Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get documents notarized in Canada--apostille?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
снеговик

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: How to get documents notarized in Canada--apostille? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been given a good offer to work in Russia and the company is very helpful, but I've just learned that to get my passport notarized so that I can work in Russia (legally) will cost $800. I doubt my employer wants to cover this fee, and ill just eat it if i have to (I'm not poor). But shit, isn't there an easier way to get my passport apostilled (notarized)? Canada didn't agree to this international convention in 1960.

Any Canadians here? What have you done?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good god, man! What's this about?

Never heard of such a thing, from any Canadian colleagues.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess... But sometimes when relations between two countries are greatly strained, they impose ridiculous work and/or visit visa requirements on each other's citizens. This was the situation with Saudi Arabia and Canada a few years ago. The Canadian government took too long to process visas for Saudis heading abroad for study. In retaliation, Saudi employment visa applications for Canadians took a month or so longer compared to their US and UK peers. Some Saudi companies wouldn't include Canada on their lists of applicant nationalities.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Good god, man! What's this about?

Never heard of such a thing, from any Canadian colleagues.

I've never heard about anything like this from anyone, period.

Even as a UK (and admittedly Irish) citizen, and given the relationships between the UK and Russia, I've not even had this as a requirement!

nomad_soul is right, although just FYI n_s, I've heard Americans in Saudi often spend longer getting their visas than Brits/South Africans for Saudi work visas.
снеговик

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because I have to use a lawyer to verify the document. And, well, lawyers charge a lot. If Canada had accepted the apostille convention I could just go to any government office. Canada is the only developed nation that has not signed this agreement.

So basically a lawyer says the document is ok, then he send it to more lawyers that say its ok, then they send it to the Russian consulate and they say it's ok. This is th old system before apostille.

I suspect other employers don't get real working visas for their teachers. My employer said something like very few schools have that authorization.

Anyway, it's a respectable school run by a guy from England, and they don't benefit in any way from this—it's just this end that's terrible.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamajorba wrote:
nomad_soul is right, although just FYI n_s, I've heard Americans in Saudi often spend longer getting their visas than Brits/South Africans for Saudi work visas.

My Saudi visa process didn't take long. Regardless, the application process for Americans is slightly different compared to other nationalities mainly because the US is made up of 50 self-governing states.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

снеговик wrote:
It's because I have to use a lawyer to verify the document. And, well, lawyers charge a lot. If Canada had accepted the apostille convention I could just go to any government office. Canada is the only developed nation that has not signed this agreement.

So basically a lawyer says the document is ok, then he send it to more lawyers that say its ok, then they send it to the Russian consulate and they say it's ok. This is th old system before apostille.

I suspect other employers don't get real working visas for their teachers. My employer said something like very few schools have that authorization.

Anyway, it's a respectable school run by a guy from England, and they don't benefit in any way from this—it's just this end that's terrible.

Then just get a different visa type - a teacher visa might have different requirements. Who knows. 800 anything is a steep price just to prove your passport is real.

How do Russian passport control officers in airports manage to verify passports without lawyers, I wonder...

At risk of being nosy, it isn't IPT you are applying to, is it? Nothing respectable there...
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

снеговик wrote:

It sounds like this requirement is a one-time thing. Regardless, do an Internet search on canadian passport notarized; there are discussion forums where other Canadians claim to have paid much less than the amount you were quoted.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Gamajorba wrote:

My Saudi visa process didn't take long. Regardless, the application process for Americans is slightly different compared to other nationalities mainly because the US is made up of 50 self-governing states.

I'm not saying it applies to all Americans, but for those I did speak to, it took them quite a while.
снеговик

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
снеговик wrote:

Then just get a different visa type - a teacher visa might have different requirements. Who knows. 800 anything is a steep price just to prove your passport is real.

How do Russian passport control officers in airports manage to verify passports without lawyers, I wonder...

At risk of being nosy, it isn't IPT you are applying to, is it? Nothing respectable there...

No, it's just a one of a kind school—privately owned. And it's good all around Smile

So I found out I can go through the Federal Government of Canada to get it done too. But I still have to send the passport to Ottawa. It will be loads cheaper. The lawyer charges that rate because he does it all the time in Canada, and thus one has peace of mind that things, though expensive, will be done properly. I also have to get a notarized copy of a doctor's letter saying that I don't have several conditions.

Anyway, I'm going into the city (lVancouver) to get the tests done and I'll decide which route I'll go. The thing is, the job is exactly where I want to work and I have lots of friends there, so I don't want to pass it up.

BTW, passport officers don't hire, so it's a little different, no? Wink
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No passport controllers don't hire, but they accept that the passport is valid without notarization all the same when you hand it over to them at the airport in Russia.

All this nonsense for visa applications is just the beginning, though. Expect the same notarization requirements, plus translation into Russian, if you want to open a bank account here.

Anyway, best of luck to you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: