Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do Good Language Videos Exist Online? If Not, I'll Create
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebooktrial0001

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Do Good Language Videos Exist Online? If Not, I'll Create Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

One of the problems I face over and over again in my teaching is not there there is too little information, but there is too much and it is quite disorganized.

1. Does anyone have any way to find out what are the most common lessons taught in an ESL course?

2. If not, who or where would I go to find the answer to this? (Maybe a top ranked professor who teaches ESL, as at Columbia University).

3. If no good online lessons exist, I'd be happy to make some using Camtasia, etc.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your questions are too broad. Videos for which contexts and purposes? Instructional videos that students just sit and watch as a major element of a lesson? Supplemental videos for flipped classroom assignments and WebQuests? For which learner levels and cultural contexts? Too broad. Plus, what do you mean by the "most common lessons taught in an ESL course?"

Frankly, just check with the publisher(s) of the textbooks your school uses; they very likely have a website with supplemental videos, worksheets, online exercises, teacher resources, etc. Otherwise, create materials when needed or do a very specific search on the Net for materials for your target topic.
santi84

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All your threads indicate that you really want to make money off EFL students by creating books/materials. Okay, fine, none of us are in it just for charity. I'm curious, do you have the sort of experience and credentials that qualify you to make anything worth adding to a saturated market?

There are tons of videos available, much of which we use from local resources (ELSA BC and GoA is what I use in Western Canada). These are designed in consultation with local ESL consultants, health professionals, market researchers, etc. Now, they aren't optimal to other ESL/EFL markets, but the same are elsewhere too.

For casual (free) instruction, ESL consultants like JenniferESL provide excellent instructional videos on YouTube. I believe she charges private lessons, but isn't taking clients. Nomad has already explained that most text publishers provide their own materials.
santi84

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Good Language Videos Exist Online? If Not, I'll Crea Reply with quote

ebooktrial0001 wrote:

2. If not, who or where would I go to find the answer to this? (Maybe a top ranked professor who teaches ESL, as at Columbia University).

Laughing You have mentioned your ivy league roots before, but just to be clear, "top-ranked" professionals in the EFL/ESL world doesn't necessarily correlate to the US ivy league. I just thought I'd mention, since your threads have been getting a bit pretentious.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
All your threads indicate that you really want to make money off EFL students by creating books/materials. Okay, fine, none of us are in it just for charity. I'm curious, do you have the sort of experience and credentials that qualify you to make anything worth adding to a saturated market?

My thought was that the OP wanted to make money selling his videos to EFL teachers:

ebooktrial0001 wrote:
If no good online lessons exist, I'd be happy to make some using Camtasia, etc.

Camtasia is mainly for webcam and screen recording, so it's unclear what your videos will entail unless you plan on recording yourself (as a talking head) delivering some sort of lesson. Confused
ebooktrial0001

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I'm actually about to put forth $4000 to start a non-profit for basic education lessons.

Even places like Khan Academy have too much stuff, hence making it disorganized.

I feel the basic lessons that people need to know are ESL and basic skills training (such as basic writing, math, science, social studies).

I'd just like to get videos of common lessons. I'll look into Jennifer's ESL lessons.

Just to be clear, to anyone who thinks that Ivy League education is the best, it is not. I feel it is often impractical; the world needs more practicality.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before going ahead with this project, I would do a lot more research. Do a comprehensive survey of what is already out there, and an analysis of your findings. What is available at what levels, content, weaknesses, strengths, etc? Do you already have your own ideas about techniques and approaches for creating effective video lessons? Are you planning to design a comprehensive curriculum, or just create individual lessons to fill gaps in what is available? Who are you trying to reach? Do you want to market to students? Teachers? Schools? Materials publishers? Or create a website available to all? Very Happy

As Santi mentioned, there are already lots of on-line materials available. Do carefully examine what's already available so that you don't reinvent the wheel--er, lesson.

Just a few random thoughts for your perusal. . . Very Happy

nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebooktrial0001 wrote:
One of the problems I face over and over again in my teaching is not there there is too little information, but there is too much (information) and it is quite disorganized.

1. Does anyone have any way to find out what are the most common lessons taught in an ESL course?

2. If not, who or where would I go to find the answer to this?

3. If no good online lessons exist, I'd be happy to make some using Camtasia, etc.

and ebooktrial0001 wrote:
I'm actually about to put forth $4000 to start a non-profit for basic education lessons.

Even places like Khan Academy have too much stuff, hence making it disorganized.

I feel the basic lessons that people need to know are ESL and basic skills training (such as basic writing, math, science, social studies).

Save your money. It seems that your problem stems from doing too general an Internet search for whatever instructional videos/material you're looking for. Besides, you don't have a clear business plan nor background in instructional design.
santi84

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebooktrial0001 wrote:

For what market?

My Canadian ESL students have plenty of professionally-produced materials, made with experienced ESL consultants in their community.

Are you going to make a "social studies" video for a Japanese high school student? That would be quite problematic. What is your market? Are you an experienced teacher who is going to make good videos? There's enough YouTube amateurs. JenniferESL is a highly experienced/qualified teacher with a very specific market. That's why her videos work - for HER market.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

1. Have I missed something here? If you want the answer to this question, why not look in any textbook to see what's covered in terms of functional language / grammar / pronunciation, etc

2. Why bother with professors at universities in English-speaking countries? Do you have any contacts / experience with institutions or universities in your target countries? Why not find out there what's needed, what's taught and so on? Or ask your students what they find most difficult...
ebooktrial0001

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Perhaps I am trying to scour too much area at once.

My goal would be to be like KhanAcademy, but focus on a key set of basic knowledge and skills that every citizen should know.

At it's core, I think something resembling a GED prep course would be good. That is English language arts, mathematics, science, social studies; only this site would not be for test prep, but rather for general skills that happen to prepare for tests like the GED, HiSet, Tasc, etc.

ESL would be the next phase after that, since so many people always ask about ESL; but, it's not clear to me what are the best sites for videos, etc. The information out there just seems too cluttered. There is no clear singular resource or book that covers everything.

In the same way Wheelock's Latin is considered to go to guide for Latin (over other books), the Oxford English Dictionary the go-to resource for looking up a word, etc. so too must there be a source for ESL learning?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebooktrial0001 wrote:
Perhaps I am trying to scour too much area at once.

My goal would be to be like KhanAcademy, but focus on a key set of basic knowledge and skills that every citizen should know.

At it's core, I think something resembling a GED prep course would be good. That is English language arts, mathematics, science, social studies; only this site would not be for test prep, but rather for general skills that happen to prepare for tests like the GED, HiSet, Tasc, etc.

Yep, you're way out in left field on this one. For starters, the GED is specific to North American and follows mandated educational standards. Additionally, there are lots of qualified GED teachers/tutors, both online and in-person, assisting learners with the content as well as librarians who can help with finding instructional prep materials online and in print. (Print materials are just as important; not everyone has access to the Internet or a computer.) Therefore, what research have you conducted or found that points to the need for more GED prep content online? Moreover, since you expect to create the videos yourself, what is your experience with instructional design and applying multimedia design principles, learning theories, best practices, etc.?

and ebooktrial0001 wrote:
ESL would be the next phase after that, since so many people always ask about ESL; but, it's not clear to me what are the best sites for videos, etc. The information out there just seems too cluttered. There is no clear singular resource or book that covers everything.

Who are these "many people" asking about ESL? English learners in Anglophone countries or EFL learners abroad? Newbie or experienced teachers who are lousy at (or lazy) when it comes to finding materials online?

For some reason, you still haven't identified your target audience or market. Plus, you're ignoring the numerous educational publishers out there who already offer up-to-date ESL instructional content in print, online, and in digital formats.
ebooktrial0001

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the honest concern.

You've asked a lot of questions and let me see if I can answer them.

1. To my knowledge, there is not much consensus on a "basket of educational skills and knowledge" that every citizen of the world should know, the same way as we have a "basket of goods" necessary to measure inflation.

2. In a perfect world, UNESCO would create and enforce education standards in the world. But, in it's absence, the American Council on Education is the closest thing.

The GED is one (of several) tests that measure basic skills deemed necessary for academic, job success, and life.

3. My co-teacher will do some of the multi-media. For me, the real thing is a consolidated, one stop resource. Even Wikipedia, KhanAcademy, GoogleEducation, and a few other big sites do not have a comprehensive, organized sites for listing the basics of "what should an educated person know". When I have lobbied them, they reject the plea.

4. A lot of it will not need to create content from scratch, but rather link to existing videos, etc.[/b]
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In a perfect world, UNESCO would create and enforce education standards in the world.
But, in it's absence, the American Council on Education is the closest thing.

I suspect strongly that the EU would object to this notion. At least in Europe (as in Canada) there are standards to describe language proficiency. Further, if you check the rankings of US students as opposed to other developed countries, I think you'll find the US system isn't exactly leading the international pack Rolling Eyes
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebooktrial0001 wrote:
To my knowledge, there is not much consensus on a "basket of educational skills and knowledge" that every citizen of the world should know, the same way as we have a "basket of goods" necessary to measure inflation.

Even Wikipedia, KhanAcademy, GoogleEducation, and a few other big sites do not have a comprehensive, organized sites for listing the basics of "what should an educated person know". When I have lobbied them, they reject the plea.

They weren't interested because you didn't provide a well-thought out, realistic proposal of your idea. That includes knowing who your target audience is. (An "educated person" and "every citizen of the world" are vague and ambiguous.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: