Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to get a job in Moscow, how to determine fair terms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esvoytko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to get a job in Moscow, how to determine fair ter Reply with quote

Twinfan603 wrote:
I know that my age and lack of experience tilt things against any favor I have by being a native speaker.

I'd like to ask a question about this portion of the original post. How do TEFL employers in Russia (or anywhere else) view age? I always assumed that the big chain schools wanted people in the 21 - 25 year-old range, assuming that they would be more willing to work for low wages, and that they might be more engaging as conversational class teachers.

Have I got that backwards? Are older applicants viewed as more mature (perhaps less likely to "do a runner")? I suppose my question assumes that two applicants of different ages have comparable experience and qualifications.
Deats

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to get a job in Moscow, how to determine fair ter Reply with quote

esvoytko wrote:
Twinfan603 wrote:
I know that my age and lack of experience tilt things against any favor I have by being a native speaker.

I'd like to ask a question about this portion of the original post. How do TEFL employers in Russia (or anywhere else) view age? I always assumed that the big chain schools wanted people in the 21 - 25 year-old range, assuming that they would be more willing to work for low wages, and that they might be more engaging as conversational class teachers.

Have I got that backwards? Are older applicants viewed as more mature (perhaps less likely to "do a runner")? I suppose my question assumes that two applicants of different ages have comparable experience and qualifications.

EFL is a big world but plenty of schools would prefer younger candidates to teach children as they have more energy to do this and more connection with the students. It depends on the place you work.

A couple of years experience is usually preferable, so I'd say 23-40 is the optimum age for many EFL jobs. There are plenty of jobs also available for 40-60 too, but most places would take a 30 year old over a 59 year old if their experience was the same.

Some oldies on here will obviously say otherwise, because this doesn't fit in with their theory that they are the greatest teachers on Earth.
Twinfan603

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esvoytko, I know my answer is lacking in substance, but for what it's worth my situation worked out like this (I'm 21, btw): I applied to 7 places; 2 of them gave me a flat-out no; 2 of them emailed me back to setup interviews; 3 didn't/haven't responded back. This may very well be conditional for my specific situation, but yeah, as a 21 year old that's at least a bit of feedback.

Also since this is my thread I figure I'll try to steer it back on track. The interview went very well (her words, not mine, although I felt the same way). WSI offered me a good package and employment, on the terms that I do my TEFL now, before going to Moscow. And, lending credence to what most of you on here have said, she told me to do one that has the 6 hours of in-person/supervised teaching--that's what they (and most other serious schools she said--and she even managed to mention shitty Chinese places that'd hire people regardless) accept.

I told her that I didn't have the money for the CELTA and I'd find another course that fits those requires and is more affordable. Since I will probably not do this long-term, I really don't know if the CELTA is a realistic investment for me. Does anyone have any cheaper, but still good, recommendations?
Deats

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twinfan603 wrote:
The interview went very well (her words, not mine, although I felt the same way). WSI offered me a good package and employment, on the terms that I do my TEFL now, before going to Moscow. And, lending credence to what most of you on here have said, she told me to do one that has the 6 hours of in-person/supervised teaching--that's what they (and most other serious schools she said--and she even managed to mention shitty Chinese places that'd hire people regardless) accept.

I told her that I didn't have the money for the CELTA and I'd find another course that fits those requires and is more affordable. Since I will probably not do this long-term, I really don't know if the CELTA is a realistic investment for me. Does anyone have any cheaper, but still good, recommendations?

Hahahaha, so she recommended you do something in-house, which you can't afford, but you take the job anyway and promise you will do something you can't afford. Hahahaha.

Just like the Yank who worked with me.

Poor WSI.

Priceless.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Deats

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know how long in-house courses take btw. First, you have to find one that is starting in your time frame, then spend 3-4 weeks taking it.

Oooh, and of course you need to save up $1000+ to take the course.

Hope you didn't promise to go to Moscow any time soon.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Twinfan603

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not something necessarily in-house, just with real teaching time. She said some of the people who work there had online courses with the add-on of hands-on teaching. And no, I didn't take the job; you're reading into the post far too much--I needed a TEFL regardless, so doing one now isn't a 1-to-1 fit for accepting the job at this moment.

Additionally, I said I couldn't afford the $2700 Celta, so you should back off with your endless speculation. Quite frankly, I have no idea how you're not banned from this forum yet. It seems your reputation precedes you as a self-interested troll. You have routinely verified that over and over, and unintentionally I might add. I question whether you honestly have 6 years experience, because you conduct yourself like an attention-starved teenager. Either way, with your level of self-involvement I find it very unlikely that you'd be of substantial help to anyone.

Give me a recommendation or stop posting. Who knows, perhaps I could complete the online course you did and have as much luck in employment opportunities as you've bragged about. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twinfan603, I really wouldn't even entertain the idea of teaching at all if you're not all that interested in it to begin with.

Really, options are incredibly limited without a CELTA and/or experience, and Moscow almost always demands them. So why take work from other teachers in Moscow who actually WANT to teach? (except the 'McSchools', they can go to the clowns!)
Twinfan603

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say I wasn't interested in teaching, because I am. I want to do this. If it was so painstaking or incongruous to me as a person I'd find another way or wait things out and see where my life went. I said I don't think I'm going to do it long-term because a) I have no idea where I'll eventually settle down, and b) if given the choice to do anything I would eventually work for a publishing company. Teaching languages is a natural segue into that.

I was given an interview without specific experience (only general teaching experience) or a TEFL, so I'm by no means taking work away from other teachers. If they are out there applying for the jobs I'm applying for, they are certainly getting them over me. Now that says something about the institutions interviewing me, whether they're Mcschools or not, but honestly I'm ok with that.

I'm not in this for the money, but regardless I've seen the TEFL industry cater to both those intending to make teaching english a life-long pursuit and those looking for a few years work. I understand why they do this for economic reasons, but even so, pushing a CELTA on everyone in some cases won't be the investment it's claimed to be. If I can get a TEFL that does what it needs to do without costing $2700, that is the way I want to go.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twinfan603 wrote:
I really don't know if the CELTA is a realistic investment for me. Does anyone have any cheaper, but still good, recommendations?

What major US city are you in or near?
Twinfan603

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about 45 minutes from NYC.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at http://www.learn4good.com/tefl/new_york_city_tesol_schools.htm to see if any of the 120-hour (practicum inclusive) programs indicated fit your budget. Otherwise, you may have to postpone your overseas travel until you've worked to save up enough money for the cert and initial start-up expenses.
Deats

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twinfan603 wrote:
Who knows, perhaps I could complete the online course you did and have as much luck in employment opportunities as you've bragged about. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing

'luck'. What a strange word. If I got a great job once it may well be luck. But when every job I get is good, then when does it stop being luck?

It's called common sense and hard work.

If you actually read my posts and didn't get your knickers in a twist, you'd understand I am the only one who has offered practical advice.

You don't have the money to do an in-class TEFL or CELTA. I'm the only one who gets this. Others tell you to a) pay for the in-house (which you can't afford or b) stay at home. Nice advice, huh. So what are your options? Do nothing, or do an online one for $200. I'm guessing you can afford $200? So do the online one, apply for the jobs, impress them in the interview, and who knows, maybe you will get offered a job. Alternatively do nothing and your position is weaker.

You have said you are not interested in EFL in the long term. Fine. You don't want to spend thousands of dollars on training. Fine. But something is better than nothing. That is why the online TEFL is so popular. It's identical to the in-class, with the exception of 6 measly hours of teaching - you will do this on your first day in a job for goodness sake. Many schools give several weeks of training, which will be more useful than those 6 hours. Each school has their own way they want you to teach, so knowing the TEFL or CELTA way may not cut it in some places. What you can 'know' in 6 hours is debatable anyway.

Ignore me or have a go at me for this post if you like. Like I said, I'm the only one that has offered you any PRACTICAL ADVICE about your situation.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practical advice??? You ARE having a laugh sunshine!!!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deats wrote:

That is why the online TEFL is so popular. It's identical to the in-class, with the exception of 6 measly hours of teaching - you will do this on your first day in a job for goodness sake. Many schools give several weeks of training, which will be more useful than those 6 hours. Each school has their own way they want you to teach, so knowing the TEFL or CELTA way may not cut it in some places. What you can 'know' in 6 hours is debatable anyway.

Sadly, this deeply mistaken view is quite common. Especially amongst those of us who need to justify their lack of qualifications and their unwillingness or inability to get any years into their EFL work.

What can you 'know' in six measly hours in not really debatable or questionable at all. It is well-known to anybody in the profession. Those who have never had observed lesson feedback from qualified trainers are not in any position whatsoever to comment on the utility of this component of Celta or an equivalent course. They have no practical experience of any of it.

Here is a little video clip. Made in India. Usable in China.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaiJVtHx_NY
Foma87

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would disagree with posters who claim certs are necessary to get a job and make a decent living; as well as to make a real impact on their students by being a good, prepared teacher.

I've worked almost five years in Moscow w/out certs and make just about as much as one can off privates and would also say I've impacted many of my students very positively.

In the meantime, I've had the time to attend many free teaching seminars and to have my classes observed by my colleagues, who have handed out very good feedback.

Just my opinion. Maybe I'm missing something here. But I wouldn't say a lack of cert has held me back in the least, at least if we are speaking long-term. Far more important is professional network and reputation (in terms of getting good jobs) as well as experience and receiving constructive feedback from other pros (for improving your trade).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: