Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

inAdvance Recruitment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uaeobserver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: inAdvance Recruitment Reply with quote

hello all,

Just received an unsolicited recruiting notice from Michele Cain, from inAdvance Recruitment, saying they're recruiting for an institution in Saudi.

Looks kind of suspicious to me ---
littlejam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,

i got one from michelle cain as well
but if i remember correctly i did send something to them
or might have quickly submitted something to them via seriousteachers.com

Representatives: InAdvance / Prince Mohammed Bin Fahd University (www.pmu.edu.sa)

i don't feel like going to maimi: i have no money anyway

perhaps a phone interview or something...cheers, j
teacherj

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Current Dealings with 'Michelle Cain'/inAdvance/cryan@... Reply with quote

Obviously the previous posts are old but I was recently contacted by Michelle Cain and have had quite the sketchy experience so naturally I will share.

I initially emailed [email protected] in response to a job ad. I was then contacted by 'Michelle Cain' from inAdvance Recruiting saying that my details had been forwarded to her from Cheryl Ryan, a 'trusted colleague'.

She asked for details about my preferences, additional documents etc. and suggested she had multiple possible positions.

A few days later she emails asking for reference letters to give to a potential employer. That was all- no who/what/when/where.

When I ask for these minor details, I find out she'd already put me forward for a job with ICEAT at KSU- something I'm not interested in, but she never asked.

Then she mentions a direct hire position at PMU and attaches some PMU forms for me to fill out. I have two problems with this:
1) It's direct hire- what do I need a recruiting agency for?
2) It's a 2 year contract which I am simply not interested in.

When I reiterate that I do not want a 2 year contract, which is why I have not already applied to PMU myself, she suggests that I "go with the flow" and give notice after a year. AKA sign a contract I have no intention of keeping, AKA lie.

I tell her in no uncertain terms that I will not do this. Morality aside, I want my end of contract bonus and return ticket.

Naturally, I get no response.

A week or so later I get an email from 'Michelle' with the offer from ICEAT for KSU.

ONE day post-offer I begin to receive calls from a UK number. I missed the calls as I was working and the one voice mail left is from a man and the connection is so bad I have no idea who he is or why he's calling.

TWO days post-offer, again more calls all morning, again I am working, again, no idea what the man is saying in his message.
I then get a call/voice mail from a US number. This time it's Cheryl Ryan saying that 'Michelle' is "desperately trying to reach me" and would I please contact her.

I call Cheryl, express my displeasure at such harassment and question why Michelle is so 'desperate' but didn't try emailing me. In the course of the conversation Cheryl brings up PMU and she ALSO suggests giving notice early on the 2 year contract!!!

I then email Michelle, again express my displeasure, and decline the KSU offer.
Not ten minutes later I get a response that AGAIN suggests PMU. I got the impression that whomever sent the latest response had never read my previous emails.

Either way... not sure I was ever communicating with 'Michelle Cain' and I find it offensive that anyone would suggest I sign a contract only to break it.

Also, I was NEVER interviewed in ANY way.

Anyone looking for a recruiter- I wouldn't waste your time... unless of course you want a position at KSU and would prefer not to be interviewed... or for some reason don't want to apply to PMU on your own.
mnruman

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Current Dealings with 'Michelle Cain'/inAdvance/cryan@.. Reply with quote

teacherj wrote:
Obviously the previous posts are old but I was recently contacted by Michelle Cain and have had quite the sketchy experience so naturally I will share.

I initially emailed [email protected] in response to a job ad. I was then contacted by 'Michelle Cain' from inAdvance Recruiting saying that my details had been forwarded to her from Cheryl Ryan, a 'trusted colleague'.

She asked for details about my preferences, additional documents etc. and suggested she had multiple possible positions.

A few days later she emails asking for reference letters to give to a potential employer. That was all- no who/what/when/where.

When I ask for these minor details, I find out she'd already put me forward for a job with ICEAT at KSU- something I'm not interested in, but she never asked.

Then she mentions a direct hire position at PMU and attaches some PMU forms for me to fill out. I have two problems with this:
1) It's direct hire- what do I need a recruiting agency for?
2) It's a 2 year contract which I am simply not interested in.

When I reiterate that I do not want a 2 year contract, which is why I have not already applied to PMU myself, she suggests that I "go with the flow" and give notice after a year. AKA sign a contract I have no intention of keeping, AKA lie.

I tell her in no uncertain terms that I will not do this. Morality aside, I want my end of contract bonus and return ticket.

Naturally, I get no response.

A week or so later I get an email from 'Michelle' with the offer from ICEAT for KSU.

ONE day post-offer I begin to receive calls from a UK number. I missed the calls as I was working and the one voice mail left is from a man and the connection is so bad I have no idea who he is or why he's calling.

TWO days post-offer, again more calls all morning, again I am working, again, no idea what the man is saying in his message.
I then get a call/voice mail from a US number. This time it's Cheryl Ryan saying that 'Michelle' is "desperately trying to reach me" and would I please contact her.

I call Cheryl, express my displeasure at such harassment and question why Michelle is so 'desperate' but didn't try emailing me. In the course of the conversation Cheryl brings up PMU and she ALSO suggests giving notice early on the 2 year contract!!!

I then email Michelle, again express my displeasure, and decline the KSU offer.
Not ten minutes later I get a response that AGAIN suggests PMU. I got the impression that whomever sent the latest response had never read my previous emails.

Either way... not sure I was ever communicating with 'Michelle Cain' and I find it offensive that anyone would suggest I sign a contract only to break it.

Also, I was NEVER interviewed in ANY way.

Anyone looking for a recruiter- I wouldn't waste your time... unless of course you want a position at KSU and would prefer not to be interviewed... or for some reason don't want to apply to PMU on your own.

Just out of curiosity, did you provide them with references etc before of after the started making these offers? Also what qualifications and experience did you inform them off?
forumchi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a decent company, I had no problem with them. They hire for other recruiters.
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheryl Ryan is one of the few "good" recruiters. My advice to you would be to stay in touch with her for any future opportunities.
nwtefl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed Inadvance a month ago as they had a UAE job on there. I was told it had been filled - fair enough - but also in the email the person said it was hard to get jobs in the UAE and Oman. This is plainly crap for the latter, as I've been offered 2 jobs in Oman in the past 2 months......just not sure why she said that.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwtefl wrote:
I've been offered 2 jobs in Oman in the past 2 months....

What about that AUM position in Kuwait?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: