Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monoglossia in EFL-Land
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deats wrote:
I must have been having such a powerful orgasm for the entirety of that transformative hour that I blacked out.

I'd love to hear others' experiences about how that hour changed their lives.

What cert do you have? A Celta? A Trinity?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to do a quick wiki of 'transformative' as it relates to learning. Not about changing lives, as such. Even sex lives. More about changing perspectives...

Last edited by Sashadroogie on Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3701 W.119th wrote:
My CELTA group had our lesson in Polish. Learning to order a snack and drinks at a cafe. Tough language.

I found it really useful, as a noob. Others in the group just saw it as a nice change of pace. Different strokes.

Would you happen to remember how many of them had studied/learnt a language this way prior to this input session?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kpjf wrote:
Deats wrote:
For all the help that acquiring a second language can be, it can also be a hindrance.

Yep, good point. A double edged sword.

Only if you don't know how to use it. As with most things...
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sasha,

And, as my experience would seem to indicate, not all are as proficient as you in wielding that sword. Very Happy

Regards,
John
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Johnslat

Thank you. But my real forte is in ice-picks. Umbrellas are a close second, picked up in Bulgaria. Happily, handbags do not feature.

With Communist greetings

Sasha
Deats

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My qualifications are not what is important in this debate.

Anyway, I have massed up so much empathy that this trumps all else.

I'm happy to know that I am better than all teachers who haven't tried to learn a second language, as I have. I'm glowing with pride. My ego has been sufficiently massaged and now I will go around telling everyone how great I am. And also belittling those beneath me.

What fun it is to be smug, I should have tried sooner!
kpjf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound like for Fluffy it was transformative:

fluffyhamster wrote:
Quote:
I am not putting any emphasis at all on second language acquisition as such. I have never said that EFL teachers need to have learnt a second language. What I have said is that those who have tried will in nearly every case be better teachers for it.

I tried to learn some Greek once. Really, I did, and the italics prove that. But there was something about the "lesson" that simply didn't click. Ah, right, I think it may have been on my cert. Anyway, I'm glad to hear I must be a better teacher for it. Hooray! No more impugning now of my abilities!!

(Lots of italics and no brackets!)
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Deats,

Smug is OK, just don't be Smaug.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140226234111/lotr/images/9/94/Smaug_Headshot.png

Regards,
John
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a little more time. But there is hope. Just look at the progress that has been made with brackets! Very Happy
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deats wrote:
My qualifications are not what is important in this debate.

But my language learning history and my students are?

Just help me to get this straight, please - it is OK for you to deflect by making presumptions, and speculating on other posters, but nobody can ask anything about you? Even when your posts seem to indicate that you actually have not done a training course which includes a sample 'unknown' language lesson - a feature relevant to this discussion? So rather than ask for clarification, we should just assume that you only have a dubious online cert, or something?

Not sure that that is really cricket.
Deats

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I only have an online cert. I have worked with people who have CELTA's and in house TEFL's and they were utterly feckless. And that is being complementary. However, this is not to say there aren't teachers who have greatly benefited from taking these courses. Of course there are. There are always examples of each. You can't fail in house certs anyway. I think CELTA has 99% pass rate if I am not mistaken. Not that it really matters but I passed my cert with A.

Taking a 1 hour lesson in another language... it's laughable. As others have written on here, some people MAY benefit and some people have clearly stated that it was of no benefit. Going from - you should have tried to learn another language - to - having a 1 hour lesson being enough, is quite a jump. And rather absurd. Everyone in the world who teaches has probably learned another language for 60 minutes over the period of their life.

I'm not sure how much more we need to go around in circles. I have clearly and rationally stated from my first post: some people will benefit from learning a second language, some people won't. You on the other hand insist you are right and only teachers who have learned a second language are capable of being ESL teachers, even though there are obviously teachers who prove otherwise. You are completely inflexible in your beliefs... you are right and everyone who disagrees is wrong. After all you have listed a couple of authors so this proves you are right. Rolling Eyes

Such an ego doesn't really go with having empathy as a teacher. You must always be right, so if the student disagrees, they are simply wrong and must listen to you. Or are you only like that online?

It's like listening to a religious nut who just knows they are right. They have no evidence to back up their faith but anyone who disagrees with them must be wrong. Hey, they have authors and books who prove they are right. Just because there are other authors and books who have counter arguments, this doesn't matter. Because your authors must be right, because you believe it to be true. Rolling Eyes
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for confirming my thoughts - you have never had the experience of a face-to-face course. Yet you feel the need to comment on the unknown language input session of a Celta, without actually knowing what it is like. Now, that I believe is quite presumptuous.

As for the rest of your contribution, ignoring the many more insults you have penned, could I point out to you that you are again misquoting me? Please show me where I have said only teachers who have learnt a second language are capable of being ESL teachers? I said they will be better teachers for the experience of at least trying to learn. If this distinction is too subtle for you, then you may wish to re-visit your claims to rationality.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a full-year postgraduate TESL certificate and we never had to take a lesson in another language. Funny enough, I did take a lesson in Polish for a childhood language acquisition course (L1), so as to empathize with what babies endure Laughing

ETA: It was Czech, sorry, not Polish.
Deats

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasha, I am mocking the one hour component as you think it plays some huge role in a teachers development. Sorry, but if this is the most important thing to come from the course, then I will save my money.

Sashadroogie wrote:
I dunno, Deats. It looks very much like you are falling into the 'personality teacher' trap. Of course rapport and presence are vital. But charisma is no replacement for real teaching ability. And this ability is exceedingly rare in those who have little or no experience in second language learning. That doesn't mean a natural flair for picking up languages with ease - talented people like that can often be very unsympathetic to the average learners' needs. But having some appreciation of the problems involved, the ability to predict them, and provide solutions, this nearly always comes from direct experience of learning a language oneself. Any language. To any level.

Anyway, you are changing the discussion. You are saying that for teachers who have not learned a second language it is 'exceedingly rare' that they will have 'real teaching ability'.

Actually, you have subtly altered your point of view so many times in the thread and gone off on so many tangents, it is hard to keep track of some of the points you are making.

The core of your argument has been disproved by people on here disagreeing with you. Actually I would say more people disagree with you than agree. But this sample audience's opinion is clearly not valid...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: