Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips on leaving ESL/Moving into non-teaching career?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhatter109

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Tips on leaving ESL/Moving into non-teaching career? Reply with quote

Hey all,
So I've been an ESL/EFL teacher for 5 years. I have an MA-TESOL, and have a pretty comfortable full time ESL job here in the USA. Over the past couple years, I've grown increasingly tired of teaching and realize that I don't want to be a teacher forever. I'd like to perhaps transition into a government job or non profit organization where I can put my experience with immigrants and refugees to good use.

Has anyone made this transition before? Any tips on organizations / websites to find jobs like this? I tried searching the US government job websites, but don't really know what to look for.

Cheers,
-Mad Hatter
esl_prof

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the advice columns in chronicle.com and chroniclevitae.com for the most recent articles on DIY and alt-ac careers.

Josh Boldt's and Katie Pryal's columns are a good starting point, but there's plenty of other good stuff there as well.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on how your transition goes!
esl_prof

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to check out websites such as The Versatile PhD. While, as the name suggests, they cater primarily to PhDs looking to transition out of academia, the reality is that most alt-ac jobs that PhDs end-up-doing don't really require a PhD anyway. In short, you'd likely find many of their tips and suggestions for transitioning out of teaching to be relevant to your own particular situation as well.

In addition, you might also consider this option:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=111701
madhatter109

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, ESL Prof! I'll check it out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: