Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Countries that definitely hire all year round?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Countries that definitely hire all year round? Reply with quote

I hope the post of this thread isn't too patronising. I'm a newbie and I am really interested to hear opinions/advice on countries that hire English teachers all year round.

Although I have a (very) basic understanding of the TEFL job markets and hiring seasons, what I'm finding is that I will research online and find countries that allegedly hire all year round (such as Turkey for example) but then on here and on other websites, it turns out hiring isn't really year round and the jobs available most of the time are either part-time or not good.

In your opinion, which countries in the world would be best for someone like me to go and study a 4-week TEFL/CELTA course and then immediately jump into the job-seeking process and find work after the course? At any time of the year?

Thanks for any information or advice Smile
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume you are looking for a situation where regular full time contracts for 10-12 month periods can be begun at any point during the year.

I think this is probably not available anywhere.

But what I can speak for: not likely on the European continent. Sure, you'd probably find something at most times of the year, barring July/August, but outside of September/October and maybe January, you'd be looking at putting together part time stuff and taking on bits and pieces to put together something approaching full time in most cases.
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I presume you are looking for a situation where regular full time contracts for 10-12 month periods can be begun at any point during the year.

I think this is probably not available anywhere.

But what I can speak for: not likely on the European continent. Sure, you'd probably find something at most times of the year, barring July/August, but outside of September/October and maybe January, you'd be looking at putting together part time stuff and taking on bits and pieces to put together something approaching full time in most cases.

Thanks for the info.

Why is this the case? Am I correct in thinking that the jobs usually available year-round are the ones at language institutes, whereas the contracted jobs available in September etc... are with schools/universities?
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Most private language schools operate on 10 or 12 month contracts with their clients (usually businesspeople). The majority of these are September - June, but some are January - December (fewer of these because the business companies know that their staff mostly will be on holiday July/August and thus not taking advantage of English lessons as much).

The majority of work available to basically-qualified newbie teachers is in the private language school sector.

Regular schools are mostly off the radar for EFL teachers anyway. It would be fairly rare for someone with entry-level qualifications to get a job in Europe at a regular state school. English classes in these schools are normally taught by qualified locals. University jobs require advanced related qualifications in almost all cases, excepting some private universities. There is more info on these in the France forum, if you're interested.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you have a degree AND are a native speaker (from one of the main NES supply countries*) then most of Asia has jobs available year round with significant increases in job availability just before the beginning of school terms.

IF you do not have a degree or are not from one of the main 7 countries* then it will always be an uphill battle since the degree is commonly a visa requirement (rather than an employer requirement) and a TEFL course is often NOT a requirement at all.

*UK, Ire, USA, Can, Aus, NZ, S.Africa.

PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically any country in Latin America. Just don't show up around any holidays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: