Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

conflicting info on tourist visa extension vs. non-immigrant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itinerantteacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: conflicting info on tourist visa extension vs. non-immigrant Reply with quote

Hi, yes I have used the search function, but can't find this specific answer:

some schools have told me i can get the paperwork (after signing work contract), go to Laos, and receive a 90 day non-immigrant B visa, that can then be extended (to finish out a 6 month, one semester contract)

other schools have told me to get a 30 day tourist visa extension, then go to Laos and get a 60 day tourist visa; then by the time the 120 days is over (30 visa on arrival, 30 extension, 60 day in neighboring country), the school will have the non-immigrant B ready.

are these both wrong, partially wrong, ???

cheers for any info.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: conflicting info on tourist visa extension vs. non-immig Reply with quote

itinerantteacher wrote:
Hi, yes I have used the search function, but can't find this specific answer:

some schools have told me i can get the paperwork (after signing work contract), go to Laos, and receive a 90 day non-immigrant B visa, that can then be extended (to finish out a 6 month, one semester contract)

other schools have told me to get a 30 day tourist visa extension, then go to Laos and get a 60 day tourist visa; then by the time the 120 days is over (30 visa on arrival, 30 extension, 60 day in neighboring country), the school will have the non-immigrant B ready.

are these both wrong, partially wrong, ???

cheers for any info.

Working on a tourist visa is illegal. Working without a work permit is illegal. You cannot get a work permit without a "B." Why not get a one year multi-entry in Vientiane? A 90 day report is free, while an extension is a PIA. What is legal and what schools tell people to do, are two different things. The schools never take the fall, when immigration/labor laws are broken.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

Check out Thaivisa.com for more specific information on visas ....lots of Edutainers are now working in Thailand on multiple entry tourist visas...although it is illegal many Thai government/private schools nowadays won't bother donig the paperwork due to the high turnover of teachers....and will only help you extend your visa stay in the Land of Smiles....at your cost. Shocked
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The first part is correct, but normally you would have a one-year contract and a work permit would applied for, and then the visa would be extended to the end of your contract and the expiration date of the work permit.

Why are they talking a 6-month contract other than to avoid admitting they can't get a work permit or to avoid getting you one, if they can.

As Hermosillo points out, either way, you'd technically be illegal, which is not a huge problem, but still puts you at a disadvantage.

Quote:

Again, the first part is correct, but the second part seems suspect. Why do they need 4 months to prepare the paperwork for the proper visa?

Quote:
Why not get a one year multi-entry in Vientiane?

Is this possible? What paperwork is required?

Supposedly, a multi-entry 6-month visa is supposed to be launched next month but it is still a tourist visa.

Quote:
....lots of Edutainers are now working in Thailand on multiple entry tourist visas...although it is illegal many Thai government/private schools nowadays won't bother donig the paperwork due to the high turnover of teachers....and will only help you extend your visa stay in the Land of Smiles....at your cost.

Yes, I have also been hearing that schools aren't getting teachers WPs these days and that somehow the process had become too difficult and costly. Regarding high teacher turnover, basically the Thais have backed themselves into a corner and created a vicious cycle whereby they don't offer much of anything and expect the world from the other side, which of course, leads to HIGHER turnover.

Back to the OP, hold out for a one-year contract & visa with WP.

If you only want to teach 6 months, then go with the first choice above and get the non-Immigration B visa. At least then you could claim that you were in the process of applying for a work permit.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schools hand out a lot of sh1t but the bottom line is that the paperwork for a visa application costs the school nothing. The visa application itself is 2000 baht and gets you a 90-day single entry visa.

The school, on your behalf will obtain a temporary teacher's permit from Krusapha (500 baht) and proof that you meet the legal requirements (degree, no criminal record, and native speaker or TOEIC over 600).

They then apply for your work permit (takes a week and costs 3100 baht).

They then take you back to immigration with the same paperwork you needed for the visa + the paperwork for the work permit + the work permit and will obtain an extension to the end of your contract (up to 1 year from date of application). cost is 1900 baht.

Total costs for the school (2000 + 500 + 3100 + 1900) 7500 baht + some paperwork (like copies of your documents, copies of their documents (registration and license), and your work permit.

Schools that claim expense or delay for months are doing just that, delaying in the hope of saving the 7000 baht and responsibility for you (not like you can complain about being an illegal worker). Don't accept their crap and move on. It's not like they can hold you to a contract since you can't legally work until you have a visa and work permit anyway.

Hermosillo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
Schools hand out a lot of sh1t but the bottom line is that the paperwork for a visa application costs the school nothing. The visa application itself is 2000 baht and gets you a 90-day single entry visa.

The school, on your behalf will obtain a temporary teacher's permit from Krusapha (500 baht) and proof that you meet the legal requirements (degree, no criminal record, and native speaker or TOEIC over 600).

They then apply for your work permit (takes a week and costs 3100 baht).

They then take you back to immigration with the same paperwork you needed for the visa + the paperwork for the work permit + the work permit and will obtain an extension to the end of your contract (up to 1 year from date of application). cost is 1900 baht.

Total costs for the school (2000 + 500 + 3100 + 1900) 7500 baht + some paperwork (like copies of your documents, copies of their documents (registration and license), and your work permit.

Schools that claim expense or delay for months are doing just that, delaying in the hope of saving the 7000 baht and responsibility for you (not like you can complain about being an illegal worker). Don't accept their crap and move on. It's not like they can hold you to a contract since you can't legally work until you have a visa and work permit anyway.

Well written, detailed, accurate post. Unfortunately, this also puts you in an environment, where they have extra incentive to get rid of you after several months, and hire the next backpacker, who is willing to work illegally.
itinerantteacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject: thanks and follow up question Reply with quote

thanks for the info; situation clearer, but still have one question.

if i go to Lao and apply for 90 day non-imm B (study, volunteer, etc...), do they need documents (school tuition form), onward transport (ticket) or .....

i prefer to get the 90 day non-imm B, but do not have enough time to get contract papers sorted before going (holiday tomorrow, everything closed)

I would not want to begin teaching on 60 day tourist visa, but that may be the only option due to time constraints since the second semester begins next week.

any other info is much appreciated )))
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if i go to Lao[s] and apply for 90 day non-imm B (study, volunteer, etc...), do they need documents (school tuition form), onward transport (ticket) or .....

Oh, yes, of course, lots of them. I am sure there is a list somewhere online on a govt website or other forums, plus other info/advice.

You can take the bus or train up to Nong Khai and then cross the friendship bridge, but your best option might be to fly. Basically, you need to get a visa-on-arrival for Laos either way. That's very easy and costs $35 (or used to). You have to go to the Thai consulate, not the embassy. It's right beside Lao-Singapore "College", pretty far from the river, so you'll need a tuk tuk to get there. They will know where to go. You have to apply in the morning and pick it up the next afternoon, I think.

Don't forget passport photos for both visas (Lao and Thai).

Generally, you can pay in shops, restaurants, etc in Thai baht but you will get change in Lao kip.

If you have any specific questions, please post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: