Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for job leads starting in summer/fall '16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:
MuscatGary wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:
The OP's wife is French.

Makes no difference work wise just makes it easier to live there. He would still need a work visa and for US citizens getting a work visa with an army of Brits just over the water who are qualified for the job is almost impossible. There is the possibility of going auto - entrepreneur though.

I'm no expert but a cursory glance at the rules says that he can work. Anyway, he's asking about teaching not visas.

You can't teach in France as a US citizen without a visa so it's very relevant.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Working in France Reply with quote

I'm from the UK and my wife, who's from outside the EU, got a residence card after we got married, even though I wasn't resident in France at the time.

The OP has a master's degree and work experience. Why should he struggle to compete with teachers from the UK?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Working in France Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
I'm from the UK and my wife, who's from outside the EU, got a residence card after we got married, even though I wasn't resident in France at the time.

The OP has a master's degree and work experience. Why should he struggle to compete with teachers from the UK?

It's not about competing, it's about EU employment law which states that Non-EU workers can only be employed if there are no EU citizens with the required skills and/or experience. A bit unlikely as far as TEFL Teachers are concerned.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Working in France Reply with quote

Being married to a French citizen, the OP will be entitled to a residence visa. With that he'll be able to work legally. Preparing the necessary paperwork and going to the prefecture will be a pain, but that's France.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Working in France Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
Being married to a French citizen, the OP will be entitled to a residence visa. With that he'll be able to work legally. Preparing the necessary paperwork and going to the prefecture will be a pain, but that's France.

I live and learn!
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:
MuscatGary wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:
The OP's wife is French.

Makes no difference work wise just makes it easier to live there. He would still need a work visa and for US citizens getting a work visa with an army of Brits just over the water who are qualified for the job is almost impossible. There is the possibility of going auto - entrepreneur though.

I'm no expert but a cursory glance at the rules says that he can work. Anyway, he's asking about teaching not visas.

Are you going to give him advice on which airline to choose next? With all due respect, he might get some good advice regarding teaching and job openings here but you'd best just leave the unsolicited visa advice to someone else.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Living and working in France Reply with quote

And after the prefecture ... the social security office! Yet more bureaucracy! Crying or Very sad
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:
MuscatGary wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:
MuscatGary wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:
The OP's wife is French.

Are you going to give him advice on which airline to choose next? With all due respect, he might get some good advice regarding teaching and job openings here but you'd best just leave the unsolicited visa advice to someone else.

The right to work somewhere legally is a recurrent and important issue on here, especially for US citizens who want to work in Europe. You're a fool if you think otherwise and a muppet if you don't think a cautionary voice is useful.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:
MuscatGary wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:
MuscatGary wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:
The OP's wife is French.

The right to work somewhere legally is a recurrent and important issue on here, especially for US citizens who want to work in Europe. You're a fool if you think otherwise and a muppet if you don't think a cautionary voice is useful.

You're clearly both if you think a married guy (this implying a level of maturity who's not someone just out of college) is going to get visa advice on what is a big move from someone who, despite trying to talk with authority, has already been shown to be wrong in this very thread. He asked for job-seeking advice not bad visa advice. You didn't offer the first but you managed the second. Well done. And you call me the muppet?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:
MuscatGary wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:
MuscatGary wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:
MuscatGary wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:
The OP's wife is French.

You're clearly both if you think a married guy (this implying a level of maturity who's not someone just out of college) is going to get visa advice on what is a big move from someone who, despite trying to talk with authority, has already been shown to be wrong in this very thread. He asked for job-seeking advice not bad visa advice. You didn't offer the first but you managed the second. Well done. And you call me the muppet?

I lived and worked in Paris for years and never saw a US citizen find it easy to get a work visa even when married to a French citizen. Forewarned is forearmed. Being married to a French woman does give him an advantage because she can traverse the bureaucracy more easily but there will be tears at the prefecture. Trust me.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Crying game Reply with quote

Quote:
there will be tears at the prefecture. Trust me.

Only if he doesn't provide all the documents required. I imagine he'll be given a one-year titre de sejour in the first instance, but as he's married to a Frenchwoman it could be a five-year one. After a year or two he'll be eligible to apply for French nationality if he feels that way inclined.
kpjf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:
I know of nobody who got any university job through answering an ad.

Now you know one: moi! Very Happy

Nicky_McG wrote:
Then TESOL France are a bunch of rip-off merchants aren't they? Charging you for the right to look at an advertised job... That was my point.

If the OP is looking for a well-paid job then he should be looking for university work. Otherwise he'll end up getting a job in a place like Wall Street with crap pay and be bitter about his experience in France forever after.

What I should have said is that there are no websites offering the kind of decent university positions you can get through speculative applications. I had a look at the pole emploi and they're, generally, not offering good positions.

Of course I agree you shouldn't pay to be on a mailing list but "Teaching jobs in France" is free and apart from the university job I got through them, I can guarantee you that there are other university based jobs advertised that I get in my email account from time to time. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to register to this mailout.

Nicky have you registered to this mailout? If not, with all due respect how would you know what jobs are advertised?
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're talking about public university work if my memory serves me correctly. That's a possibility (depending on age as lecteurs tend to be quite young and at 30 I was the oldest by at least 5 years) but not a long-term plan given that it's two years max without postgrad study. The private universities I work for don't advertise as

1) they receive so many speculative applications there's no point

and, more importantly

2) they prefer a recommendation

That's why having a network and contacts are so important in that particular field.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kpjf wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:
I know of nobody who got any university job through answering an ad.

Now you know one: moi! Very Happy

Nicky_McG wrote:
Then TESOL France are a bunch of rip-off merchants aren't they? Charging you for the right to look at an advertised job... That was my point.

If the OP is looking for a well-paid job then he should be looking for university work. Otherwise he'll end up getting a job in a place like Wall Street with crap pay and be bitter about his experience in France forever after.

What I should have said is that there are no websites offering the kind of decent university positions you can get through speculative applications. I had a look at the pole emploi and they're, generally, not offering good positions.

Of course I agree you shouldn't pay to be on a mailing list but "Teaching jobs in France" is free and apart from the university job I got through them, I can guarantee you that there are other university based jobs advertised that I get in my email account from time to time. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to register to this mailout.

Nicky have you registered to this mailout? If not, with all due respect how would you know what jobs are advertised?

Sure the OP can register, I want him to get a job. What I was trying to stress is that there are far more positions available than those advertised and they tend to be better ones.

Fair play to you if that's how you got your job. It's not the way any school I work for, or know of (in the North) operates but I suppose there are exceptions. For example, one of my mother in law's customers wants to speak to me to offer me hours despite never having met me. The reason is because there is at least some connection between her and me and she prefers that to advertising.

Also, my French wife works for a recruitment software company recently acquired by an American company. There are massive disagreements about speculative applications as the Americans simply can't accept that it's the norm in France. Whether connections and networks represent an outdated form of recruitment is another matter.

I was more surprised at the fact someone would recommend a website where you have to pay to get a job list. That's bad advice as far as I'm concerned and I'd also like to see people leave the visa advice to the experts
kpjf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, get you now. You're mainly referring to private uni work. But, can't you get connections from starting off in public universities? As you say you won't get a private uni job from outside of France, whereas with public ones I think you can (well, at least I did) so wouldn't that be a good start in France: experience in country/building connections, then applying for a private one (speculative application)? Looking on Wikipedia there aren't that many private universities in the whole of France (if Wiki is accurate), but tonnes of public ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: