Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How's the job market where you are?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: How's the job market where you are? Reply with quote

In Poznan it's awful. I've been doing a lot of research and it's simply a drop out's job. There are people on the net offering 25 and 30 pln an hour. Absurd.
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OK in Warsaw, still can get a zl. a minute pretty easily and more if you try. 25- 30 an hour, better go flip burgers back home.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a recession on. Who is going to pay for English lessons when they have no bread on the table ?
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People in Warsaw.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recession? Poland is one of Europe's shining successes. Alone in the EU, Poland did not suffer a recession after the financial crisis. Its economy has grown by 33% since 2007, compared with 2% for the Euro state.

Its transport and energy infrastructure have been transformed and Poland has been a dependable partner for policymakers in Berlin, Brussels and Washington. As president of the European Council, Poland's former prime minister, Donald Tusk, has become a central figure in European politics. Poland now outweighs Russia as a trading partner for Germany.

Walking around Kracow and Warsaw, I could see endless construction, endless banks offering high interest rates up to 9%...no sign of recession at all.
chuckMC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty good here in Wroclaw. I have gotten a lot of interest from many schools. I have interviews lined up almost everyday. Problem for me is getting the WORK PERMIT. As an American citizen (Non-EU citizen) it is tough to convince anyone to get the work permit. Sad
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of these posts remind me of the propaganda from the old days. "We are marching together into the radiant future.........."

Is that why so many Poles emigrate ?
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckMC wrote:
Its pretty good here in Wroclaw. I have gotten a lot of interest from many schools. I have interviews lined up almost everyday. Problem for me is getting the WORK PERMIT. As an American citizen (Non-EU citizen) it is tough to convince anyone to get the work permit. Sad

It's even more difficult now with the new law that requires you to earn 12xaverage monthly wage to obtain a residence permit. They can't get you a work permit without at least umowa zlecenie, which simply won't happen at most language schools.

Poland is no longer the "place to come" for Americans looking for an easy way into the EU. Germany is still doable, however.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Poland has grown by 33% largely due to EU money and a property boom (house values are weighed up measuring economic data). Salaries ain't gone up by 33% that's for sure. (9% interest rates? Read the small print.

People have more access to credit. Remind me. what's the average salary again?
dynow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:

Quote:
Poland has grown by 33% largely due to EU money and a property boom

EU money affects statistics, sure, but that money is not being handed out, matching dollar for dollar to each individual Pole, slowly pulling them out of their 35 sq meter apartment in a commie block into a reasonable house with a lawn and a car built after 1998. It ends up where it ends up, and lots of Poles continue to run the hell outta there. That's your evidence.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

Look at flat prices in Sopot. Absolutely daft. I plan to buy a place on the seaside but....it's just a rip off. Better looking abroad.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynow displays the common Anglo-saxon prejudice against living in an apartment. Not everyone dreams of living in a Home Counties style suburban bungalow !

"Commie block" indeed. To me, it is a "bijou pied-a-terre in a modern apartment block"."
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Poland has grown by 33% largely due to EU money and a property boom (house values are weighed up measuring economic data). Salaries ain't gone up by 33% that's for sure. (9% interest rates? Read the small print.

People have more access to credit. Remind me. what's the average salary again?

Errr...

Average wages in 2004 were around 30k PLN a year. Now it's nearly 45k PLN a year. So the economic data says that salaries indeed went up by that amount.

Yes, seaside prices are high, but that's a combination of being highly desirable and being pretty limited in quantity. Sopot is the richest gmina (or second richest) in Poland - property prices there are also based upon the fact that wealthy people from all over Poland tend to go to Sopot for reasons utterly unknown to me.

As for Poles "continuing to run out of there" - numbers are tiny in the wealthier voivodeships. People are leaving the poorer ones, sure, but that may also be cultural - escaping the suffocating influence of the family and religion. You'll notice that people are also moving from those places to places such as Warsaw, Wrocław and Poznań.

Wages might have stagnated for ESL teachers, but that's simply because of good old supply and demand. Still a huge demand for qualified teachers of kids, and one can more or less name his or her price.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

45k...er you mean less than 9 thousand pounds. Harrumph. Poland is expensive now unless you live on vegetables.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: a grain of salt Reply with quote

Regarding salaries, it's no secret that reported salaries in Poland don't account for some of the lucrative 'side jobs' many Poles have. So these low figures don't give you the complete picture.

When I was working in Poland, I made a conscious effort some years to limit my company income so I didn't hit a higher tax bracket. I compensated by doing more private lessons and other stuff. You'd better believe Poles are of the same mindset; they're the ones who often gave me the best advice about how to do this!

Take any reported income figures from Poland with a grain of salt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: