Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1300 USD in Warsaw
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on the subject of house sharing, age is important.

If I inhabited today some of the buildings I shared as a student, I would barely be considered one rung up from a street bum.
chuckMC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonpiwo is right. There's only two reasons to be in Poland: 1. Girls. 2. THE GIRLS Smile. By the way, I met a very stunning girl last week, who is way out of my league. Despite the crap situation in here, she is making my time in Poland all worthwhile! Cool

But seriously, I assume the OP is an older guy (maybe in his 30s or 40s). If so, its probably a better decision to go back home. Teaching in Poland would be a waste of time.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grown-ups do not share accommodation unless they are

students

or

in the military

The life portrayed in "Friends" is not for real.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

The calculation is what it is.

Have you been to Doha or Dubai Delph? I'd rather earn 30,000 PLN a month with free housing and spend my free time on the beach with the missus. Home by 4.30 every day and have a 4-day week.

Oh and answering the question?

Thought not.
dynow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delph wrote:

Quote:

More to the point, anyone entrepreneurial enough can easily put together an extra 1000-2000zl a month without much effort.

really?

a beginner Poland TEFL'er working split shifts M-F with no car, maybe some saturday hours as well.....can "easily" bag an extra 2 grand a month?

I think they'd find you inside a tram twitching on the floor with foam coming out of your mouth.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Grown-ups do not share accommodation

If only that was so. In the real world, most people beginning their careers have no choice but to do so.

dragonpiwo wrote:
Have you been to Doha or Dubai Delph? I'd rather earn 30,000 PLN a month with free housing and spend my free time on the beach with the missus. Home by 4.30 every day and have a 4-day week.

30,000PLN a month? That means 2000USD a week, which doesn't seem particularly credible to be honest. I remember reading about jobs in some really horrific places as a teacher, and the highest salary I've ever heard of was around 70,000USD/year - and it wasn't anywhere nice like Doha or Dubai.

What question, by the way?

Dynow - 2000zl is 500zl a week. Any fool can make that with a bit of proofreading or copywriting. Polish businesses are in dire need of people to work on a freelance basis doing this stuff, and the money can often be very good as it's all a business expense anyway.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I've got a pal at Aramco who pulls in $110,000. Shell offered me a job on $15,000/month 2 years ago 28 on, 28 off. BAe pays over $75k with free housing.

You don't know what you are on about. These companies find you. You rarely find them.
dynow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphiandomine wrote:

Quote:
Dynow - 2000zl is 500zl a week. Any fool can make that with a bit of proofreading or copywriting. Polish businesses are in dire need of people to work on a freelance basis doing this stuff, and the money can often be very good as it's all a business expense anyway.

OK, let's talk turkey. how many of you, during your first year in Poland working all those goofy split shifts, weekends, etc., managed to CONSISTENTLY pull in an extra 2,000zl per month doing side work?

Apparently you were all "fools" if you weren't.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly didn't. I do now, but it's taken a few years to build a reputation. I don't advertise. Never have, never will.

The first year I was here I lived by myself. For the last seven years I've been sharing my flat in the Old Town by choice. I'm not a kid. Far from it. I'm sure I'm the oldest guy on this forum. I just like to have someone to talk to.

In November I was offered a job in Oman. 20,000 PLN a month, tax free, and a lot of other perks. I agonized over my decision for a week before turning down the offer. I didn't want to leave Gdansk for two years. What dragon-piwo says applies to him. I have a different attitude towards Poland. I like it here.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most people will agree that there is a huge difference between sharing a cheap property with strangers and renting out one of the bedrooms in your own property.

Firstly, you can be extremely selective in who you let in. No nutters or noisy b@stards, thankyou very much. Secondly, you are in complete control. It's your house, not theirs. It's not a democracy & you, as the dictator, do not have to put up with any nonsense (should it arise). And lastly, the quality of the property (location, decor, furnishings, standard of bathrooms & kitchens, and overall condition) should be a whole lot better than that found in a house-share.

Would you Scottie fancy renting a room long-term in a flat with 3 or 4 twenty-somethings?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:53 am    Post subject: did it once Reply with quote

Did it once in Poland over a summer period. It was an utter disaster. The Pole just stayed in his room drinking, toking and listening to Polish hiphop at all hours at max volume. That was too much of a Polish reality experience. He worked his ass off and was totally broke, tried to screw me on the electric bill, so I just packed my case and took a walk.

Never again.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: share, smare... Reply with quote

I don't know why everyone's so hung up on this sharing a flat business. I reiterate that on 4,900zl/mo you don't have to share a flat in Warsaw. You can if you, like Scottie, choose to, but it's not a matter of necessity.

And I agree that delph's dead wrong about being able to able to pick up an extra 1-2k every month "without much effort". Sure, after you've established yourself and built up a decent client base, you could do this. But as someone just starting out? Not a chance. It takes time and contacts to get those balls rolling.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: share, smare... Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
And I agree that delph's dead wrong about being able to able to pick up an extra 1-2k every month "without much effort". Sure, after you've established yourself and built up a decent client base, you could do this. But as someone just starting out? Not a chance. It takes time and contacts to get those balls rolling.

Well, that's exactly what hard work is about. Teaching is usually quite nice in that no-one is holding you at work pointlessly, so you can put those hours to use quite effectively.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

And therein lies the problem. No-one got into EFL to work this/her ass off. When you have to get up at 5.30 to do business classes, you don't have a LIFE. If you're teaching late in the evening, you go out after and eat or have a beer. Who goes there and does early mornings, afternoons and evenings? Half the remedies here ie work Saturdays etc are all well and good but when you work all the time, life is dull. So you teach kids all day for your 3000 a month then do privates every evening just to stay afloat.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: erm... Reply with quote

Lol, delph, you post that a newbie to the game can pick up an extra 1-2k "without much effort". Then you do a complete 180 and it's "well, that's exactly what hard work is about."

Do you even read this stuff before you post it? You can't have it both ways.

I don't often agree with piwo, but he's right on this one. Not point in living in Poland and working your ass off with no end in sight. Might as well go somewhere less pleasant and earn better money.

To enjoy oneself in Poland, one must be content with a more modest income. I don't mean some paltry 3k a month. Experienced, well-connected teachers can double or even triple this figure in Warsaw and still have time for piwo (i.e. beer, not the guy) in the evenings, or mornings, or whenever they've scheduled their free time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: