Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conversation Assistant Programme? Help please!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

You've posted your inquiries in quite a few country forums.

At 22 years of age (and assuming you have at least a BA), what are your plans/goals in terms of TEFL? Are they short term for a year or two, or are you looking for something long term as a possible career? Additionally, what are your target countries?

I'm looking at TEFL as primarily a gap year. If I enjoyed it then I would maybe extend it by a couple years, but at the minute I am planning to come back to my home country in the not-too-distant future and do a Masters course and settle down.

In terms of countries I'm not that picky (Hence why I've been posting pretty much everywhere) but somewhere in the EU with a language that would be useful to learn a bit would be ideal.

I think that's the main reason why I'm considering this CAP program, because it's in Spain/EU and is also timed perfectly for a gap year. And I'm thinking if, at the end, I decided I wanted to stay, I could save up some money, do a CELTA/TEFL and find work.
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:

There were about twelve people on my CELTA course, one of whom was illegal (US) and one who dropped out with a day to go (therefore had nothing as you're not going to put that on your CV) and none of them had any trouble finding work. A friend of mine did the TEFL Scotland course and easily got work in Madrid. The TEFL Scotland course is more for you to make you confident and might help with some employers.. I know plenty of teachers in Madrid with no qualifications.

I'm not a risk taker but I wouldn't see trying to get work in Madrid as a risk as there are loads of places with vacancies. Lack of qualifications might slightly limit you but most places can't be so fussy. Obviously, it's up to you but I think the program you're considering is a bad deal (alarms bells should be ringing due to the fact they're having to recruit outside Spain). One of the joys of Spain is the cafe/bar culture and you'll miss all that.

Thanks for the info. Although I'm still applying for the CAP programme I have also been looking on the TEFL Scotland (TEFL.org I presume you mean?) and considering what you suggested.

The only thing is that as far as I am aware the TEFL Scotland is a 120-hour combined online and weekend practical course. They still have places for a weekend course in September, but is it feasible that I would be able to get through the online curriculum in time to go to Spain in early October?
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruaridh321 wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:

There were about twelve people on my CELTA course, one of whom was illegal (US) and one who dropped out with a day to go (therefore had nothing as you're not going to put that on your CV) and none of them had any trouble finding work. A friend of mine did the TEFL Scotland course and easily got work in Madrid. The TEFL Scotland course is more for you to make you confident and might help with some employers.. I know plenty of teachers in Madrid with no qualifications.

I'm not a risk taker but I wouldn't see trying to get work in Madrid as a risk as there are loads of places with vacancies. Lack of qualifications might slightly limit you but most places can't be so fussy. Obviously, it's up to you but I think the program you're considering is a bad deal (alarms bells should be ringing due to the fact they're having to recruit outside Spain). One of the joys of Spain is the cafe/bar culture and you'll miss all that.

Thanks for the info. Although I'm still applying for the CAP programme I have also been looking on the TEFL Scotland (TEFL.org I presume you mean?) and considering what you suggested.

The only thing is that as far as I am aware the TEFL Scotland is a 120-hour combined online and weekend practical course. They still have places for a weekend course in September, but is it feasible that I would be able to get through the online curriculum in time to go to Spain in early October?

Yes that's the one I meant. I seem to remember you can do the weekend course without doing the grammar part online (I used to work for them and certainly didn't get the impression that the students had much grammar knowledge).
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:

Yes that's the one I meant. I seem to remember you can do the weekend course without doing the grammar part online (I used to work for them and certainly didn't get the impression that the students had much grammar knowledge).

Thanks for the info.

I checked the website and it looks like a 20-hour weekend course with the option of either just doing the weekend course, or topping it up with online learning to either 50/100/120/140 hours.

I'm not trying to contradict you or anything, but would a mere one-weekend TEFL course really stand me a chance of getting a job in Spain if I were to go in October?

It's just almost everywhere I look online for TEFL it's always "4 week course, 120 hours etc..." I'm just worried that it would not really be appealing to employers?

Any info would be great Smile
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:

Thanks for the info.

I checked the website and it looks like a 20-hour weekend course with the option of either just doing the weekend course, or topping it up with online learning to either 50/100/120/140 hours.

I'm not trying to contradict you or anything, but would a mere one-weekend TEFL course really stand me a chance of getting a job in Spain if I were to go in October?

It's just almost everywhere I look online for TEFL it's always "4 week course, 120 hours etc..." I'm just worried that it would not really be appealing to employers?

Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruaridh321 wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:

Thanks for the info.

I understand your concerns about going to Spain but, honestly, most teachers have nothing and nobody is going to look at your TEFL certificate and ask you how many hours you did. The fact you have it will be a bonus, but it's not a deal breaker for most places. I was offered several jobs and worked in two academies and worked for two businesses offering in-company classes. The only place that was interested in seeing the CELTA (or any kind of certificate) was International House.

Sometimes in adverts you'll see ridiculous requirements about qualifications and experience but, usually, they will accept far less and are just trying to make themselves more professional. Similarly you'll receive advice on this forum from people who have never lived or worked in a specific country (look through their posting history and you'll see they offer advice in every country forum) and always exaggerate the experience and qualifications required.

Feel free to PM me with more specific questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: