despite the higher costs. I'd rather pay more now than pay less for something that I won't be able to use later.

Now I have to start saving and research some programmes...wish me luck!

Thanks for the useful advice, I appreciate it. Best wishes.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Degree from non-English speaking country? Reply with quote

Alan Batalanto wrote:
Hi Everyone,

It is possible that this question has been asked before, but I have searched through these forums quite a few times and still have not found an answer.

Like other people who started to teach English, I initially worked in a different line of work (book selling), one that did not require many formal qualifications. I made a change a few years ago, and love teaching. My only real problem now is a lack of a BA.

I have resolved to get one at some stage in the next few years, but before I commit the time and money, I have one simple, but very important, question:

I read that Korea requires a degree from an Anglophone country, but what about Japan and Taiwan? Thailand? China?

The reason that I am considering getting a degree in a non-English speaking country is because I am already in Europe, I can speak several European languages almost fluently, and education is cheap here. The only other options for me would be the UK's Open University (not cheap for me because I'm not a UK citizen), The University of London International Programme (not too expensive but self-taught, have to pay them just to take exams), and UNISA (which has a lot of interesting-looking courses, but I've heard bad things about it, and not sure if it's respected/accepted throughout the world).

Any advice you could give me would be a great help!

Thanks.

If your not from and weren't educated in one of seven recognized English speaking countries- England, Australia, Canada, the US, S Africa, New Zealand, or Ireland then you have no chance whatsoever of legally working in Korea. That requirement will possibly become common in most of SE Asia in a couple years as per international agreement.

You seriously need to google a country's requirements to legally teach there to be sure. Asking on an internet board is not the best choice.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google is you're friend...
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's Scotland? Or Wales, for that matter?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Batalanto wrote:
Having taken your advice into consideration,right now I'm thinking that distance education from a university in an Anglophone country might be the safest option, despite the higher costs. I'd rather pay more now than pay less for something that I won't be able to use later.

Always think of your education as an investment. So choose wisely in terms of the university and the degree major instead of focusing solely on the cheapest, easiest route. By the way, a BA is now considered to be what a high school diploma was decades ago --- the bare minimum for most jobs at home and abroad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: