Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to get a job in Moscow, how to determine fair terms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foma87 wrote:
I would disagree with posters who claim certs are necessary to get a job and make a decent living; as well as to make a real impact on their students by being a good, prepared teacher.

I've worked almost five years in Moscow w/out certs and make just about as much as one can off privates and would also say I've impacted many of my students very positively.

In the meantime, I've had the time to attend many free teaching seminars and to have my classes observed by my colleagues, who have handed out very good feedback.

Just my opinion. Maybe I'm missing something here. But I wouldn't say a lack of cert has held me back in the least, at least if we are speaking long-term. Far more important is professional network and reputation (in terms of getting good jobs) as well as experience and receiving constructive feedback from other pros (for improving your trade).

But did you WANT to be a teacher? Did you have the desire and drive to become one?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes, yes. We can all boast about our success. But tell me this, please. How long have you retained your students? Two months? Two years?

Filling up a schedule isn't so hard. Keeping a stable one is a different story.

And for this talk about a professional reputation, Russians generally do not think of teachers with no degrees or teaching qualifications as professionals. Do you tell them you have no real training? What do they say then?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private students can be very lucrative, of course. But not having any quals puts you out of the running for anything else higher up the ladder. Institutes, unis etc. (There are some that pay far, far more than the usual universities most of us are familiar with.)
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked for the university, or worked in a language annex attached to the university. Not quite the same thing.
Foma87

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an undergrad degree and MA, though no teaching cert, so it's not like I'm not educated. Nor am I boasting about how many privates I have and money I rake in.

What I'm not sure about is what Sasha means when he mentions working for unis, institutes and other gigs higher up the latter than privates. If he means elite, private international schools for kids, than I suppose I see his point. Otherwise, I'm at a complete loss -- Russian unis, higher up the latter, really? Maybe someone can enlighten me.

The point is that for many, certs are not necessary to do well as a teacher in at least Moscow, where I work. Of course, I'm not saying that not getting a cert is advisable or won't help you in any way.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Russian unis, higher up the latter, really? Maybe someone can enlighten me.

I don't work in a Russian university, but I do work in a network of state/public universities that includes a number in Russia. These wouldn't typically hire an English language teacher without related qualifications, usually at least DELTA or related MA.

So far as 'higher up the ladder' I suppose you are referring to the relatively low rates of pay at most state/public universities in the region. There are a few exceptions to this, but it's true that uni jobs in general aren't particularly lucrative and a hard-working teacher may be as well or better off teaching businesspeople via a language school.
Foma87

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't work in a Russian university, but I do work in a network of state/public universities that includes a number in Russia

Not sure what you mean. What I meant by Russian uni is state-funded and located in the RF. What other criteria would you attribute to 'Russian uni'. It won't come at a surprise to many that uni rates are lower than the one you can expect from well-off privates. Debatable as to which is higher up the chain, not really as to which pays more.

Sasha speaks of certain Russian unis offering much larger sums to teachers (presumably with proper cert). Outside maybe Skolkova, I am sceptical, though. And what does he mean by institutes -- your typical private English school (some of which go by institute to sound more serious) or state schools that specialize in foreign languages (which is basically a uni)?
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just stress that I never once said that one can't be a good teacher without qualifications?

Yes, it is perfectly possible, however, in places like Russia, they will take someone with qualifications over someone without easily. This is not to say that the person with qualifications is a better teacher as such, but you know...paper at hand...

However, one thing I do disagree with is people who think they can just teach English without any training whatsoever and do it as and when they want, without thinking about the students needs or their own REAL desires. I mean, I WANT to teach English and whatever, I don't see it as a quick fix of money making like so many Brits and Americans seem to think it is.

How Russia actually even employs people with cr*ppy TEFL certificates, or worse, NOTHING AT ALL, is beyond me.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deats is no longer with us.

Unless there is an immediate return to civil discussion on this thread, others will be joining him.

Members noticing inappropriate postings on this or any thread are requested to promptly advise the Mod Team by Report Post or PM.
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: private students.... Reply with quote

Can be very lucrative,true....but they come and go and unless you have a stash saved -up to cover your rent and regular outgoings etc. they are not enough to rely on,even more so when the 'dacha season' is underway?
The secret seems to be to find a job with at least a basic salary,preferably with suitable accom. which leaves you some hours free and then top-up with privates?
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Falling rouble etc.... Reply with quote

Most jobs advertise a salary of around 50.000 R. plus accom. of some kind....this is now less than the equivalent of $1000,which is not much to live on in a place like Moscow.Back in 2006 I earned around 70.000 which was worth over $2000 at that time..shows how times have changed!
Russia is now more than ever for the experience,rather than the money?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As was ever the case, Maruss, there is more money to be made than is ever advertised in LTO job offers.

Is still the Klondike of Europe - Moscow, that is, at least.
maruss

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: you are right Sasha! Reply with quote

the hardest things is surviving life in Moscow,not the job so much!It wore me out and I left feeling years older than when I first arrived!Worst things in my opinion?Overcrowding,pollution, noise, stress and the inevitable winter weather(but anyone should expect the weather anyway!)...other things?high cost of living,generally inhospitable environment and people(until you get to know them individually) and language problem for anyone who cannot at least read the Cyrillic alphabet....
Not surprisingly,Moscow is badly rated for life quality by ex-pats compared to to other places,even though most of them get good salaries and benefits etc!
Many Russians agree with me and would leave if they could but stay because of work etc.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds broadly similar to London to me...
maruss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: I have to differ on that one Sasha! Reply with quote

Knowing both cities well,I consider they are vastly different from many aspects,including quality of life,environment and also the standard of public services etc.although I admit that the Moscow metro is superior in some ways to the London Underground and certainly much cheaper to use and if forced to choose I would definitely say London any day rather than living permanently in Moscow!But I will also admit that in my case it is irrelevant when I have lived mostly in Cyprus since 1979!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: