Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadians or Americans obtaining Hungarian citizenship?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dedicated

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enkates,

Well, your assumptions about me are wrong for starters - I'm not British nor am I a native English speaker.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure anyone who contributed to this thread is British. But making an issue of that is surely completely off-topic.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Excuse me, but everyone in this thread who I can easily see happen to be British are the very people who dither, criticize, misunderstand the whole point and make presumptive claims to absolute truth

I'm not British. I'm American and have lived and worked in the EU since 1998. Also Canada.

I did usefully debunk Enkate's suggestion that working for a particular charitable education organization in Hungary would confer a long-term work permit for the country or that said work permit might allow one to work in the rest of the EU. I assure you that's not a presumptive claim on my part

I think that having Hungarian grandparents will not give you much of a heads-up on the language learning, unfortunately. Mine were Finnish, and that certainly hasn't helped in my case;-)

Enkates has graciously weighed in with his charitable educational organization suggestion - otherwise doesn't seem to have much direct experience to offer.

I don't know the exact current procedure for gaining Hungarian citizenship, though I expect it does indeed involve a language test - which may be more or less rigorous. In any case, this is information most easily gained from the Hungarian Embassy website. Laughing
Enkates

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:
Excuse me, but everyone in this thread who I can easily see happen to be British are the very people who dither, criticize, misunderstand the whole point and make presumptive claims to absolute truth

I'm not British. I'm American and have lived and worked in the EU since 1998. Also Canada.

I did usefully debunk Enkate's suggestion that working for a particular charitable education organization in Hungary would confer a long-term work permit for the country or that said work permit might allow one to work in the rest of the EU. I assure you that's not a presumptive claim on my part

I think that having Hungarian grandparents will not give you much of a heads-up on the language learning, unfortunately. Mine were Finnish, and that certainly hasn't helped in my case;-)

I don't know the exact current procedure for gaining Hungarian citizenship, though I expect it does indeed involve a language test - which may be more or less rigorous. In any case, this is information most easily gained from the Hungarian Embassy website. Laughing
So you're not British but you still show a real lack of reading comprehension skills.

I did not "suggest" that that 'working for a particular charitable education organization in Hungary would confer a long-term work permit for the country or that said work permit might allow one to work in the rest of the EU'. I wrote:
Quote:
I ... asked them if after a year in Hungary I could shift over to some other EU country hence obtaining that North American ESL teacher Holy Grail - eligibility to work in the EU. They said that they couldn't see why not.
I merely report their lukewarm claim. I do not endorse it or claim it is a way for a North American to get into the EU. And do you know what? It turns out the OP is not interested in getting into another EU country. I did bring it up because I thought it might be helpful. It wasn't, but it is you and some other guy who won't stop talking about it.

I also never said having Hungarian grandparents would give anyone 'a heads up on language learning'. How could I have when I don't even understand what that means? What is a heads up on language learning? Did you coin that phrase or do you just mindlessly repeat cool-sounding phrases?

I wrote:
Quote:
Linguistics MAs I have known tell me that early exposure to a language gives you an edge.
An 'edge' means an advantage. A head start perhaps but not a heads up.

I also wrote:
Quote:
I think as a person of Hungarian heritage you will find their language less challenging or in the very least easier to pronounce than a non-Hungarian.
Surely, I am right about this, taking in the context that the person heard Hungarian or whatever language from an early age and onward. If it did not work in your case, well, you have shown time and again that you don't pay much attention to what anyone is saying and rarely think things through.

Case in point, you say that you 'don't know the exact procedure for gaining Hungarian citizenship, though you expect it does indeed involve a language test - which may be more or less rigorous.'

No you don't know the exact procedure and yet you keep going on about it as if you do. You "know" people who work for the very company I refer to, but you don't tell us its name.

You 'expect' there is a language test because General Disarray has told us there is, but of course you paid no attention, and imagine its your own brilliant reasoning at work.

"More or less rigorous'? What a stunning command of language you possess. Rolling Eyes
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enkates, did you have anything to contribute to a conversation about getting Hungarian citizenship?

Have you ever been to Hungary? Know anyone there? Have you taught in the country or even the region? Do you actually know anything beyond the 'lukewarm claims' made by one organization which you have already contributed?

I'm sure you're having great fun bashing me and the others who've posted here, but so far very light on actual contributions to the OP.
water rat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my modest contribution, and you made yours. The difference is I speculated, while you made pronouncements and commented on what I and others have said without really understanding what we said. I talked about what might be helpful. You told us what you know with so little elaboration and such baseless authority that it hasn't been at all helpful. Then when you show that you are unable to follow the conversation, it makes me think you probably also don't know what you're talking about when you hold forth on Hungarian emigration law.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I answered the OP's question to the best of my knowledge. I'm not prepared to be further involved in these personal attacks.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear water rat:

I don't see you earlier in the conversation. How many of you are there?

In any case, I'm with Dedicated. I contributed what I know to be true here, and not interested in further useless drama.

spiral
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smell a rat!!
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disinformation and nonsense by the bucketload. Here is something from the Ministry of Truth

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24848361
itinerantteacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: foot in the door hungary Reply with quote

the organization referred to in this post (pay 2500usd for two semesters, not one calendar year, to work legally in hungary) is just that and no more. it's a bad deal financially because your salary is low and teaching hours long. these two things are not the deal breaker. the biggest problem with this 'organization' is they either help you or ignore you. some participants get loads of help to sort out everything in hungary, others get nothing. the 'organization' doesn't really care as long as they get their money.
asking the people in the organization for help with the NEXT step of living in hungary is pointless. they don't know nor care.

yes, if you stay with this organization for 8 years !!! as a legal resident of hungary, you can then apply for permanent residency. but, after 2 years with this organization, your salary actually decreases due to increased taxes.

if you managed to marry a local, then you can go that route and become a permanent resident much sooner and easier. not loads easier, but easier )))

getting ANOTHER company to sponsor you as a non-eu teacher is next to impossible. it simply costs too much. there are loads of non-eu people working in other fields in hungary, but again, the company sponsors the work visa and bob's your uncle.

i have struggled through the non-eu 'discrimination' )))) for years. it's frustrating. i haven't cracked it yet, but am still hopeful. and i buy lottery tickets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: