Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding places that still have spirit...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the disdain for cheese-eaters ? Some of us are very cosmopolitan.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
Maybe a compromise is in order. How about a place with just a bit of spirit, OK money, fast internet and semi-OK health care?

I don't know anyone who thinks we live in a utopia. Most people just get on with it. A small percentage of brave souls do something different, e.g. TEFLing, in hopefully nice but non-utopian places.

Yup! Ditto this! I'll take it: a bit of spirit, a bit of money, decent-ish health care and fast internet! (What? No cheese?) Laughing
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Why the disdain for cheese-eaters ? Some of us are very cosmopolitan.

I'm as partial to a ploughman's lunch as much as the next person, but a ploughman's is something to be savoured. Fresh crusty bread, thick mature cheddar, huge dollop of pickle and fourteen onions washed down with a bucket of best.

The saddo's lunch meanwhile is orange cheese slices on white processed bread followed by a Mars bar and a packet of Monster Munch, enjoyed whilst reading The Daily Mail online at his desk. This is only Monday to Thursday, mind. Friday sees a whole new extravagance. Yes, an apple, freed from DDT with a quick rub on one's Friday dress down day jeans.

I must admit to sitting next to the above saddo and seeing his waistline travel, although not at lunchtimes, for the past year. I made lots of desperately needed cash in doing so, but now I need to do something else, maybe find a place that has spirit. I'm free to suggestions as to what job I could do.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spirit ? You can find lots of spirit on sale at "Alko" the State Liquor Monopoly in Finland.

http://www.alko.fi/en/search/products/?tags=(6115)(6996)
Lack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:

I don't know anyone who thinks we live in a utopia. Most people just get on with it. A small percentage of brave souls do something different, e.g. TEFLing, in hopefully nice but non-utopian places.

I realize that I was wrong before. While right-wing types tend to think the uptopian age is past, left-wing types tend to think it is coming in the future. (I say left and right wing types for lack of better words.) I suppose no group thinks the utopian time is now or coming terribly soon.

Quote:
The saddest people I've met work in offices (where I too was sad) and say stuff like, "Wow, Berlin! I'd like to go there for a weekend one day. Can you get cheddar cheese?" These bores are doomed to life at a desk eating cheese for lunch (at their desk). They too probably planned to find a place with spirit, new job, new wife, new cheese, etc, but never quite got round to it.

I suppose that as long as I don't become this, then I can look upon the zombies of modern life and turn it into a little stoic exercise in order to keep myself from succumbing to despair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: